You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Hamster wheel

61 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
4,848 battles

I was sitting in my chair the other night calculating how much and how long it would take me to get the steel to earn Stalingrad. At some point during this I had a stark realization: I'm wasting my time. I'm sitting around grinding for pixel ships for a currency that was literally tossed out by some developers to get an OP ship for clan wars. If you've faced the Stalingrad, you already know how annoying it is to see in clan. "Oh look another Stalingrad", is typically the first remark I hear. Post x-mas and next clan season we will have more grads floating around, so we can ramp up the annoyance more.

Now I wanted this coveted ship, but during my realization I thought how stupid it all was. I waste my time/money grinding for a ship that will without a doubt get nurfed/or replaced by something even better down the line. Anyone who doubts that that statement is correct, either doesn't know how this game operates, or is blind to the fact. 

"Well Dr Venture, they wont replace it, just make a ship that fills another role better." Right that is all well and good, but then that ship interacts with others and essentially makes the ship you worked hard for, pointless to take (See Moskva in clan). 

Now I wanted Alaska, it was a historical ship that would have been really cool to float around and play....but 1 million free XP?

So lemme get this straight, you grind out 1 million free XP for a ship...right...so grinding from tier 1 to 10 is basically close to a million XP...but you know..you get games...a sense of progression...you spend gold...you don't keep track of your spending...you are having fun. Just take that in for a second....now we've got a tier 9 cruiser here that costs you 1 million free xp....you're going to play it...then you'll get bored with it....and toss it. My sense of accomplishment and value in that accomplishment is much shorter....it's been cheapened. 

If that number was smaller, I would think "well wait, I can accomplish this, I can do this...I can grind this out in operations." Nah...I'm not wasting my precious free time for a pixel ship.

*eyes the mountain of new premium ships coming for coal or steel that are 9/10* So why bother grinding lines now? The tier X's are inferior in several ways to the steel ships you're pumping out. 

I'm sorry wargaming, but you inflated your fake currency to the point where even the biggest of whales are seriously having doubts here. I'm a whale, a big one, I got burned BADLY on the piss poor RNG on the crates...and now everything above is coming home to roost in my mind. This game isn't worth the effort any more, you grind...they put in another finish line...grind...another finish line...and your accomplishments get eroded away by the next big shiny. 

Wargaming - please stop the top tier premiums...you're eroding the experience and sense of accomplishment. 

• Cool 17
  • Boring 4

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I was sitting in my chair the other night calculating how much and how long it would take me to get the steel to earn Stalingrad. At some point during this I had a stark realization: I'm wasting my time. I'm sitting around grinding for pixel ships for a currency that was literally tossed out by some developers to get an OP ship for clan wars. If you've faced the Stalingrad, you already know how annoying it is to see in clan. "Oh look another Stalingrad", is typically the first remark I hear. Post x-mas and next clan season we will have more grads floating around, so we can ramp up the annoyance more.

Now I wanted this coveted ship, but during my realization I thought how stupid it all was. I waste my time/money grinding for a ship that will without a doubt get nurfed/or replaced by something even better down the line. Anyone who doubts that that statement is correct, either doesn't know how this game operates, or is blind to the fact. 

"Well Dr Venture, they wont replace it, just make a ship that fills another role better." Right that is all well and good, but then that ship interacts with others and essentially makes the ship you worked hard for, pointless to take (See Moskva in clan). 

Now I wanted Alaska, it was a historical ship that would have been really cool to float around and play....but 1 million free XP?

So lemme get this straight, you grind out 1 million free XP for a ship...right...so grinding from tier 1 to 10 is basically close to a million XP...but you know..you get games...a sense of progression...you spend gold...you don't keep track of your spending...you are having fun. Just take that in for a second....now we've got a tier 9 cruiser here that costs you 1 million free xp....you're going to play it...then you'll get bored with it....and toss it. My sense of accomplishment and value in that accomplishment is much shorter....it's been cheapened. 

If that number was smaller, I would think "well wait, I can accomplish this, I can do this...I can grind this out in operations." Nah...I'm not wasting my precious free time for a pixel ship.

*eyes the mountain of new premium ships coming for coal or steel that are 9/10* So why bother grinding lines now? The tier X's are inferior in several ways to the steel ships you're pumping out. 

I'm sorry wargaming, but you inflated your fake currency to the point where even the biggest of whales are seriously having doubts here. I'm a whale, a big one, I got burned BADLY on the piss poor RNG on the crates...and now everything above is coming home to roost in my mind. This game isn't worth the effort any more, you grind...they put in another finish line...grind...another finish line...and your accomplishments get eroded away by the next big shiny. 

Wargaming - please stop the top tier premiums...you're eroding the experience and sense of accomplishment. 

agreed wayyy too many high tier premiums and even noobs will find a way to get them causing high tier to be saturated with premiums

unless that is WG's solution the the :etc_swear: MM that they've given T8s, saturate high tiers enough so T8s dont see s many T9-10s

better solution: +1/-1 MM

Edited by Ace6steel
  • Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
7,429 posts
13,599 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

even noobs will find a way to get them causing high tier to be saturated with premiums

They won't be noobs by the time they get the steel to get the ships.

• Funny 1

[CLARE]
Members
321 posts

Heh.  I had a similar moment a few days ago.

I was looking at my guineas in Arsenal.  I got 28.  So... I was...  I only need 22 to get to 50 and get Cossack.  Hm...  How much those guineas are going to cost...  Oh, about 22 USD.  Hm...  Do I want to spend 22 USD on, as you said, "pixel ships"?  (And that is when I had the moment.)  This is a game.  Those are pixels.  No.  I don't want to spend 22 USD on pixels.

I still enjoy the game.  I am playing it.  I will keep playing it.  i don't plan to spend real money though.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

They won't be noobs by the time they get the steel to get the ships.

not every high tier premium is a steel ship y'know

[TDD]
Members
1,055 posts
8,556 battles

they are killing their game

my wallet closed a long time ago... I can still have fun but i dont worry about keeping up with the jonese's any more

WG has no one to blame but themselves

• Cool 1

[HGE]
Members
32 posts
3,951 battles

Same thoughts here when debated over getting crates...what can I buy with $50-70?!

Went and bought another year of Humble Bundle!!!

But I would get the 1 year Premium though so I can grind up all ship lines lol

16 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Beta Testers
361 posts
137 battles
19 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Well for one, they should have never made unique ships a reward for competitive play. No other game does anything like this and for good reasons. The rewards for Steel should have been purely cosmetic from the start. Even the Legendary upgrades would have sufficed as "walking the fine line". Unique ships leap over that line and not only alienate your player base, piss off your biggest whales (no whales no game), but also set a historical marker that will be cited in the future(/ near future) when people start moving on to other games as being the primary reason.  You don't see ANY other game saying "Sorry you can't even play the Mage and Knight class until you win a bunch in our competitive arena".  That is in essence what WG did with Ships for Steel.

They should not stop with this event. They should continue to sell steel in the shop, but they should also allow you to convert FXP (Combined with) Credits into Steel. That is a way to drain the mass quantities and over abundance of certain resources they claim the community has. They already have new currencies for competitive play beyond Steel that should be simply reserved for 100% cosmetic rewards.

If there is a legitimate problem with participation the solution is blatantly obvious that even a 5 year old could figure it out.  "Enjoyment".  Fix what makes the mode unenjoyable. Fix the broken balance of your game overall that is clear as day to anyone who understands statistics. Fix the rules within the competitive mode. Make it more intuitive. Don't add a bigger carrot.  There are a multitude of games FAR more successful than any WG title that only offer cosmetic rewards for competitive and have ZERO issues with participation.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

I don't mind spending money on the game, I also don't worry about "this ship" or "that ship". But I also have enough games in that any premium ship I buy, good chance I can play it. What I have started to really notice are players with only a few hundred battles trying to play high tier premiums and getting destroyed, that is the problem with "cash" boats now. 

[WOLF9]
Members
8,811 posts
4,180 battles
6 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

No, they're not.  Top-tier players need to realize that they are in a small minority.  Digest the numbers.  Only 30% of the players have *any* high-tier (Steel-worthy) ships.  I have only two.  Your dissatisfaction with the long term grind has NO effect on the health of the game.  Frankly, your griping has more.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,405 posts

I'm sorry, but it should be clear that WG is not extracting enough money out of the player base. :Smile_amazed:

Pay to play campaigns? Making coveted items so expensive and grindy that you spend money just to keep from losing your mind....Santa's crates, but no ship sales?

It's why I barely play anymore, and repeatedly ignore events...If i earn something thru occasional play, so be it. I'm far to old and far too damaged to tolerate the grind, and not foolish enough to believe full price for  anything in this game is really worth it.

• Cool 3

[OO7]
Members
4,278 posts
10,947 battles

I burned down 2 stalingrad stuck bow in to me last night in my henri. I took 1 citadel from them and took more damage from the zao backing them up than I did from them. 

It does some things well and others it doesn't do well.... 

I'd much rather play my henri than a stalingrad. 

That being said, I look forward to the potato clans having access to stalingrad now and not having a clue how to use it. Free dmg. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WDS]
Members
1,519 posts
8,265 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

I can understand and feel your Pain . If your playing the game to grind ships it must be really annoying to fillaly get there and have it nerfed a month later . But me I'm not to good I play because I love it and anything I get for free I'm happy with . I have lots of FXP I have accumulated just from playing a lot not because I'm good . I buy flags and an occasional premium ship and I'm happy . I love the snowflake event and all the other ways you can get free stuff in the game . I can understand some people being annoyed with the nerfing of ships u just got . But all and all I think WG done a real nice job with the holiday events and all the free stuff available to earn and I still really enjoy the game . Thanks Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Boring 1

[KSC]
Members
245 posts
3,949 battles
34 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I've played nothing but Henri for the past month or so, please give me more Stalingrads enjoy.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
12 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No, they're not.  Top-tier players need to realize that they are in a small minority.  Digest the numbers.  Only 30% of the players have *any* high-tier (Steel-worthy) ships.  I have only two.  Your dissatisfaction with the long term grind has NO effect on the health of the game.  Frankly, your griping has more.

It's the same hardcore vs casual argument that I saw first in 2005 in World of Warcraft, and in a zillion games since.  The hardcores think they own the game, and that the game's existence hangs on their continued presence, when it's usually the other way around.  If the casuals didn't keep the lights on, there wouldn't be a competitive game for the hardcores to play...

Even in this smaller playerbase, you can see two or three or more distinct 'games' being played here by different groups, and in some cases they never actually meet each other, except maybe in the forums.

• Cool 3

[-TKS-]
Members
497 posts
8,176 battles
7 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

It's the same hardcore vs casual argument that I saw first in 2005 in World of Warcraft, and in a zillion games since.  The hardcores think they own the game, and that the game's existence hangs on their continued presence, when it's usually the other way around.  If the casuals didn't keep the lights on, there wouldn't be a competitive game for the hardcores to play...

Even in this smaller playerbase, you can see two or three or more distinct 'games' being played here by different groups, and in some cases they never actually meet each other, except maybe in the forums.

Actually put my thoughts into words ,  well said .

btw i dont think the casual players visit or post on the forums much ....

Also $ per hour i find warships hard to beat in the entertainment field. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[A-I-M]
Members
1,619 posts
8,740 battles
17 minutes ago, ij70 said:

I don't want to spend 22 USD on pixels.

Remember that when you're planning on shelling out for a new 50" 4K UHD flat screen.

Or a new phone. Old ones handle phone calls just as well; all the new ones do is manage pixels better.

• Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
8 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Remember that when you're planning on shelling out for a new 50" 4K UHD flat screen.

Or a new phone. Old ones handle phone calls just as well; all the new ones do is manage pixels better.

Or cable.  Or a landline.  Or drinks at the tavern.  Or a pack or two of cigs a day.  

All things that I used to see my money go to.  Think about how much money isn't going out of my wallet on the above things now.  A few bucks on a game for entertainment is pocket change compared to that pile.

In 2004, I used to smoke two packs of cigarettes a day, usually.  I quit in 2005.   At today's prices *where I live*, that's about $8/day, I think, maybe more, but I'll stick with that.  Compared to that ($240/month), a few bucks on some crates or premium time, or whatever, is pretty cheap.

Edited by mavfin87

[-BRS-]
Members
2,515 posts
15,785 battles
20 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I burned down 2 stalingrad stuck bow in to me last night in my henri. I took 1 citadel from them and took more damage from the zao backing them up than I did from them. 

It does some things well and others it doesn't do well.... 

I'd much rather play my henri than a stalingrad. 

That being said, I look forward to the potato clans having access to stalingrad now and not having a clue how to use it. Free dmg. 

So your calling my clan a potato clan now?

Yes you burnt down our stalingrad last night lol

It was fun seeing you out there on the high seas good job last night

[OO7]
Members
4,278 posts
10,947 battles
12 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

So your calling my clan a potato clan now?

Yes you burnt down our stalingrad last night lol

It was fun seeing you out there on the high seas good job last night

That was cute's stalingrads I burnt down that I was referring to. And we ended up losing to them on a last second yammy Salvo. 

Yeah, we burnt down your stalingrad but it was more a group effort. I did a lot more damage to cute's stalins than your guys'. 

Twas a fun game flipping A back and forth with you guys. You had a good chance to delete me as I didn't have hydro when I pushed up to hit the mini. 

I'm referring to the stalins that will be hitting the game where a clan has never achieved typhoon status. Those will be the fun ones. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[WOLF2]
Members
3,075 posts
14,805 battles
32 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Hardcore Beta-mod F2P: "How dare you come and destroy OUR game!" 

Casual Wallet-Hack P2P: "I just bought your game - it's awesome" :)

Edited by Commander_367

Members
22,387 posts
5,785 battles
55 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

my wallet closed a long time ago... I can still have fun but i dont worry about keeping up with the jonese's any more

I think once you stop worrying about the Joneses, their monetisation matters less, and you just pay for what you value.

I've only ever bought one premium, and that was with doubloons returned from my $10 Spee in a Steam sale. I used to buy a small doubloon package every so often, for demounting upgrades and retraining high skill captains. But now, my ship turnover has slowed, so hardly ever have to demount, and I got some free dubs from crates recently, and I have a couple 19pt. captains to bank elite XP for retraining, so I'm good there.

I do spend money on premium, but that's it. Nothing else is of value to me.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,619 posts
8,740 battles
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

Or cable.  Or a landline.  Or drinks at the tavern.  Or a pack or two of cigs a day.  

All things that I used to see my money go to.  Think about how much money isn't going out of my wallet on the above things now.  A few bucks on a game for entertainment is pocket change compared to that pile.

Agreed.

I just see a number of people using the term "pixel ships" or "pixels" with disdain. I understand their take, but the generalization breaks down extremely quickly. We're paying (if we pay) for entertainment, and each of us has our own sense of "fair play" or integrity in the business end of it, and our own sense of fairness in the battle/game aspect of it.

I'm not disagreeing at all with those who are tightening up on their wallets. We're laying out for entertainment rather than pixels, I think. If it ceases to be a good entertainment value,  it's time to walk away. If you think the company fails to act in good faith on the business end, walk. I think it is possible to like the game but be cynical, even disdainful, of the company that produces it.

There is this ongoing tug-of-war - the user wants to get to endgame content (the "best stuff"), but WG's numbers probably show them that player spending goes down the more they get toward the endgame content. Therefore this unending drive by WG to add endgame content, modify it (or "move the goalposts") ,etc., to keep players engaged enough to spend on it.

The nature of the tug-of-war is probably why (part of why, perhaps) WG is so secretive toward players; to be forthright to customers will allow the customer to realize sooner that WG is trying to "manage" them.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,004 posts

Hit me as I was suffering loss after loss in Random recently. I have spent $3,000 on it (money to WG), not counting Internet and Game Computer. I'm losing my interest with all the bad luck being thrown my way. Let's face it.. There is no skill in Santa Crates. Some folks are pulling ships.. I'm pulling NY streamers. I bought the PEF and it took 6 Random games to get a win (for the 400 base XP). My teams were winning, but somewhere after 8 minutes, everyone on my team started dying suddenly of impossible long-range hits and glancing blows. The PEF suddenly catches on fire every time someone fires HE in my general direction. I need to take a break. I think our demographic is being targeted.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Funny 1