You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

Monaghan. Is this a terrible ship, or am I playing it wrong?

25 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,665 battles

As the title states, I can't figure this thing out. 

I am lucky to see 10k in this before I die. It seems to be spotted from space. Even DDs in smoke can see me before I see them. 

Do I go full torp/AA spec and say screw the guns?

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles

Run the A hull.  The B hull turns you into a torp boat.  Some players can make it work.  I can't.  But players like @MoeLykit do real well in the B hull.  It can do well.  It's basically a Farragut IIRC.  So play the A hull like a Farragut.  The B hull plays like an IJN torp boat.  It's almost like a poor man's Harekaze. 

Members
2,533 posts
7,200 battles

if you have replays of your matches in it, send them to @Lord_Zath , he provides feedback and commentary on replays and it is very useful for new players or people trying new ships

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

Both.

Seriously though, it's not great. But it's loads of fun and capable of great games. Play B hull... there is no point in A hull. Use TRB/

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

I won one in the event and also played it enough to get the flag. After that I sold it as I just never did like the thing all that much. If there comes a time when I figure I just have to have it again I'll buy it with coal. The only way I could successfully play it is with the long-range torps. The lack of guns, however, made it sort of a "one-trick pony." If they were good you would see them in Ranked, which you don't. 

[SIM]
Members
3,454 posts
5,316 battles

It’s a true Mehbote. Certainly she isn’t an easy ship to pull numbers out of, but the potential is there.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,181 posts
16,753 battles
7 hours ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

if you have replays of your matches in it, send them to @Lord_Zath , he provides feedback and commentary on replays and it is very useful for new players or people trying new ships

o/

[-BRS-]
Members
2,527 posts
15,785 battles

I just got done finishing ranked spirit in it with the a hull actually had a lot of fun

it's better than the Farragut in all ways and with the torpedo boost reload,    wow

[VOC]
Members
83 posts
64 battles

IDK Monaghan because I don't own it. What I do know is I got a sound beating from Monaghan while playing Shinonome in Ranked today (EU). Put my Shima 19 pointer in it but I didn't stand a chance. So perhaps for competitive that ship is awesome?

[5IN]
Members
236 posts
18,976 battles

the MOE-noggin is a hilarious troll boat and you get 2 ships in one the 2 gun torp reloader can be devastating once you learn how slow the torps are and launch them in the right place I love that boat its in the end of EVERY Boop compilation video I make 

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Monaghan's a decent cap contester with A hull and is a damn good torpedo boat in B hull. However, with B hull you have only 2 guns so don't attempt to duke it out with anything, just run.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,746 battles

With the A hull, she is a C hull Farragut. Run her as such and enjoy (if you need it) the convenience of a retraining ship for US destroyer captains.

With the B hull, she cooks torpedo soup but her guns aren't good for much except maybe starting fires on ships you just caused to flood. Here she teaches cautiousness and patience.

With the B hull specced for AA, her finest hour is in the Dynamo op.

[R-F]
Members
1,193 posts
7,860 battles

I have it, I use the torp boat variant (because if you don't, it's basically just a farragut).  I kind of hate it.  The torps are great but the reload time is sooooo long for its tier and you can't use the guns for anything, so you spend a considerable length of time every battle driving around waiting for your torpedoes to reload.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,192 battles

I play only co-op and don't really care for destroyers. I have a full AA spec'd Mahan and captain that I use to farm the Dynamo Op and alternate between using the Mahan and Sims. I got the Monaghan out of one of the free Santa's crates and set it up for the scenario as well, full AA. It rocks, it is a plane slaughtering fool. Don't kill many of the little boats but it destroys the aircraft in that mode. 

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles

This was my best battle with the Monaghan using her as a Torp destroyer with B hull. I switched back to the A hull about two weeks ago and I like having that aft gun to throw a little extra HE with my torps. She's a fun ship and can handle a DD knife fight pretty good. She's good at contesting caps and torp running BBs. Just don't sit in her smoke too long or you'll pay for it.

Monaghan12018-08-30.png

Members
503 posts

I got mine for free (Still don't how and why to this day) and she was my favourite premium until I got the Warspite during the RN Event. Picky little tin can. I have over 114K XP in her already. 

[WOLF8]
Members
79 posts
14,419 battles

I was wondering with the soon to be release CV "fix" that US DD with AA focused builds be more of a benefit to the team? There was a Scenarios, think it was the second Dunkirk where having her built as an AA focused ship proved very helpful.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
18 minutes ago, Ens_Stovall said:

I was wondering with the soon to be release CV "fix" that US DD with AA focused builds be more of a benefit to the team? There was a Scenarios, think it was the second Dunkirk where having her built as an AA focused ship proved very helpful.

If you start seeing more CVs in matches, and they attack one squadron at a time, I think that lots of ships will start running AA builds.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
401 posts
3,317 battles

Got one in an event box. Sold it.  Got another one in a Santa crate.  I might actually play it one of these days if I actually remember that it's there.   It's not bad, but it just doesn't stick out in my collection for some odd reason.  Currently, my fleet at Tier VI has 'Bucky", T-61, Anshan, and Farragut also.

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,474 battles

The B hull can be loads of fun at times. I got a Kraken in it the other day. It maybe just me but it feels like the 2 guns on it have a bit of a punch the problem is it's just not enough lead headed down range. I use the guns for finishing off other DDs after they eat one of my torps.

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,665 battles
On 12/23/2018 at 3:53 AM, Ens_Stovall said:

Yea, i wish I had this ship for that. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles
On 12/22/2018 at 12:00 PM, Snargfargle said:

I won one in the event and also played it enough to get the flag. After that I sold it as I just never did like the thing all that much. If there comes a time when I figure I just have to have it again I'll buy it with coal. The only way I could successfully play it is with the long-range torps. The lack of guns, however, made it sort of a "one-trick pony." If they were good you would see them in Ranked, which you don't. 

I saw it with surprising regularity in ranked. Majority ran b hull, which was generally useless,  though a handful of players used A hull to win caps. 

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

I saw it with surprising regularity in ranked. Majority ran b hull, which was generally useless,  though a handful of players used A hull to win caps. 

I think that it was OK in an only tier VI match. However, it did poorly for me when up-tiered. I gave it more than a chance too as I played it long enough to get the flag. I never played it again so I sold it to get a free port slot.