You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Cromwell

Let's talk about Monarch

15 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
1,877 battles

Could you guys please explain to me how to use Monarch? It has such unreliable guns and I don't understand how it's supposed to be used. HE never seems to light fires because its fire chance isn't that great and its AP is laughable. Is there a secret to this thing? I'm about to skip it with Free XP

[CLARE]
Members
323 posts

From reading wiki here:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Monarch

your only good thing is the fast reload.

From wiki:

Research

Captains should prioritize Monarch’s upgraded Fire Control System module first, vastly improving upon her 16.5 km stock range. Then, take her Hull upgrade for an extra 7,000 hit points and improved rudder shift time. Save the improved Propulsion module for last.

Captains then have a choice between a Spotting Aircraft (While active, a spotter plane circles the ship providing enhanced main battery firing range.) or Catapult Fighter (While active, a fighter plane circles the ship providing additional protection from enemy aircraft by engaging incoming fighters and bombers.); the former is more effective due to the limited main battery range of Monarch.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,789 posts
10,277 battles

Shilling my own content!

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,187 posts
7,732 battles
18 minutes ago, ij70 said:

your only good thing is the fast reload.

Um, how about best concealment ever? Suddenly blopping cruisers from 12km away is hilarious

• Cool 1

[CLARE]
Members
323 posts
1 minute ago, vak_ said:

Um, how about best concealment ever? Suddenly blopping cruisers from 11km away is hilarious

Yes, wiki mentioned it. 

[PNG]
Members
4,564 posts
11,911 battles

I found the Monarch to be a good ship. Of course I shot mainly AP instead of slinging HE like everyone else. On top of that I found it to be very consistent in damage output and also one of my best preforming battleships as far as stats go.

[MIA]
2,480 posts
8,156 battles

Use concealment to get close, then unleash powerful AP that is very consistent thanks to having decent dispersion and a short fuse. HE is very good to fall back on. It's my favourite T8 BB because it is strong all around and has no real weaknesses while having the best concealment.

• Cool 1

[SPCU]
Members
786 posts
5,018 battles

Good armor. Great concealment. Give flanking and bow tanking a whirl... use AP almost exclusively and it will reward you well.

[SYN]
Members
15,289 posts
11,987 battles

Good armor: Fallacy, it merely has an underwater citadel, otherwise it's extremely squishy

Good accuracy: Fallacy, it has awful accuracy

Powerful AP: Fallacy, it has the worst penetration and many T7 ships will beat it

Bloop cruisers from 12km: Fallacy, the accuracy is poor and the AP has no punch, so many cruisers can broadside tank its AP at 12km.

Good concealment: True, best in its tier bracket.

Go Flank with it: Fallacy, it doesn't have the speed to flank

Go bow tank with it: Extreme Fallacy, it doesn't have the armor, nor HP, nor the super heal to do that, you will just get melted.

[PVE]
Members
826 posts
10,920 battles

Don't listen to these trolls trying to say it's a sneaky cruiser killer... sure it is, and I'm Bill Gates. 

Try sneaking up on anything and as soon as you are discovered have fun being zerg rushed because everyone knows it's a Monarch with crap accuracy and non existent secondaries.

Only way to play this thing: support ship

Stay second battle line with preferably something bigger than you in front. Spam HE and marvel as your drunk gunners pray and spray.

Skip it if at all possible. 

Edited by Rabbitt81

[WOLF3]
Members
19,330 posts
17,665 battles
4 hours ago, vak_ said:

Um, how about best concealment ever? Suddenly blopping cruisers from 12km away is hilarious

A lot of BB players seem to not have the patience of Stealth Build BB play.  Especially coming off KGV where she's spewing 356mm RN BB HE in short order.  But yes, I know what you're talking about.  The ones with patience to do that can do so in some other BBs.  North Carolina is one.  Hell, a Stealth Build Yamato can creep to around 13.4km (IIRC).  That's pretty freaking scary also.

Not to mention the nice concealment range can help bail you out of trouble, especially with how low Monarch can go.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,251 posts
6,010 battles

I grinded through it and rather enjoyed the concealment rating and high velocity but it is an abomination of a ship with lattice masts from the 1950s, the wrong design for the main battery turrets, and twin 40mm guns in a mounting with radar that was known to be rather delicate yet they're right on top of the turrets.

I'd dump it and buy a Vanguard instead if I had the money lying around.

Funny fact, the Monarch's main battery turrets have more armor on their back than they do on the front.

[SPCU]
Members
786 posts
5,018 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

Good armor: Fallacy, it merely has an underwater citadel, otherwise it's extremely squishy

Good accuracy: Fallacy, it has awful accuracy

Powerful AP: Fallacy, it has the worst penetration and many T7 ships will beat it

Bloop cruisers from 12km: Fallacy, the accuracy is poor and the AP has no punch, so many cruisers can broadside tank its AP at 12km.

Good concealment: True, best in its tier bracket.

Go Flank with it: Fallacy, it doesn't have the speed to flank

Go bow tank with it: Extreme Fallacy, it doesn't have the armor, nor HP, nor the super heal to do that, you will just get melted.

Well yeah if youre bottom tier use HE and hide as much as possible... otherwise? Her AP is unlikely to land you many cits but few overpens as well... and top tier she bounces far more than youd think. 

Bottom tier? HE and go dark any time your counter goes above 1.

Top tier? Dont be in the back like a yam/mont sniper... dont be in front like a kurfurst... be the battlecruiser you were meant to be and close support your ca/cl/dds. 

Its not a trashbote... its just a jarring disconnect from kgv/lion/conq and doesnt fit the usual t8+ meta of orbital bombardment most bbs live by.

[MIA]
2,480 posts
8,156 battles
8 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

Don't listen to these trolls trying to say it's a sneaky cruiser killer... sure it is, and I'm Bill Gates. 

Try sneaking up on anything and as soon as you are discovered have fun being zerg rushed because everyone knows it's a Monarch with crap accuracy and non existent secondaries.

Only way to play this thing: support ship

Stay second battle line with preferably something bigger than you in front. Spam HE and marvel as your drunk gunners pray and spray.

Skip it if at all possible. 

I ranked out with Monarch and I have 100k average in it in random battle playing it as a sneaky ship, 31% accuracy too. I rarely fire HE in it and play it as a sneaky flanker. It is not a second line ship.

[PVE]
Members
826 posts
10,920 battles
13 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

I ranked out with Monarch and I have 100k average in it in random battle playing it as a sneaky ship, 31% accuracy too. I rarely fire HE in it and play it as a sneaky flanker. It is not a second line ship.

*your results may vary

I have the anniversary perma camo for it and still sold it. RNG was not my friend