You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

In Current Meta - Do you use smoke Offensively or Defensively

20 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
868 posts
1,924 battles

Just wondering if the days of offensive smoke are over.  I have been using it for retreats more than sitting in smoke and starting fires.

I kind of like the short smoke on the Jervis as it forces you to move on in a short amount of time and you get extra of them.

Thoughts?

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles

If you keep an eye on the red team's radar ships, and time things properly, you can use the longer smoke times for offensive tactics.  Short duration smoke should only really be for GTFO.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,571 battles

I have learned to do both, depending on the ship and circumstances, and it has made me a better player.  For most DD's I use smoke defensively.  When I started, I would get into a cap and smoke up, trying to get the cap without being spotted.  Now I barely enter the cap, sit there and provide vision for the team, and only smoke up to disengage if needed.  If opportunities arise where I can safely smoke up to lend fire assistance to other ships, or to help them disengage, I use it then too.  I've started using smoke so much less on my torp boats now that I don't even use superintendent on most of them.

Some DD's need smoke to get the most out of them, like the Akizuki and it's subsequent ships further up the tree.  But if trying to cap, I still don't smoke up in the cap, but I will look harder for upportunities to smoke up outside of radar range in order to shell enemy ships.

British CL's generally need to smoke up as well, again taking note on the mini-map where the closest radar ship is, and making sure they have hydro up if any torp ships are nearby.  But in these ships I only tend to get close enough to the cap to lend support to our DDs, which almost always keeps me out of radar range.

[TASC]
Members
240 posts
7,044 battles

i will smoke for my team mostly CL or Ca s and then spot for them. i will smoke for other DDs like the kitakaze at T9 and spot for them as they burn the world down. 

• Cool 1

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles

The big trick is forcing the red DDs to smoke up instead of you.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
868 posts
1,924 battles
2 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

When I started, I would get into a cap and smoke up, trying to get the cap without being spotted.  Now I barely enter the cap, sit there and provide vision for the team, and only smoke up to disengage if needed.

How long did that take?  I am at 900 battles and the message is just sinking in.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,571 battles

Aw heck, I don't know.  It just kind of happened organically over time, and with the advice of my clan mates when we would div up.  I think too it became more comfortable as I gained confidence with DD's as a whole.

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles
45 minutes ago, rutilius83 said:

i will smoke for my team mostly CL or Ca s and then spot for them. i will smoke for other DDs like the kitakaze at T9 and spot for them as they burn the world down. 

I totally agree. Especially with long smokes like USN, offensive smoke is still a thing - you just deploy it as a defensive line where your teammates can camp/flash broadside/get past chokepoints, and where you can fall back to when outgunned. Even radar is mostly useless against a well-placed smoke.

Members
297 posts
2,405 battles
49 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

The big trick is forcing the red DDs to smoke up instead of you.

The funniest thing is that torping a DD firing from smoke in order to flush them out worked well before radar, and still does. :)

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,682 posts
6,777 battles

It generally depends on the situation, however, I find myself using smoke defensively quite often, I'd say the majority of the times I use it. Smoke is the greatest radar/hydro/torp magnet in the game, and I find people are increasingly willing to blind fire into smoke. Looking at it from opposite side, if I am in a DD, I find myself willing to charge smoke because all too often the ships sitting in smoke are blind (no teammates spotting) and sitting still. I can usually approach to point blank range, cripple an engine with gun fire and launch torpedoes with a high success rate.

If someone else is spotting for my team...

If there is support around me...

If there are no DDs lurking nearby...

If there are no radar ships within 15km...

...then, I will use smoke offensively. I'm happy to lay smoke for teammates, but I'll be outside of it spotting. 

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 4:02 PM, yungpanda said:

The funniest thing is that torping a DD firing from smoke in order to flush them out worked well before radar, and still does. :)

Of course. :)  But the point in forcing them to use their smoke is that you get free concealment IF the DD was the one spotting you.  Course, doesn't help if you've been radar'd or hydro'd, but free concealment is better than having to use your own smoke.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
767 posts
3,722 battles

I play mainly DDs and due to radar I have been forced to change my smoke usage from what it was a couple years ago.  Most of my smoke now is used for teammates that need it more than me.  This enables cruisers to fire from range or battleships to retreat and heal when being focused.  

In a division where you can have a spotter or IF there is cooperation in randoms (rare) a dd gunboat in smoke is still a very nasty and deadly weapon that can cause entire red flanks to collapse or change their plans of advance

[CSALT]
Members
921 posts

Depends on the type of DD I am running amd the situation.  Offensive or defensive though, I find I very seldom pop smoke for myself.  I'll try to screen for cruisers/BBs, provide smoke for a Kitkat or Daring, or even use smoke as a lure to bring cruisers and DDs out from their hiding spots or to an area I am leaving.  Example, smoke one side of a cap and wait on the other side to ambush smoke rushers.  If I screen friendly ships, I only do it when I can spot for them or there is friendly air to spot for them.  I try not to smoke right on top of them anymore, but between them and the red fleet. I feel this helps to reduce friendly ships getting torped while sitting in smoke.

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
723 posts
2,066 battles

In a USN DD my first-choice tactic is to lay smoke short of the cap to protect cruisers and then spot for them. Later in the game I still keep an eye out for chances to protect allies such as a BB trying to disengage. Part of the reason I do that is I’m still not good enough to play USN DDs aggressively while threading the needle that separates influencing the game and getting deleted. Probably when I’m more confident in USN DDs I’ll need the smoke for myself more. 

In VMF DDs I use it defensively because the playstyle pretty much demands it, or I go with heal.  

[RMRGD]
Members
345 posts
18,519 battles

Simple rules on this one for me

• Verify how many radar ships on opposite team
  • verify how many long range hydros
  • SPOT FIRST dont ever smoke up first and sit
  • If more then 3 DDs dont ever sit in smoke unless you know non are near you
  • Smoke is MOST effective when you use it to disengage
  • Second best part of smoke is to use it to prevent spotting to drop torps at close range when a BB is sleeping or focused
  • Offensive smoke with guns ONLY is viable if you have good hydro with little amounts of radar