Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

Torpedo Acceleration on the Black?

13 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
3,452 posts
5,314 battles

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the Torpedo Acceleration skill on a dedicated USS Black captain? The low detection range or the Black’s sea mines makes the prospect novel, though 48 knots is still really slow, and the drop to 9.5ish km range is less than ideal. Can Black’s torps be worked into direct fire weapons, or is it better just to accept that they’re only suited to area denial munitions?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,139 posts
19,989 battles

This is an interesting question that I'd like an answer to as well.  :cap_hmm:

Members
74 posts
15,390 battles

Torpedo range for Black torps is 13.7km, so TA would reduce that by 20% would leave it at 10.96km. Not as bad as you were thinking. 

I just got the Black too and am considering using TA. I think the extra speed would be helpful, and I'm not that big on torps that go beyond that range anyway since they spread out so much they become much easier to dodge especially when travelling at such slow speeds. I think these torps are better suited for closer targets so I don't mind giving up a little range for improved speed. True, though, TA only improves your torp speed from terrible to just really bad. But, perhaps, the short torpedo detection range of .9km will become more valuable with slightly faster torp speeds.

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
116 posts
13,753 battles

I don't have the Black but from your question I am assuming it has the same torps as the Sims (or similar).    I've tried what you described on the Sims and the exata 5 knots on the torps didn't add any additional utility/usefulness in my experience.  They still only served in the area denial role and only occasionally fired with intent when a bb allows me to get to just outside my detection range.  

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,568 battles

I'm glad you brought this up.  I was considering getting the Black and assumed it had Fletcher torps.  But 43 knot torps is painfully slow.  You may have changed my mind on this ship.  48kts is still really bad.  Don't consider anything under 50 kts to be very useful.

[-BRS-]
Members
2,515 posts
15,785 battles

Yeah TA really doesn't help much but the low detection and high damage do make campers very sad but if you're trying to hit a moving ship good luck

I use a mostly for area denial and if I actually get a torp hit I just consider it a bonus

As with my Sims I've seen ships Dodge the wave and if they do a 180° then sometimes they even hit them on the back side of their turn lol

Edited by silverdahc

[SQUAD]
Members
8,033 posts
8,371 battles

I've found the sea mines to be quite effective, both for area denial, and for blapping something. The thing is, you can't use them like you're used to. I've found that leading well, and I do mean well, in advance of a target will get you long range results, because if you don't get what you were going for, someone wanders in the way and SURPRISE.

Oddly, sea mines are more effective than Benson torps. Faster is not always better. It is with IJN torps, because of the high detection, but sea mines have low detection, and the slower closing speed makes adjusting to them when seen a lot harder.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,452 posts
5,314 battles

So on the topic of the Black’s torpedoes...are they still bugged? I see in LWM’s preview on the ships that the torpedoes on the Black were originally had a damage glitch, and I notice that I’m not doing anything close to the listed 21,600 damage on the Black’s torpedoes, even against other DDs. 

[CUTER]
Members
2,456 posts
11,320 battles

I created a TA Gearing captain I run on Black and on occasion my Gearing. If memory serves you trim nearly a second off the reaction time, far more than you get with the more standard 67 knot speeds on most DDs at this tier.

I still prefer a full gun build as I do consider the torps a harassment weapon even with TA.

19 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

So on the topic of the Black’s torpedoes...are they still bugged? I see in LWM’s preview on the ships that the torpedoes on the Black were originally had a damage glitch, and I notice that I’m not doing anything close to the listed 21,600 damage on the Black’s torpedoes, even against other DDs. 

I have not noticed that, I will run some training room testing to see. There are lots of reasons why you will do less than full damage, for example torpedo defenses on larger ships, saturation, and location of the point of impact. You do the most damage hitting a DD amidships and much less to the bow and stern.

On 12/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, DreadRaybo said:

I'm glad you brought this up.  I was considering getting the Black and assumed it had Fletcher torps.  But 43 knot torps is painfully slow.  You may have changed my mind on this ship.  48kts is still really bad.  Don't consider anything under 50 kts to be very useful.

This is one of the main differences between Chung Mu, Fletcher and Black.  Black struggles to deal with CA and BB as efficiently as the other two.

• Cool 2

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles

Hey

For those considering the Black; Take a look at the Flint (think Atlanta), she has longer range torps, fun guns, and the smoke makes the ship very interesting.  Sure it's not a DD but she can be played in a similar role..  Just thought I would throw it out there as an alternative, I'm enjoying mine quite a bit.

Pete

[HOOPR]
[HOOPR]
Members
7 posts
4,684 battles

Haven't bothered with TA on my Black. I do have my torp reload down to minimum and I use them strictly in a fire and forget area denial fashion.

I rarely fire at ships just at where I think ships will congregate especially at the edges of islands where DD's and CA's will pop out from then hide behind again.

My fav tactic in those specific scenarios is to fire one salvo only, wait until the tubes are halfway through their reload cycle then fire my second salvo. Rinse, repeat. Eventually red will realize that they can't safely fight in the area without risking low speed, low manuverability blundering into my sea mines. I can usually count on at least a few torp hits per game when this scenario pops up.

I really like the slowness of the torps. I dont waste much time or thought sending them out at ships since my main concern is getting into good position for spamming gunfire on bigger ships or contesting caps against DD's. Yet I usually get a surprising amount of torp damage every match just by targeting the sea lanes that red ships will be sailing through.

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
226 posts
15,374 battles
3 hours ago, Zip_Zip said:

Haven't bothered with TA on my Black. I do have my torp reload down to minimum and I use them strictly in a fire and forget area denial fashion....

Ditto

I did see a YT review with acceleration, but myself chose to keep longer range. There are usually many tier X and IX campers in the back that I would like to reach with extra range. For them speed is no significant since they are static.

Actually I was surprised to get a fair number of hits simply by selecting high traffic areas. I even hit some DDs. Not sure that few knots of extra speed would make much difference. Depends on your target. I like to punish static BBs so prefer more range.

Sign in to follow this