Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheLastSterling

Need Tips for "Lucky" Jervis

6 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
Members
69 posts
5,786 battles

So Since playing the RN DDs starting from Acasta to Jervis I've felt unimpressed. I'm coming from gunboat DD experience from the USN DDs to these new "defensive" DDs but I just find them lacking. So far my experience in the Jervis compared to my time in the Mahan, the Jervis doesn't do the damage that Mahan can, while at the same time taking in more damage than normally in other DDs. I'm not sure if other players are feeling the same way about the Jervis, but some help would be nice. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,930 posts
10,828 battles

I have Royal Navy DDs seem to either love or hate players depending on people’s playstyle. I took to them really well and have done well with them, but some people I know never can get theirs to work for them while other DDs work for them. The following advice should help you though, and hopefully you can adjust to Royal Navy DD’s demanding playstyle since if you play their style they will server you well.

Ok to start with they need 10 point Captain at the bare minimum. With the skills Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, Torpedo Reload Expert, and Concealment Expert. Following skills need to be Adrenaline Rush and Suvivability Expert. I experimentally tried them at first with less than a 10 point Captain and the results were disasterous.

You also need premium charges of the Smoke screen since laying smoke screens often is quite helpful to the playstyle of Royal Navy DDs. Want to light some fires a BB? Then smoke up and set a couple fires then run. Got little close to Enemy you just launched Torps at? Lay some smoke to cover your retreat. And with your hydro you can pick up on incoming torpedoes so that you are not taken by surprise while in smoke. Other smoke trick is slam your DD in full reverse when enemy planes are coming to you and smoke up. You have enough smoke charges and often enough to help keep you safe from air attacks.

Royal Navy DDs besides of course being able to attack BBs, they are great DD killers with only the occasional DD being able to out gun you. Although you do need to get used to using your RN DD guns, they do have their own style after all. But you will find they can be quite good.

The torpedoes seem to hit hard enough, but finding the proper times and places to use them is the key since you often don’t have much space between your minimum detection range and your Torpedo maximum range, but enough to allow for some stealth launching of torpedoes. My favorite though is spring out from behind islands to attack close range so your target can’t really react in time. While your RN DDs lack Speed Boosts, they do have good acceleration which aids in their agility and compact sized hulls which makes you a more difficult target to hit.

[USCG]
Members
366 posts
14,571 battles

I enjoyed my grind through the British DD line. I found them stealthy with solid guns & torps. The quick smoke took some time to get used to but after that it was enjoyable. I really found having the IFHE captain skill a must have for tier 8 and up. Really helps with the damage, especially against other DDs. I’d take the Jervis over the Mahan any day, mostly for the lower detection range. 

Good luck with the grind. I thinks you’ll love the next DD, Lightning.

[UTWE]
Members
235 posts
3,215 battles

Loved Jervis so much. You just need islands and support, you can cap but only in specific situations, for instance if there is just 1 or maybe 2 DDs capping you take it out using your OP guns but you have to make sure to not get distracted by your torpedoes because of the short range and bad angles and the temptation of the single fire torps (although mostly good they take longer to fire than a regular spread), if you try to get them off on a target you will spend a lot of time broadside firing your torps at a target that has a good chance of dodging your torps, while in the meantime you could have been taking advantage of your great gun angles. In terms of battleship gameplay, I would recommend targeting the slower ones which there are a lot of when you are top tier, reason for this is because your torps are pretty slow and because of the awesome concealment slow BBs will have a hard time dodging. I was mostly using HE when I went through it because its' fire chance is awesome, I got 4 arsonists while I played Jervis. All RN DDs above it are totally worth it, keep grinding good luck.

Members
454 posts
1,050 battles

I have just arrived to her and simply fallen in love. Compared to Icarus this is a beast. Guns almost as good as Gadja Mada with better torps and concealment.

[70]
Members
1,073 posts
5,333 battles

Anyone who can play and enjoy Jervis has one of the following traits apply to them:

1. Have not played Gadjah Mada with a 10+ point captain.

2. Was shafted when playing Gadjah Mada by player-specific RNG (some folks systematically can't hit targets with QE like me, others find it a laser, similar issues with DD torp spread RNG)

3. Absurd Optimism/Hopeless stupidity.

4. Trolling on forums.

Sign in to follow this