You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lady_Athena

This survey... uhh....

28 comments in this topic

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
728 posts
2,488 battles

All's going fine, asking me the balance of things, how do I like certain events, good stuff to let the devs know more about what their playerbase is wanting, etc. Good stuff... until,,,

Hey bro do you like sports? hunting? Maybe photography, or idk maybe... <list a bunch more stuff that has NOTHING to do with warships> like.. wth is this? lol.. how is me liking gardening for instance have ANYTHING to do with warships or help you cater this game to me? O.o; It's almost like they're throwing in random questions to get data to sell to data sites XD am I gonna click gardening and suddenly I start seeing gardening ads pop up? lawls....

Seriously though... wth?

Edit: Just so people don't say the obvious, yes I do know SOME questions make somewhat sense,, like asking what kind of music I listen too. Getting the idea of the genre, style of music most people listen too for Warships could give them an idea for new music, etc. for the game, or events. That I get..

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[TORAS]
Members
125 posts
1,466 battles

Yeah that last bit of survey struck me as odd... 

Real... odd...

It sounds like they tacked on another survey that gathers basic consumer data to sell off to interested parties for marketing. I was actually a bit pissed off by what I saw. 

• Cool 1

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
728 posts
2,488 battles
1 minute ago, Nurhaal said:

Yeah that last bit of survey struck me as odd... 

Real... odd...

It sounds like they tacked on another survey that gathers basic consumer data to sell off to interested parties for marketing. I was actually a bit pissed off by what I saw. 

Kinda struck me as well "how many children do you have? What kind of job do you do?" Like wth does any of that have to do with warships?

[HYDRO]
Members
2,783 posts
4,568 battles
3 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

Kinda struck me as well "how many children do you have? What kind of job do you do?" Like wth does any of that have to do with warships?

You can judge income based on those, could have to do with pricing of products.

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
728 posts
2,488 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

You can judge income based on those, could have to do with pricing of products.

That's fair enough, but that's still only 2 questions out of like 8 that make sense towards warships.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,783 posts
4,568 battles
10 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

That's fair enough, but that's still only 2 questions out of like 8 that make sense towards warships.

Well, I haven't played in a week or so, so don't really know the exact questions.

As far as personal data protection goes, privacy policy is open to anyone to read, lately I find myself doing that more often.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,560 posts
8,217 battles

Wargaming now has to manage data differently than in the past, with recent EU data laws in force. It is not certain that they are allowed to share client data between Wargaming departments, or 3rd parties such as Lesta (WOWS producer)/ This might explain their (Lesta's) hunger for information to better understand the playerbase.

[TORAS]
Members
125 posts
1,466 battles
7 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

You would be surprised what can be derived from your answers.

as one who does Survey's for an extra few bucks, I know exactly what can be derived from these questions. Most of the question were extremely basic marketing demographic stats that ranged anywhere from predicting income, political affiliation, consumer habits, ect. 

The question were very generic and didn't strike me as odd for War Gaming - it struck me odd that the survey was a very basic statistical placement survey typically sold to market research firms / groups. It's yet another reason to pay close attention to those privacy clauses that you agree to. Fortunately they were pretty damned generic over all but still had a few rather personal ones that I in particular was a bit iffy in answering. 

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,605 battles
43 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

All's going fine, asking me the balance of things, how do I like certain events, good stuff to let the devs know more about what their playerbase is wanting, etc. Good stuff... until,,,

Hey bro do you like sports? hunting? Maybe photography, or idk maybe... <list a bunch more stuff that has NOTHING to do with warships> like.. wth is this? lol.. how is me liking gardening for instance have ANYTHING to do with warships or help you cater this game to me? O.o; It's almost like they're throwing in random questions to get data to sell to data sites XD am I gonna click gardening and suddenly I start seeing gardening ads pop up? lawls....

Seriously though... wth?

Edit: Just so people don't say the obvious, yes I do know SOME questions make somewhat sense,, like asking what kind of music I listen too. Getting the idea of the genre, style of music most people listen too for Warships could give them an idea for new music, etc. for the game, or events. That I get..

You don't like long walks on the beach? Or Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain?

[NDA]
Supertester
5,148 posts
15,261 battles

Survey, "Favorite Movies and TV series? Also Favorite Music Bands?"

Me, "WG are looking for recommendation because you're bored?"

• Funny 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,152 battles

I always just make crap up to put in surveys like this. If they are going to be all in my grill, they should expect a bit of spittle to land in their face. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,981 posts
2,727 battles
7 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I always just make crap up to put in surveys like this. If they are going to be all in my grill, they should expect a bit of spittle to land in their face. 

Yeah, I've been known to make stuff up just to see what a survey will do and where it will place me. Always fun to mess with automated systems.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,152 battles
5 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, I've been known to make stuff up just to see what a survey will do and where it will place me. Always fun to mess with automated systems.

In many of the surveys I have taken, I like to list my occupation as "pig tail straightener" or "gandy dancer" (an actual occupation from the olden days). My hobbies always include wart collecting and scab removal. Any time there is a place to type, I give it the best stuff I can Google or remember from a Douglas Adams book... 

• Funny 2

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
22 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Got halfway through it and shut it down.  They wanted TMI. and not just how to improve the game. 

It's all about the game, WG wants to know who is playing and who is spending. A company can never have too much information about their player base. I already give them my banking information, it's more important then anything else they could know about me. They know when I play, how long i play, what I buy, what I spend. There is no secret   

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles
1 hour ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Or Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain?

Dangit, now the song it stuck in my head. Thanks J30_Santaurhardt

Supertester
1,242 posts
1,024 battles
1 hour ago, Nurhaal said:

as one who does Survey's for an extra few bucks, I know exactly what can be derived from these questions. Most of the question were extremely basic marketing demographic stats that ranged anywhere from predicting income, political affiliation, consumer habits, ect. 

Income? Yes I need more please
Political- Eh it's just Russia way of trying to influence the next election :Smile_hiding:
Habits? No thanks- have enough of my own.

Once it got past anything relating to Warships those would be the type of answers I would give- smart a$$ ones :)

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,605 battles
Just now, AtlanticRim said:

Dangit, now the song it stuck in my head. Thanks J30_Santaurhardt

You're welcome. :Smile_teethhappy:  I'm currently trying to get this dang Sia-chandelier song outta my brain.

• Funny 1

[FGNE]
Members
590 posts
3,048 battles

I haven’t seen any WG survey like this but I suppose stuff like the Ovechkin collaboration can be drawn from these results... who knows perhaps tomorrow we will have Gordon Ramsey as a commander.

:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by CO_Valle

[WOLF9]
Members
8,739 posts
4,138 battles
2 hours ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

You would be surprised what can be derived from your answers.

No lie.  I recall one program on how personal data is priced.  People that bought protectors for their furniture feet sell for a relative fortune.  Apparently the reasoning is that they have nice wood floors to protect, implying nice (expensive) houses, thus high incomes and the motivation to maintain their homes.

People that garden generally own land.

Where is this survey?

42 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

perhaps tomorrow we will have Gordon Ramsey as a commander.

Oh, now, that would be fun.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Members
781 posts
5,782 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Nice. When the opportunity comes to sow a little disinformation back into the system . . 

1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

In many of the surveys I have taken, I like to list my occupation as "pig tail straightener" or "gandy dancer" (an actual occupation from the olden days). My hobbies always include wart collecting and scab removal. Any time there is a place to type, I give it the best stuff I can Google or remember from a Douglas Adams book... 

I think I've come up with a standard response for all these surveys:

"I am Groot."

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,068 posts
6,302 battles
6 hours ago, Nurhaal said:

The question were very generic and didn't strike me as odd for War Gaming - it struck me odd that the survey was a very basic statistical placement survey typically sold to market research firms / groups. It's yet another reason to pay close attention to those privacy clauses that you agree to. Fortunately they were pretty damned generic over all but still had a few rather personal ones that I in particular was a bit iffy in answering. 

I mean the data science behind it, not the surveys themselves.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,106 posts
8,600 battles
9 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

I'm currently trying to get this dang Sia-chandelier song outta my brain.

All someone has to do is mention an "earworm" and this pops into my head ...

Spoiler