You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tr3xx0n

Arghh - how to deal with planes?

12 comments in this topic

[PSFL]
Members
27 posts
2,029 battles

I keep getting beat to heck by planes with Torps and Bombs..  I have been marking them (cntl-click), zigging and zagging as best I can.   But they still me pegged in their sights and wreck my day.

Am I missing some way of playing them more effectively?

[CK5]
Members
989 posts
8,662 battles

Zig-zagging helps some with dive bombers, but torpedo bombers are countered by turning into the torp drop as soon as possible.  That means turning into the torp bomber formation before they even drop.  

The other suggestion is to look into AA builds on your ships through ship upgrades or captain skills.  They do make a difference.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
2 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The other suggestion is to look into AA builds on your ships through ship upgrades or captain skills.  They do make a difference.

An even more effective approach with a lot of ships is to NOT worry about AA, figure out what ships have good AA platforms, and then travel nearby those ships during games.  Park near a USN mid tier ship and you won't need your own AA.

Also, a lot of people think planes are way worse than they are.  Because so many people have such strong AA and the rework is about to happen it seems like mid to high tier games have hardly any planes left.

[CK5]
Members
989 posts
8,662 battles

Yes, staying close to a strong AA ship is another method, as long as that AA ship stays alive and you don't mind that player making game decisions for you (if he moves, you have to move as well).  

[O_O]
Members
77 posts

25 minutes ago, galspanic said:

An even more effective approach with a lot of ships is to NOT worry about AA, figure out what ships have good AA platforms, and then travel nearby those ships duringgames.  Park near a USN mid tier ship and you won't need your own AA.

This.

Especially in Random games, the best defense against planes is lots of AA. There is nothing a CV captain likes more than finding lone Cruisers and BB's. Easy meals for their pilots.

Members
2,926 posts
3,734 battles

The best defence against planes is other ships. Unless youre a scouting/CV hunting DD, you should be near a friendly as often as possible.

[-WTP-]
Members
791 posts
3,677 battles

Often for me, especially in high tiers, even an AA build won't help you against a good CV player. Have DFAA + good anti air at the same time, or sail in formations with other good AA ships, preferably that have DFAA too.

[PSFL]
Members
27 posts
2,029 battles

I am still pretty low tier with only a couple of T5 ships, one a cruiser and the other a destroyer.  I will try sailing closer to other ships.  Though as a DD that seems to defeat the purpose.

[O_O]
Members
77 posts
6 hours ago, stenrick said:

I am still pretty low tier with only a couple of T5 ships, one a cruiser and the other a destroyer.  I will try sailing closer to other ships.  Though as a DD that seems to defeat the purpose.

Well, at higher tiers a DD is rarely a concern for a CV unless you are hunting the carrier. The better CV drivers are going to look for cruisers and BB's to destroy. Unless they are too well protected.

[WOLF5]
Members
687 posts
24,111 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 10:10 PM, WTFoxtrot said:

Well, at higher tiers a DD is rarely a concern for a CV unless you are hunting the carrier. The better CV drivers are going to look for cruisers and BB's to destroy. Unless they are too well protected.

Uh, no. Good players know that if you can take out a DD,  you've removed their best ship for capping points. Damage farmers will go after BBs and CAs because they get wrapped up in the whole "but I did 400k damage but we still lost" mentality. 

As for the OP, zig/zagging in quick succession isn't the best way to mitigate. For torps, turn into the planes early so you can comb the torps when they drop or hopefully miss most of them. For DB's watch them then adjust speed/heading just before they drop. If you're just zig/zagging randomly all you're doing is reducing  your speed which makes it harder to avoid the attack when it comes. 

Now if you're talking about ship based torps, then zig/zagging will be effective since the shooter can't predict where you're going. 

Edited by h9k_a
  • Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
77 posts

I do agree with the zig-zagging statement. It is not useful against most torp planes. Your best bet is to watch out for any that start to approach within a few km. Then do your best to keep the planes in front of your ship. When they have to drop you have a good chance of finding a way between the torp spread.

However, remember that the battleship was finally abandoned when countries realized a slow-moving multi-million dollar ship could be destroyed by a fifty thousand dollar plane and a torpedo with a few hundred dollars of explosives. At some point, you are going to lose the battle against those pesky aircraft.

[PSV]
[PSV]
Members
327 posts
8,330 battles

In my limited experience, best way to deal with planes are running AA ships and ideally div with an unicum CV.