You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Hamster wheel

61 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
12,497 posts
34 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Remember that when you're planning on shelling out for a new 50" 4K UHD flat screen.

Or a new phone. Old ones handle phone calls just as well; all the new ones do is manage pixels better.

You're comparing apples and bananas. Flat screens and phones are tangible items that are pretty much required in every day life.

Ship Pixels exist only within this game, and have no actual value......

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,624 battles
5 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Hit me as I was suffering loss after loss in Random recently. I have spent $3,000 on it (money to WG), not counting Internet and Game Computer. I'm losing my interest with all the bad luck being thrown my way. Let's face it.. There is no skill in Santa Crates. Some folks are pulling ships.. I'm pulling NY streamers. I bought the PEF and it took 6 Random games to get a win (for the 400 base XP). My teams were winning, but somewhere after 8 minutes, everyone on my team started dying suddenly of impossible long-range hits and glancing blows. The PEF suddenly catches on fire every time someone fires HE in my general direction. I need to take a break. I think our demographic is being targeted.

Yeah, the overall satisfaction with the game seems very hit an' miss … 

See what I did there :)

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

I spent $31 on dinner last night with a friend that was about 2 hours of entertainment. I drove about 30 miles each way too, so very conservatively that's another $15 worth of car expenses if you figure 25 cents/mile.

So for a dinner last night with a friend I spent $46 -- I could just as easily bought this campaign. Or a premium ship I played 5 times.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,624 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

I spent $31 on dinner last night with a friend that was about 2 hours of entertainment. I drove about 30 miles each way too, so very conservatively that's another $15 worth of car expenses if you figure 25 cents/mile.

So for a dinner last night with a friend I spent $46 -- I could just as easily bought this campaign. Or a premium ship I played 5 times.

If you're married, you know money literally flies out the door … 

Spending a tiny fraction on yourself isn't such a big deal :)

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,398 posts
10,750 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

You're comparing apples and bananas. Flat screens and phones are tangible items that are pretty much required in every day life.

Ship Pixels exist only within this game, and have no actual value...…

With all due respect we all spend money on things that are not required in every day life . Some of those things bring you joy or peace of mind for a couple hours . That can be money well spent to keep your sanity.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,105 posts
7,217 battles
46 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Remember that when you're planning on shelling out for a new 50" 4K UHD flat screen.

Something like that is different. It has the potential to entertain the whole family, if Samsung goes bankrupt, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the TV, and the money spent will enhance enjoyment of ALL my present and future games.

46 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Or a new phone. Old ones handle phone calls just as well; all the new ones do is manage pixels better.

I agree. That's why I'm still using the Note 3 I bought when it first came out. (I chose it over a lesser phone because the bigger screen is easier on my eyes)

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I was sitting in my chair the other night calculating how much and how long it would take me to get the steel to earn Stalingrad. At some point during this I had a stark realization: I'm wasting my time. I'm sitting around grinding for pixel ships for a currency that was literally tossed out by some developers to get an OP ship for clan wars. If you've faced the Stalingrad, you already know how annoying it is to see in clan. "Oh look another Stalingrad", is typically the first remark I hear. Post x-mas and next clan season we will have more grads floating around, so we can ramp up the annoyance more.

Now I wanted this coveted ship, but during my realization I thought how stupid it all was. I waste my time/money grinding for a ship that will without a doubt get nurfed/or replaced by something even better down the line. Anyone who doubts that that statement is correct, either doesn't know how this game operates, or is blind to the fact. 

"Well Dr Venture, they wont replace it, just make a ship that fills another role better." Right that is all well and good, but then that ship interacts with others and essentially makes the ship you worked hard for, pointless to take (See Moskva in clan). 

Now I wanted Alaska, it was a historical ship that would have been really cool to float around and play....but 1 million free XP?

So lemme get this straight, you grind out 1 million free XP for a ship...right...so grinding from tier 1 to 10 is basically close to a million XP...but you know..you get games...a sense of progression...you spend gold...you don't keep track of your spending...you are having fun. Just take that in for a second....now we've got a tier 9 cruiser here that costs you 1 million free xp....you're going to play it...then you'll get bored with it....and toss it. My sense of accomplishment and value in that accomplishment is much shorter....it's been cheapened. 

If that number was smaller, I would think "well wait, I can accomplish this, I can do this...I can grind this out in operations." Nah...I'm not wasting my precious free time for a pixel ship.

*eyes the mountain of new premium ships coming for coal or steel that are 9/10* So why bother grinding lines now? The tier X's are inferior in several ways to the steel ships you're pumping out. 

I'm sorry wargaming, but you inflated your fake currency to the point where even the biggest of whales are seriously having doubts here. I'm a whale, a big one, I got burned BADLY on the piss poor RNG on the crates...and now everything above is coming home to roost in my mind. This game isn't worth the effort any more, you grind...they put in another finish line...grind...another finish line...and your accomplishments get eroded away by the next big shiny. 

Wargaming - please stop the top tier premiums...you're eroding the experience and sense of accomplishment. 

Stalingrad is probably the easiest ship to deal with in CB.  Everything outspots it.  The radar is easily avoided and even if you are lit by it, they only have enough time for a max 2 shots.  If the player is static he gets farmed out by Zao/Worcester in about a minute or two.  The only thing really "OP" about the ship is peoples lack of ability to figure out ways to counter it

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles
2 hours ago, Ace6steel said:

not every high tier premium is a steel ship y'know

Still need to grind to get the free XP, or the coal, too.  You can't buy any of those things, sure you pay money, but you still need to grind to get them.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,167 posts
4,954 battles
15 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

Stalingrad is probably the easiest ship to deal with in CB.  Everything outspots it.  The radar is easily avoided and even if you are lit by it, they only have enough time for a max 2 shots.  If the player is static he gets farmed out by Zao/Worcester in about a minute or two.  The only thing really "OP" about the ship is peoples lack of ability to figure out ways to counter it

I think you missed my point, whilst it has weaknesses...when inserted with a good team it compliments its teammates very well. You more or less are getting a second battleship. 

Members
5,135 posts
1 hour ago, clammboy said:

With all due respect we all spend money on things that are not required in every day life . Some of those things bring you joy or peace of mind for a couple hours . That can be money well spent to keep your sanity.

I smoked for 15 years.  Want to talk about something worthless and not required in every day life, but, I bet many of the people who disdain 'pixel ships' have some other wasteful thing they spend money on.  I find a 50" TV frivolous, because we don't even use the 32" one we have, but, different people live different ways.

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
88 posts
3,131 battles

If the focus of your fulfillment in this game is mainly to have a Stalingrad or any other reward ship, you might have lost sight of the reason you started playing in the first place.  :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,216 posts
30,340 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Only 30% of the players have *any* high-tier (Steel-worthy) ships.

Wow.  In a way that might be good news.  Maybe there's a lot of new players.  But where are all those guys with the 5% flags?  Are they still playing?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,633 posts
4,602 battles
5 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Maybe there's a lot of new players.  But where are all those guys with the 5% flags?  Are they still playing?

From what I understand, there's a lot of churn at the Tier 5-6 level.  And now that you mention it, I haven't seen a 5% flag in a coon's age.

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
2 hours ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

I've played nothing but Henri for the past month or so, please give me more Stalingrads enjoy.

Word!!!!

Love me my Henry, very underrated beast at Tier 10 

[WUDPS]
5,167 posts
4,954 battles
33 minutes ago, Get_Kraken said:

If the focus of your fulfillment in this game is mainly to have a Stalingrad or any other reward ship, you might have lost sight of the reason you started playing in the first place.  :Smile_unsure:

Well yes and no, it's very easy to get sucked into "keeping up with the Joneses" in this game...because you want some cool toys and what not. 

However, with the lack of historical content lately...I'm left with just sitting here going "meh"

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,599 posts
8,538 battles

Who do people keep calling Steel ships OP? 

I burned a Stalingrad down in my Zao one game and secondary'd one to death in my GK another game and I melted a Bologna with cheese in my Daring about a month ago.

Look at my stats...I'm nowhere close to being a Unicum and it's not like I was 1 of 6 people fighting these ships at the time. LOL

Come to think of it, the only time I've seen a Stalingrad wreck face on a monumental level was when my team had a triple Stalingrad Unicum division. And lets be honest, a triple Unicum division is probably going to wreck face no matter what ships they are in. 

[WOLFG]
Members
27,105 posts
7,217 battles
36 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I find a 50" TV frivolous, because we don't even use the 32" one we have, but, different people live different ways.

My 50" is pretty much only for gaming, that's why the wife won't let me replace it until it dies, even though it's a plasma, and the WoWS UI is burned into the screen lol.

(although it does get used this time of year, it'll be used to display a fireplace at Christmas, and we're hosting on New Year's Eve, so we'll watch the festivities leading up to the ball drop)

She watches This is Us and Fuller House on the 32" bedroom TV to fall asleep to, and we have a 37" up on the living room wall that hasn't been turned on in months lol.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,105 posts
7,217 battles
18 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Wow.  In a way that might be good news.  Maybe there's a lot of new players.  But where are all those guys with the 5% flags?  Are they still playing?

I am!

Members
5,135 posts
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

From what I understand, there's a lot of churn at the Tier 5-6 level.  And now that you mention it, I haven't seen a 5% flag in a coon's age.

Despite what people think, F2P games live on new blood.  There is always people leaving, every day, for many reasons.  Some related to the game, some not.  No retained player is more important than keeping new blood to keep the game alive.  It may suck to realize that to the game company, keeping you happy isn't quite as high a priority as getting new blood in, but it's the way it actually works.  

People usually reply "Well, if they don't pay attention to ME, then I'll leave, and then the game will die!"...but that's not actually true.  If new blood stops coming in, *then* the game dies.

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,270 battles
2 hours ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

btw i dont think the casual players visit or post on the forums much .

Without some kind of big hairy-aft validated demographics breakdown to cite, there's actually quite a few "casuals" on the forums, if you count PvE aficionados as casual, myself included.

I'd be surprised if the Warships player base didn't look much the same as any other MMO community.

I do agree with others who think that too much focus on keeping the uber 1% happy tends to alienate the broader player base.

There needs to be something for everyone, and I think there is in WOWS. Heck, I got a chubby when an SC dropped a Kutuzov on me a couple years ago. Maybe we tend to focus on all the sales hype touting the next unicum-only OP superbote or event.

This tater is gonna tate his massive  taterness in fat, dumb, happy (well, except for CV's...) Taterland no matter what.

Members
202 posts
365 battles
3 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I was sitting in my chair the other night calculating how much and how long it would take me to get the steel to earn Stalingrad. At some point during this I had a stark realization: I'm wasting my time. I'm sitting around grinding for pixel ships for a currency that was literally tossed out by some developers to get an OP ship for clan wars. If you've faced the Stalingrad, you already know how annoying it is to see in clan. "Oh look another Stalingrad", is typically the first remark I hear. Post x-mas and next clan season we will have more grads floating around, so we can ramp up the annoyance more.

Now I wanted this coveted ship, but during my realization I thought how stupid it all was. I waste my time/money grinding for a ship that will without a doubt get nurfed/or replaced by something even better down the line. Anyone who doubts that that statement is correct, either doesn't know how this game operates, or is blind to the fact. 

"Well Dr Venture, they wont replace it, just make a ship that fills another role better." Right that is all well and good, but then that ship interacts with others and essentially makes the ship you worked hard for, pointless to take (See Moskva in clan). 

Now I wanted Alaska, it was a historical ship that would have been really cool to float around and play....but 1 million free XP?

So lemme get this straight, you grind out 1 million free XP for a ship...right...so grinding from tier 1 to 10 is basically close to a million XP...but you know..you get games...a sense of progression...you spend gold...you don't keep track of your spending...you are having fun. Just take that in for a second....now we've got a tier 9 cruiser here that costs you 1 million free xp....you're going to play it...then you'll get bored with it....and toss it. My sense of accomplishment and value in that accomplishment is much shorter....it's been cheapened. 

If that number was smaller, I would think "well wait, I can accomplish this, I can do this...I can grind this out in operations." Nah...I'm not wasting my precious free time for a pixel ship.

*eyes the mountain of new premium ships coming for coal or steel that are 9/10* So why bother grinding lines now? The tier X's are inferior in several ways to the steel ships you're pumping out. 

I'm sorry wargaming, but you inflated your fake currency to the point where even the biggest of whales are seriously having doubts here. I'm a whale, a big one, I got burned BADLY on the piss poor RNG on the crates...and now everything above is coming home to roost in my mind. This game isn't worth the effort any more, you grind...they put in another finish line...grind...another finish line...and your accomplishments get eroded away by the next big shiny. 

Wargaming - please stop the top tier premiums...you're eroding the experience and sense of accomplishment. 

lol....yup.   the model was created in WoT.  WoWs is just the logical extension.  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,633 posts
4,602 battles
47 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Love me my Henry, very underrated beast at Tier 10 

Not by me.  I fell in love with him during Public Test.  "Soon, bebé, soon."

P.S.  Saint Louis ain't no slouch neither.

Speaking of chubbies, how about a Henri Quatre (or Saint Louis) clone premium with sustainable economics?

Hmmm? 

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,633 posts
4,602 battles
38 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

If new blood stops coming in, *then* the game dies.

Very true, and the essence of how the F2P model works. 

[CLARE]
Members
569 posts
3 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Too late!

I got 40" 4k last year.

Got GTX 1060 last week.

[WUDPS]
5,167 posts
4,954 battles
34 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Without some kind of big hairy-aft validated demographics breakdown to cite, there's actually quite a few "casuals" on the forums, if you count PvE aficionados as casual, myself included.

I'd be surprised if the Warships player base didn't look much the same as any other MMO community.

I do agree with others who think that too much focus on keeping the uber 1% happy tends to alienate the broader player base.

There needs to be something for everyone, and I think there is in WOWS. Heck, I got a chubby when an SC dropped a Kutuzov on me a couple years ago. Maybe we tend to focus on all the sales hype touting the next unicum-only OP superbote or event.

This tater is gonna tate his massive  taterness in fat, dumb, happy (well, except for CV's...) Taterland no matter what.

Here is the thing that really pissed me off.

I blow about 200 on santa crates, first year I got an Indy...second year I got a Lo Yang and a Kutuzov...this year I got 4 low tier garbage premium ships. 

Basically with each passing year, the value of the crates goes down...why...because they flooded the game with garbage premiums that have a higher RNG chance of showing up. In short, they sell you on the notion of buying crates can give you a chance to get the ship you want...or a banned ship...but instead you have a STUPID high chance of buying and getting the garbage ship...IE you must spend much more than the ship is actually worth.