You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

Is it possible for Irian to be good?

22 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,337 posts
2,886 battles

And not be kutuzov? (I mean, having a PA kutuzov would be nice too, but supposedly OP) 

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

How could it not be good, the Kutz is a great platform even without smoke. Seems easy enough to give a little unique character and still be strong.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[AAA]
Members
623 posts
7,149 battles

Short answer yes. 

Long answer Kutuzov sans smoke but with 13.5 km torps. Yeah it’s gonna be a winner. Add the new PA capt with improved DE and this ship will drive bbs crazy. 

• Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,655 posts
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Smokeless Kutuzov is leagues easier to kill.

Only too true making her a Hard Pass:Smile_unsure: put out a ship that only works with smoke the take away the smoke:Smile_facepalm:  And Removing  the only thing making her playable

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles
17 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Only too true making her a Hard Pass:Smile_unsure: put out a ship that only works with smoke the take away the smoke:Smile_facepalm:  And Removing  the only thing making her playable

She has excellent gunnery and Irian will have some torps to troll with.  But a Smokeless Kutuzov doesn't scare me at all.  You simply treat it like a Chapayev.  Hit it a few times and it's dead.

This thing is a Tier VIII Cruiser, and in general, Tier VIII Cruisers unless you got Smoke, is a dangerous place to be.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles
28 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

You think a smokeless Kutz is unplayable? bahhahahaah

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,655 posts
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She has excellent gunnery and Irian will have some torps to troll with.  But a Smokeless Kutuzov doesn't scare me at all.  You simply treat it like a Chapayev.  Hit it a few times and it's dead.

This thing is a Tier VIII Cruiser, and in general, Tier VIII Cruisers unless you got Smoke, is a dangerous place to be.

:Smile_great:

10 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

:Smile_great:They Took Her Smoke  so they should Replace it either with Radar or a Heal One Or The Other and a Good Heal at that:cap_horn:

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Seconded. A smokeless Kooter with 13.5 km torps? Pure evil, especially since after 0.8.0 CV planes won't be spotting torps (huzzah to the end of that idiotic mechanic). Just look at what good chappy players accomplish without such torps. On NA Chappy is fourth in T8 cruiser win rate with 45K damage, comparing favorably with Kooter's 48K damage and WR. Irian should do very well, especially since the people buying it are going to be the ones who think they can excel in it. 

[SYN]
Members
15,290 posts
11,987 battles

A well played Chapayev is really hard to kill, because it squishes DDs with its stealth radar, which in turn stamps out ships from spotting it.

However it's not like Chappy is an easy kill out in the open either.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles

How are people struggling to hit a Chapayev, or Kutuzov with smoke on CD?  Especially with the gunnery in high tier? :Smile_veryhappy:

Irian doesn't have Kutuzov Smoke.

Irian doesn't have Chapayev Radar.

That's a low threat target to me.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,655 posts
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

:Smile_great:

14 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

:Smile_great:Oh   BTW   I have a Chapayev  and even when discounting the fact she ain't as squishy as the Kutuzov  is reputed to be you need at the Very Least a 10 point Commander to make Irian playable and yes I know they're bringing in unique Pan Asian Commanders  they ain't here yet and who knows what shenanigans WG  will enact bringing them in,    I repeat they took away her smoke they haveta give her something back(a heal would be preferable) or she's just fresh meat

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
2,112 posts
9,553 battles
17 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

And not be kutuzov? (I mean, having a PA kutuzov would be nice too, but supposedly OP) 

Irian is already good without being Kutuzov.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,841 posts
4,855 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

How are people struggling to hit a Chapayev, or Kutuzov with smoke on CD?  Especially with the gunnery in high tier? :Smile_veryhappy:

Irian doesn't have Kutuzov Smoke.

Irian doesn't have Chapayev Radar.

That's a low threat target to me.

...and 13.5km torps are DWT so no carping on DD in close combat either...

[-K-]
2,112 posts
9,553 battles
44 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Too bad it ain't so:Smile_sad:

Then we disagree.  It only took me 3 games to realize she's a solid ship that plays very differently from Kutuzov

The idea that a T8 cruiser without smoke is garbage is lunacy.  I've been top XP in T10 games with radar Edinburgh.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Yes, Irian has 12 of those great 152mm soviet guns, so if you know how to use them Irian can be a good ship. What makes Kutuzov OP is the combo of guns and smoke, so irian will never be OP as Kut. 

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,655 posts
54 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Then we disagree.  It only took me 3 games to realize she's a solid ship that plays very differently from Kutuzov

The idea that a T8 cruiser without smoke is garbage is lunacy.  I've been top XP in T10 games with radar Edinburgh.

Only it aint Just Smoke Or Radar It's No Heal Either  and when you add inthe fact you need At Least a Tier 10 Commander  which brings me back to my previous  statement as presented needing a 10 point Captain and she's a squishy Kutuzov  With No Smoke,No Radar No Heal  and my answer remains a firm  NTY  until and if she's given something to make up for what she lost,   Without the Heal(and maybe even with the heal)Boise and her sister ship also remain a NTY  I've already got Helena,   PS   everyone keeps saying basically she's a  Chapayev  only Chapayev  Does have Radar, I  also already have Chapayev  and 13km deepwater torps aren]t a good enuff reason to get her considering all her  Lacks/Minus's:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
2,112 posts
9,553 battles
On 12/22/2018 at 11:03 AM, Xlap said:

Yes, Irian has 12 of those great 152mm soviet guns, so if you know how to use them Irian can be a good ship. What makes Kutuzov OP is the combo of guns and smoke, so irian will never be OP as Kut. 

What really makes Kutuzov OP is her RANGE plus smoke.  If she had Chapayev and Irian's range, she wouldn't be quite as nasty.  

People also tend to forget that Kutuzov isn't as powerful as she once was now that she can be detected by DDs 7.7km away when she fires in her own smoke.  That's a pretty large gun bloom.  

On 12/22/2018 at 11:19 AM, shadowsrmine said:

Only it aint Just Smoke Or Radar It's No Heal Either  and when you add inthe fact you need At Least a Tier 10 Commander  which brings me back to my previous  statement as presented needing a 10 point Captain and she's a squishy Kutuzov  With No Smoke,No Radar No Heal  and my answer remains a firm  NTY  until and if she's given something to make up for what she lost,   Without the Heal(and maybe even with the heal)Boise and her sister ship also remain a NTY  I've already got Helena,   PS   everyone keeps saying basically she's a  Chapayev  only Chapayev  Does have Radar, I  also already have Chapayev  and 13km deepwater torps aren]t a good enuff reason to get her considering all her  Lacks/Minus's:Smile_facepalm:

Irian isn't Chapayev and she isn't Kutuzov.  She's her own ship with her own identity.   She may not be for you, but that doesn't make her garbage.  

Edited by SeaRaptor00
  • Boring 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,487 posts
9,607 battles

Kutuzov is op due to 19km range and 8km torpedoes; not because of a measly short duration smoke screen.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles
On 12/22/2018 at 8:03 AM, Xlap said:

Thank You!

And if you can see it, you can delete it, considering how soft RU CLs are.

• Cool 2

Members
218 posts
6,686 battles

What if they gave the Irian access to the 6th upgrade slot? Would that provide something different enough to warrant playing?

Edited by GambitHG