You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mavrick101a

Getting your Guns to do More Damage

23 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
423 posts
14,144 battles

What guns are you using?

Guns in this game vary wildly with nation and shell type. Different caliber shells have different penetration values. Also, depending on where you land hits, your shellls may or may not penetrate the target's armor.

A high explosive shell "sticks" to armor and explodes on contact. It always deals damage as long as the armor is thin enough (generally 1/6 thickness of the shell caliber with some exceptions). HE shells also has a random chance to set the target on fire.

An armor piercing shell has to strike thick armor to arm and detonate inside the targeted ship. If the armor is too thin, AP shells overpenetrate and do only 10% of their max damage. If the armor is too thick, the AP shell will shatter and do 0 damage. If the AP shell penetrates a ship's vital spaces (engines, magazines), it deals 100% of its max damage.

This is just a brief rundown of how shells work. I suggest watching some youtube tutorials on how to choose the proper shell for a particular target and where to hit a target.

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
42 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

I am always doing very light damage what am I doing wrong?

Your question is way too general for a specific answer. With a thousand battles, you should know this already but it never hurts to brush up on the basics.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
461 posts
5,288 battles
43 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

What I least do is, I smuggle my guns aboard the enemy vessel while he's still in port, and place them right next to the engineering spaces and magazine.

When the game starts, as soon as anyone on my team has sight on the vessel, I send a coded radio transmission to my guns which almost guarantees some kind of catastrophic damage; and I cover my churlish behavior by firing a salvo from my remaining guns about the same time as I transmit.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,412 posts
2,379 battles
56 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Your question is way too general for a specific answer. With a thousand battles, you should know this already but it never hurts to brush up on the basics.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

This is the most likely situation.

Check your results screen after the match.  Check how many hits are bounces, shatters, and overpens.

[WOLF7]
Members
747 posts
3,684 battles

It is either a marksmanship issue or you're firing AP when you should be firing HE

Edit:  just looked at your profile and noticed you're surviving 22% of your battles.  It sounds obvious but if you are in trouble/dead early that means you are no longer firing the guns.  Take care of your ship and you'll live longer and have more opportunities to keep racking up the damage.

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles

Since you're from Texas, you must know about real life firearms right?  Shooting a ships in WoWS is similar to shooting that punk who tries to car jack you;  caliber, ammo type and shot placement.

Caliber:  Bigger the better.  Just like how a .45acp is better than a .22LR.

Ammo type:  Hollow Points and Armor Piercing rounds are similar to the High Explosive (HE) and AP shells in WoWS.  Use HE on targets with soft armor, AP on targets with thicker armor.

Shot placement:  Like in real life, center mass is always good with higher chance to hit.  In WoWS, you get massive damage if you hit the citadel of the ship, usually at the waterline. Its like putting a round through someone's heart or head.

And just like it real life where you need to hit the range and practice your shooting, WoWS is the same thing.  Try playing some co-op games and practice leading targets and aiming at citadels of enemy ships.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,497 posts
14,616 battles
2 hours ago, Mavrick101a said:

Get a bigger gun.

[PHD]
Beta Testers
68 posts
2,059 battles

Well I am hitting better. The Enhanced Reticle helps.  I found using it helped me lead the target so your rounds hit the ship and cause more damage. So, what was so hard for y'all to tell me that. Was it a secret y'all didn't want me to know?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration ( Thank You for this link!!)

Edited by Mavrick101a

[PHD]
Beta Testers
68 posts
2,059 battles

I also found that Bow and stern shots don't do a lot of damage as well.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,806 posts
10,837 battles

This is some serious, high-level trolling.

Members
22,279 posts
5,775 battles
8 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

Well I am hitting better. The Enhanced Reticle helps.  I found using it helped me lead the target so your rounds hit the ship and cause more damage. So, what was so hard for y'all to tell me that. Was it a secret y'all didn't want me to know?

No lol, we just didn't know what the problem was, you didn't say you weren't hitting well for one.

For all we knew, you were hitting bang on where you wanted to, but were getting low damage. From there, maybe it's wrong ammo type, bad penning guns, maybe where you wanted to hit wasn't where you should be hitting, target is angled, etc.

[KRAK]
Members
2,165 posts
15,387 battles
25 minutes ago, Mavrick101a said:

I also found that Bow and stern shots don't do a lot of damage as well.

That is not necessarily true , it depends on your guns and the armor value of the ship you are firing at. For example with a Des Moines I can get big salvos up to 8k or more depending on how many shells land with HE firing at BB and Cruiser  bows and sterns.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,806 posts
10,837 battles

Plenty of low/mid tier cruisers can take citadel shots from the bow or stern.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,350 posts
8,084 battles

Shooting in this game is extremely complicated with many factors that need to be considered. Things like the armor profiles of the ship you are shooting, your own gun caliber, autobounce angles, range, and the relative angles of your ships are just some of the factors that you need to consider when choosing what ammo to shoot and where to aim. The best advice I can give in a forum post is to submit replays to @Lord_Zath He has a twitch channel where he gives advice to people and real time advice from each salvo fired will be much more helpful than general advice. If you dont have replays it might be helpful to watch watch a streamer that is a decent shot and see what ammo they use and where they aim. Someone that is pretty decent like that and streams a lot is flamuu although there are others. Several members of my clan stream and are good shots as well like potato quality.

Some of the things you have to consider is what armor you can overmatch with your AP (1/14.3 the shell diameter) and what armor your HE can penetrate (generally 1/4 or 1/6 the shell diameter). The warships wiki page is helpful for the general rules. On top of that there are angles where shells will start to bounce and there are some special rules there for some ships the wiki lists them. Shells damage also depends on where the damage occurs on the ship: the citadel will be full damage, anywhere else inside the ship will be 1/3 damage, a shell that passes through the ship will be 1/10 damage, and shatters are 0 damage. The game has ribbons that can be enabled that tell you if the hits are citadels, penetrations, overpens, or shatters so you can see more clearly why you are getting the damage values for the hits. The armor viewer in game is helpful for determining where you want to aim for the best damage at different angles.

There are a lot of tricks to shooting depending on what you are shooting at and shooting with. Sometimes depending on the gun caliber and angle you can get good damage through the bow of an enemy ship even bypassing the belt armor and getting citadels. Sometimes its better to wait a little for a better shot depending on how the targets are maneuvering. A good starting point is aiming center of mass on broadside ships and practicing in the training room shooting various ships and various angles to learn what combination of angle, ammo point, and aiming point is most effective. Without some specific ships the amount of advice I would have to give would simply be overwhelming.

tl:dr message lord zath and send him a replay or maybe he even has a some good replays with the information you need.

Members
136 posts
2,826 battles

what u are doing wrong is using the usn ships they just stink use anything else and u will be on the top in a game or two.

ps. what I do not understand is the usn ships in the treaty's it is said that the usn ships were restricted to what is on them! (because of treaty) but (and correct me if im wrong ) a german ship of the same year does not have the restrictions that the usn ships have of that time period???

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,118 posts
16,740 battles

o/