You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

What am i doing wrong? (Baltimore)

10 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
978 posts
2,392 battles

I'm barely pushing 50% win ratio in this thing. I felt i did pretty good in the Pensacola, by shooting at range and dodging incoming round with nice turn radius. However, with the Baltimore (and RADAR) I try to support my team, mainly dd's, by going close to cap and supporting them. I try to use cover ie: islands as best i can, but i always get blapped by some BB with good sigma. I try to peak around islands and use front turrets, but eat citadel hits also. I'm just finding this ship pretty difficult to play. 

I really don't like the playstyle of hiding behind islands, because frankly i suck at doing it. Maybe i need to take a break from this line and go the Russian route. Thoughts?

[TBW]
Members
7,445 posts
13,614 battles
25 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I really don't like the playstyle of hiding behind islands, because frankly i suck at doing it. Maybe i need to take a break from this line and go the Russian route. Thoughts?

I ground past Baltimore in Cherry Blossom (I kept the ship though). If you play it with the people from the Hoperations channel on Discord you can get to the next ship quite easily. Use Signals and Camo for XP boost. The Hoperations channel can be found here. It's populated more at night.  https://discord.gg/DBjQk5

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
116 posts
13,753 battles

I struggled with the Balti as well.   While you don't like it the peek, shoot, hide play style is the only way I found to make it work.   Its speed and maneuvering is far to sluggish to play effectively in open water, though I had occasional success kiting away engaging targets outside my detection range so I could have a chance to go dark when needed.   

IMO focus on the following

• when shooting from around/behind islands, be hyper aware of where the opfor BBs and heavy cruisers were before poking out and firing.   Try to avoid giving a clear line of sight to anyone
  • don't get greedy, especially when bottom tier.   do some chip damage on targets then break detection 
  • don't rush up to get your radar in play right off.  Try to wait a bit unitl you have a better idea of where BBs will be shooting from.   If you are the only one around to bring radar to play,  try to do so without exposing yourself.  At that point your radar is more important that getting your guns in play, especially if you don't know where BBs are going to be shooting from yet.  You don't have the DPM to knock out an high tier DD in the first engagement and you become more dangerous in the later stages of a game.
  • If you are in open water, get in a kiting position first before you open up, fire off a few salvos then go dark... rinse and repeat or re position as needed
  • Basically be more cautious for the first 10min of the game avoiding death or significant damage, chip away here and there and preserve yourself.  Your 203s can do serious work later in the game on wounded ships of all classes. 

[NDA]
Supertester
5,156 posts
15,328 battles

OP, you might need professional help but don't worry I have a solution. Step 1, have replays enabled. Step 2, play the ship you are having problems with. Step 3, grab a coin preferably something made of gold [one of those gold foil chocolate coins will work] and summon the Master of Replay commentary. The words are as follow. 

I Summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Guardian of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Ruler of Bitcoinestan, Inspector General of Signals, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Keeper of Krakens, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in their time of need.

Submit you replay to the nice dragon who shows up and than tune into the weekend live stream for a review. Or catch the replay later when it goes up on the YouTube channel. 

Good luck and fair seas, 

Minion of Smaug 

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles

Granted, I didn't play her in Randoms all the time, but here's my observations:

1. Your AP is great against other cruisers, and even against some battleships. Don't neglect the 2 button, especially against cruisers. I've seen her outright delete cruisers before.

2. You are fragile, but not overly so. You will take citadels easily, and taking some chip damage is fine with her large-for-a-cruiser healthpool, but be aware when you are overextending and may take huge damage.

3. She's very effective at killing cruisers, chipping battleships, and SPOTTING destroyers. She so-so about killing destroyers with her high shell arcs and slowish reload. I've found she's great a scaring DDs away, though. However, if you think you can hit that DD without taking too much return fire yourself, go for it.

4. Work with your team. That's an important lesson for the Balti, Buffalo, and DM. They can't face other ships without support. If you 1v1 someone, you better be sure you have some backup, and mind your positioning.

5. Take Radar (duh) and, if you want, also take the module that speeds up your acceleration time. I found it extremely useful for getting out of a bad situation.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,847 posts
5,245 battles

Basically there's two things in ships like this.  Option 1 is pushing close to support with radar early on, but doing this is risky.  If you get picked up en route to the hard cover you might get blapped.  But the other problem is, OK Got to hard cover, used my radar...  Now what?  Well that's where this playstyle becomes risky.  Option one is to do nothing, hide and gain intelligence.  Basically you want to find out where the heavy hitters are, what position they've taken.  Once you've got a good idea of that you can start popping out and using the islands to keep them from killing you outright.  But with this playstyle I suggest shying away from Battleship combat.  It's hard to get a full head of steam going before becoming visible, especially with some islands and angles.  Basically in this method you're using the islands as shields from the BB's, and focusing on the cruisers.

The other method doesn't so much use islands but range is your friend.  Throttle control, turning, angling and range will allow you to dodge incoming salvos from the long range Battlewagons and will allow you to light them on fire and be a pain in their rears.  But this method means forgoing the radar/anti-DD tactics and focusing on BB's and cruisers.  Add into this the fact that I always try to iterate in my videos when I mention long range open water firing.  You're going to avoid 20 shells out of 21 fired at you.  That one shell you just CAN'T avoid will hit your back deck, it will find it's way into your citadel, and it will hurt. 

Now, I'm not saying stick to one method.  Basically you have to learn both to be truly effective during the course of the game because the lineup and game style is constantly changing.  Team lineups, if you find yourself in a BB heavy game, if you're up against 1 or 2 BB's, massive amounts of cruisers.  Abnormally large number of DD's etc.  With more time and experience you'll know when to use one method, or when to switch to the other.  Longer and better you get, the more effective you'll be throughout the course of the entire battle. 

Basically what I do is to not worry about damage early on.  I rush an island that'll block me, I don't want anyone to know I'm there.  I'm keeping my radar in the picture to help whatever DD is going to that capture point.  Once the DD is dealt with or is on the run, then I'll start backing up and getting out of close range combat.  Vary tactics as the situation arises really. 

I did one not too long ago on her, but I'm not the best player or anything special so may not help you lol

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,182 posts
16,758 battles

Summoned, I wave.

o/

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles

Playing a Radar Cruiser actively trying to aid the team in its efforts is one of the most stress-inducing forms of play in this game.  It can be very effective because it sways what goes on in the "DD Minigame' of a match.  There's no shortage of firepower in high tier.  But firepower cannot be applied to threats you cannot see.  Trying to go around as a US Radar Cruiser isn't easy.

Sure, you can just sail around in open water spamming shells or whatever.  But IMO, if you want to do that, you should be playing French, IJN, German Cruisers instead and you'll have a FAR BETTER time.

[FML]
Members
80 posts
2,893 battles

I'm finding the terrain absolutely awful for playing this ship. I can never seem to get my shells over the islands, maybe it just poor luck in map rotation. Also her tendency to eat devastating strikes from across the map is really dissapointing.  Baltimore seems like a conundrum: the guns want you to get in close along with the radar; the arc is not QUITE high enough to use many of the islands; and the armor and maneuverability is absolutely dreadful. Close or far kind of sucks at both

Members
768 posts
1,178 battles

My take on the Baltimore.

I need some time to learn the best way to use the radar so I don't focus on that right now.  Instead I look for when I can use it the best and what situations I could have done differently.  Moving in early game for radar doesn't seem to work well because it's short duration and multiple people need to be ready to exploit the reveal.  Most of the time people are still maneuvering and not yet aiming so I don't rush in early.  

I play the usual CA tactic of looking for other cruisers and broadside BBs to drop some AP on.  I keep an eye out for DDs but I don't make them a priority unless I am sure I'll get a few salvo's off with a high chance to hit.  The CLs should be focusing the DDs and I'll work the bigger targets with the bigger guns.

Later in the game is when I start maneuvering to bring the radar into play.  When the flank is mostly cleared out and there's one or two DDs left that need to be picked off.  I can make mistakes and they aren't as fatal while I learn to radar.