You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Festive Frederich Friday - Steel Campaigns

28 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,249 posts
7,127 battles

640px-U.S._Department_of_Energy_-_Scienc

With Update 0.7.12, which methods are you pursuing for obtaining steel?

The Holidays are here and so are different ways to grind and earn steel.

Whether you're working on the 2 campaigns or combat missions, obtaining steel can get you access to rare and highly sought after ships in the Arsenal.

Steel has been spotted approaching in many directions, which campaigns, missions, or ships are you playing to build your steel stockpiles?

Check out the campaigns to earn steel here as well as the mighty Prinz Eitel Frederich!

"I've always been more interested in the future than in the past." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#festivefrederichfriday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
21 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Whether you're working on the 2 campaigns or combat missions, obtaining steel can get you access to rare and highly sought after ships in the Arsenal.

Steel has been spotted approaching in many directions, which campaigns, missions, or ships are you playing to build your steel stockpiles?

Check out the campaigns to earn steel here as well as the mighty Prinz Eitel Frederich!

"I've always been more interested in the future than in the past." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#festivefrederichfriday

#anchorsaweigh

All of them. I got the Steel Prinz to get more steel and make the grind easier. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles
24 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

which methods are you pursuing for obtaining steel?

All methods, My goal is to own every ship. Now we have to work on a way to get the tester ships. This could possibly be done like the Alabama was, with separate ships for testers and sell them for steel. I know you testers won't like it, try to see my point of view though. It's not like every one will try to get them, and even if I can get them, it would take a very long time to acquire all that steel.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,004 posts

The rare ships will only be rare for so long. Promises were made, but times change. A good portion of those 'Alpha' and 'Beta' players have moved on. This makes it tougher to justify keeping the artwork in the game. Arkansas-B anyone?

Edited by AVR_Project

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,367 posts
5,422 battles
45 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

All methods, My goal is to own every ship. Now we have to work on a way to get the tester ships. This could possibly be done like the Alabama was, with separate ships for testers and sell them for steel. I know you testers won't like it, try to see my point of view though. It's not like every one will try to get them, and even if I can get them, it would take a very long time to acquire all that steel.

Have you ever heard of the thought experiment: the ship of theseus? How many parts of the ship can be replaced before it's no longer the same ship? The problem with Ark Beta and Iwaki Alpha is that they are overpowered. In Iwaki's case unbalancingly so.

Ark Beta can use tier 9/10 module slots at tier 4. Iwaki has tons of tricks for a T4 like smoke, hydro, 10km torps, Aiming System Mod 0 making it laser accurate.

If WG wanted to release them to the general public, they will have to gut them into emasculated 'balanced' versions, which for all intents wouldn't really be the Ark Beta or Iwaki Alpha non testers hope for.

If you were to buy a balanced - i.e. significantly inferior - Iwaki non-Alpha, could you really say that you've collected Iwaki Alpha? Is it really the same ship?

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles

I'm using them  all:

1. Clan Battles

2. Snow flakes

3. In the Name of his Highness

4. Nerves of Steel

5. Steel Monsters

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,860 battles

Whether I receive some or not, makes no difference as none of the steel priced ships appeal to me at the moment.  However some of the coal ships do.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

The only steel ship that I have any interest in is Flint. But the 4000 steel from the Steel Monsters Campaign wont get me there so I'll pass.

Besides, I think $60 is way too steep for it.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Ark Beta can use tier 9/10 module slots at tier 4. Iwaki has tons of tricks for a T4 like smoke, hydro, 10km torps, Aiming System Mod 0 making it laser accurate.

I have played them as a Corgie before. It's not like I would want to play them all of the time anyway, why have over 250 ships if ya don't play them all.

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles

What is going to be interesting if this is a one time thing or they will repeat it it gain next year.?

[NMKJT]
Members
3,608 posts
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#festivefrederichfriday

#anchorsaweigh

None of them. If I follow all of them i won't have enough steel to get a ship, so the bundles don't seem a good value.

Working on snowflakes and making creds so I can put equipment on all the ships from Santa crates

[GNOME]
Members
21 posts
4,095 battles
1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

The only steel ship that I have any interest in is Flint. But the 4000 steel from the Steel Monsters Campaign wont get me there so I'll pass.

i completely agree with you. I'm fine with the ship bundles but imo its not worth $60. it it had been closer to $30 i might have purchased it but i don't need steel that bad that i'm gonna pay $60 for a campaign that you only have 180 days to complete. i like the concept just wish it had been done differently. 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,447 posts
10,405 battles
2 hours ago, ZachOneX1 said:

i completely agree with you. I'm fine with the ship bundles but imo its not worth $60. it it had been closer to $30 i might have purchased it but i don't need steel that bad that i'm gonna pay $60 for a campaign that you only have 180 days to complete. i like the concept just wish it had been done differently. 

Was watching this and set a price of 35.00 dollars in my mind...so almost double that is way more than I would pay...got Fallout 76 for less than that and am absolutely enjoying it...so how does a mission compare to full game..?  It doesn't .

[KAPPA]
Members
713 posts
5,649 battles
5 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

There's a total of 4k free ones, mind, assuming you earn PEF and do the PEF only mission. Between that and steel monsters, you can get 8k steel on top of what you can get from snowflakes. Steel Monsters also has a lot of nice stuff in it in general, which is why it's so much.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,995 posts
9,304 battles
11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I disagree that they should be for steel.

Coal maybe, but honestly, more free xp or a series of missions to earn that's honestly a fairly easy farm. 

And I say this as someone with BOTH Iwaki Alpha and Arkansas Beta. There are only 2 things I would ask and they aren't exactly unreasonable. The first obvious one the non-tester versions much like the ST/non ST version of Bama, drop the Alpha and Beta from the titles. The second is to give us a slightly different camo scheme (preferably the same type but new colour pallet as I actually like the camo's as is) with maybe an extra bonus to commander training and/or free xp. The XP bonuses I say only because with the way missions are anymore requiring at least tier 5, and the low earnings, tier 4 and lower premiums, forget about tech tree ships as they are even worse save a troll ship like St.L, tend to be treated as port slots because they just don't have the same earning potential. Truth be told I think all the lower tier premiums should get this, but that Alpha/Beta's camo should be just a tad better. Some of us actually put work in and weren't just in it for early access. And truth be told that's all the "I only get it" reward I need - a camo. And the flags I have that say I'm an Alpha and Beta tester. 

It's been over 3 years since we got these ships - that were testbeds for increasing a ships module count to compensate losses as well as effectiveness/power, and a test bed for cruisers with smoke and more of a DD style of play. We had them to ourselves that long, and honestly it was longer really than we should have had exclusivity. Events like this, that can tear down that barrier for those that don't want to play ranked to get those ships, that Bama was outright sold, when ST members it's almost like a job (Former ST, know how rough it can be), it's time to stop denying access to a least a stripped of the Alpha/Beta portion Arkansas and Iwaki. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles
28 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

I disagree that they should be for steel.

Coal maybe, but honestly, more free xp or a series of missions to earn that's honestly a fairly easy farm. 

And I say this as someone with BOTH Iwaki Alpha and Arkansas Beta. There are only 2 things I would ask and they aren't exactly unreasonable. The first obvious one the non-tester versions much like the ST/non ST version of Bama, drop the Alpha and Beta from the titles. The second is to give us a slightly different camo scheme (preferably the same type but new colour pallet as I actually like the camo's as is) with maybe an extra bonus to commander training and/or free xp. The XP bonuses I say only because with the way missions are anymore requiring at least tier 5, and the low earnings, tier 4 and lower premiums, forget about tech tree ships as they are even worse save a troll ship like St.L, tend to be treated as port slots because they just don't have the same earning potential. Truth be told I think all the lower tier premiums should get this, but that Alpha/Beta's camo should be just a tad better. Some of us actually put work in and weren't just in it for early access. And truth be told that's all the "I only get it" reward I need - a camo. And the flags I have that say I'm an Alpha and Beta tester. 

It's been over 3 years since we got these ships - that were testbeds for increasing a ships module count to compensate losses as well as effectiveness/power, and a test bed for cruisers with smoke and more of a DD style of play. We had them to ourselves that long, and honestly it was longer really than we should have had exclusivity. Events like this, that can tear down that barrier for those that don't want to play ranked to get those ships, that Bama was outright sold, when ST members it's almost like a job (Former ST, know how rough it can be), it's time to stop denying access to a least a stripped of the Alpha/Beta portion Arkansas and Iwaki. 

I thought that I would be ripped apart for that post. You sir are very enlightened. The comment has been made that test ship are just too OP to be let out into the population. I didn't find them too OP when I used them as a Corgie Captain. I really thought that it would be too much to even suggest that they be for coal or  purchasable mission or some such idea. If WG took the A's B's off of them and offered them, the collector's would be the ones to buy them and or work for coal or whatever resource to acquire them. Good luck all on the Snowflakes, I am back to my 254 snowflake Co op grind. Can I get an Ice Breaker?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,995 posts
9,304 battles
11 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

If WG wanted to release them to the general public, they will have to gut them into emasculated 'balanced' versions, which for all intents wouldn't really be the Ark Beta or Iwaki Alpha non testers hope for.

If you were to buy a balanced - i.e. significantly inferior - Iwaki non-Alpha, could you really say that you've collected Iwaki Alpha? Is it really the same ship?

Not necessarily. Once upon a time maybe because there were few ships to compete, and there is some skewing because at this point your talking some of the longest time players with the most experience playing them. And even with that -

Ark B -

• is about .5% ahead of Orion in WR though not a stat I personally put much stock in
  • Behind Orion and only barely ahead of Kaiser in frags
  • Deals less damage than Orion, and only a tiny but more than Kaiser, and Courbet not that far behind.
  • Nothing new premiums have higher average xp
  • Dead last in plane kills causes she has literally no AA and is a favorite target of CV's, even more so a thing if this rework manages to work 1/4 as well as Wargaming seems to think it will.
  • and K/D again, sandwiched between Orion and Kaiser. 

Iwaki Alpha on the one hand you have a point because top of the class, but the other, a very small sample size and again, more veteran players, those averages could drag down if given to more people. And some of that is what used to be how the game works. She no longer has flawless stealth in smoke, and more players have figured out tactics to handle ships in smoke, useful as other cruisers at that tier have Hydro now, and while I know of no other with smoke Danae I know gets a repair party. And being basically "Super Tenryu" - shares the infamous flaw of really all IJN cruisers - she's a floating citadel. Unlike ships like Kami R - she was also clipped a bit by the torp nerf as I recall (her spotting range for the speed of her torps is higher than it should be like all IJN DD's and cruisers in the tech tree and post nerf premiums) which is possible as we did not buy her and therefore, technically free game to be nerfed, kinda like the ARP ships. 

There's also another line of thinking, and that is that part of the problem fighting it, much like a cold, is exposure. Because these ships are rare, and no one else can obtain them, and therefore never really learn how to counter them, something that happens with premiums normally to an extent as not everyone can get them. And do super well early but than start to fall. By increasing the number, seeing more per match allows for more to see it in battle and get used to their presence, as well as more to earn the ship, meaning they can play the ship and figure out that it's strengths and weaknesses, and develop better counters to the ship. 

But I'm slightly biased - because I have these ships, I've learned how to beat them, same with Saipan, same with Belfast, and others. And there's a chance that maybe we don't need to make these ship worse - maybe we need to make the other ships better. Some power creep has occurred, more against Ark B than Iwaki, but maybe we need to just give those BB's and all some updates anyway. 

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,995 posts
9,304 battles
8 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The comment has been made that test ship are just too OP to be let out into the population. I didn't find them too OP when I used them as a Corgie Captain.

If one looks at pure stats, he has a point on Iwaki Alpha - but there are factors like low exposure that can aid those stats being that high. Ark Beta has suffered a bit more power creep though, Orion and Kaiser respectively beat and compete with her in almost all categories. And there's the fact that people with these ships,much has the game has changed, have played longer than anyone with any other ship type, and see more brand new players which kinda adds to a potential advantage in stats as well. Like putting a 16-0 NFL team against a college team. I don't view them as OP either but having them also means I know the strengths and weaknesses of the ship, and therefore how to beat them, and I would assume you have experience playing in or against the UK cruisers - which Iwaki essentially was the test bed for their setups, which means you'd have some clue how to beat them as well as the tactics to do so are very much the same. Something again, new players won't have. 

Truth is it's perspective on how one thinks it should be handled and what would happen. Personally, I think releasing them would be better, as players can better dissect the tactics and strengths/weaknesses, and get more combat time against them and can learn more to fight them. But I can't fully deny that he could have point and we would be releasing OP ships. Though they are a bit less of an issue when everyone can get them cause at least that point it's not just a handful that get the power and we can always work toward improving the other ships to compete with it. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles

@Gneisenau013 please pay close attention to @WanderingGhost and toss this idea out to WOWS central, he seems to be an extremely intelligent individual, and why not make easy money on ships that are already there. You earned it you owe it to yourselves to make something off of them. After all how much did you make on the Alabama? Right?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,098 posts
3,566 battles
13 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I'm a collector myself. I am missing the Iwaki Alpha (only thing I need to complete IJN Tree). However, this will never happen. Especially with the Alabama ST - As it is hard enough for ST's to get it as it is (around 3-4% get it ever 3 months - roughly 3-4 ppl). The only way for STs to get it is to be super active in all tests, provide lots of feedback, etc. Not all STs get it or will get it.

As much as I would love the Iwaki Alpha, I will never get it. I DO however think that the standard ship should be offered (adjust Iwaki/Arkansas to be balanced without the extra modules, and sell as normal prem).

[WOLF2]
Members
3,075 posts
14,805 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, Gneisenau013 said:

Maybe you can explain why PEF bundles 1 & 2 have compensation at 6800 doubloons, while the more expensive bundles Mighty Prinz and Steel Prinz only give 5780 and 4670 respectively? If that 's for people buying the bundle twice or waiting until after the grind to buy it, that's unrealistic and wouldn't make sense.

A lot of people are reading this as compensation in doubloons for buying the bundles and grinding the reward ship - if it's credits you should make that clear 

Edited by Commander_367

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles
2 minutes ago, danredda1616 said:

As much as I would love the Iwaki Alpha, I will never get it. I DO however think that the standard ship should be offered (adjust Iwaki/Arkansas to be balanced without the extra modules, and sell as normal prem).

Although I would prefer them to be as is, if I had too, I could live with something like that. Gremy and Nick are not so over powered anymore and they were considered as good or better than the test ships. They both have flaws to exploit as I found out as a Corgie. The biggest flaw with the OP ships these days is that the teams know enough to concentrate on them most of the time.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,995 posts
9,304 battles

@danredda1616 That sometimes is enough to just have the "base" ship. Example - I have Kami R and Fujin beyond having an R, a different name, and different paint - still a Kamikaze much as I'm a collector do I really need a 3rd? Difference between Bama and Bama ST last I checked is the same, it has ST and a paint scheme, but same stats otherwise. That and at least on US ships in particular, it still means people from Alabama, and in the case of Ark B Arkansas, can still get the ship that represents there state, or others would be their city, country, etc in other lines. Put out as the same, just minus the tags and a different camo, how different is it really if the stats and abilities are the same? Which is my point of view, I think they are fine as, Ark is losing ground already and Iwaki is partially lack of experience with it so not knowing how to fight it along with just what players have it. And that at worst if when in the hands of the general public it is in fact OP - the other ships can be buffed. A few may well even be due for some anyway.

[TF16]
Modder
1,004 posts
7,762 battles
9 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I thought that I would be ripped apart for that post. You sir are very enlightened  

I’m also glad to see that you weren’t attacked for just expressing an opinion. Well done. There are still a few polite people left in here, but I’m just amazed at how many people that have literally thousands of posts, choose to have no qualms about doing the exact opposite. Let’s see if that trend continues. Merry Christmas to all. 

• Cool 1