You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

new captain retraining 50% penalty

9 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,770 battles

Trying to get an IFHE captain into the Cleveland. If at 50%, is IFHE disabled until retaining completed, or is the capability scaled back 50 %. If scaled back, is the 30% fire change reduced to 15 %, or the amour penetration thickness scaled back ?

Same question for Demo Expert, reduced from 2% to 1 % ?

Edited by Ericson38

[WOLFC]
Members
1,108 posts
8,618 battles

I don't think it tells you until after you assign an untrained Captain with that skill, if it does, I don't see it ... haven't found anything in the wiki. 

DE is reduced by 50%, I don't have a Captain in training to see IFHE effect.

edit: Did find this in the Wiki, 2nd Screenshot ... SInce IFHE is a percentage, it should be active but reduced 50%

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Edited by DocWalker
new info

[PVE]
Members
8,143 posts
14,229 battles
13 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Trying to get an IFHE captain into the Cleveland. If at 50%, is IFHE disabled until retaining completed, or is the capability scaled back 50 %. If scaled back, is the 30% fire change reduced to 15 %, or the amour penetration thickness scaled back ?

Same question for Demo Expert, reduced from 2% to 1 % ?

IF you went with the 200K credits method so it only works at 50% until you earn the XP needed to fully train it you can always use Elite Capt XP or Free XP to finish that off and avoid the 50% period completely without paying 500 doubloons. It isn't usually all that much required. Just hit the little + sign to accelerate training and it will tell you how much Capt XP/FXP will be needed.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,989 posts

It's a common thing if I have a 10 point captain for grinding a new ship line. I pick out only those skills that have a percentage drop, then keep moving the captain up the tree, resetting the training counter as I go. About Tier 5, I invest 200K credits for 50% and grind that out.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,770 battles

I have a 16 pt Cleveland captain (without IFHE) so he is hurtin for certain.

I have 325 doubloons but need 400 to respect is skills to get IFHE in there.

I don't have any elite commander XP and I don't see a way to combine those doubloons with my convert XP to get there either.

One way I was thinking of going was to respect my New Orleans captain (for 300 doubloons) to include IFHE and drop the current CE in row 4. He is a 12 pt captain. Then, send him to reserve, then dismiss the Cleveland 16 pt captain to the reserves, then assign each ship to pick up the other's US cruiser captain at 50% training for 200K credits each. I have credits, so no problem there.

This seems arduous, but then I finally can get IFHE to the Cleveland, and the one going to the New Orleans will be very capable. Down side is that two ships have captains at 50% training, where none did prior. Upside is that New Orleans ends up with a nice 16 pt cap, and I don't think I will miss not having CE with the Cleveland's new captain (12 pt) since with a Cleveland I am shooting all the time anyway.

Now, during 50% retraining, is there an option to accelerate the remainder of it for doubloons ?

If there is, then the gold could be put to use in combination with the 200K credits.

[CAST]
Members
1,524 posts
7,983 battles

You can respec your captain using Free XP if you don't have any Elite Commander XP.  If you don't have enough Free XP, I think it will ask you to convert elite ship XP over to Free XP using doubloons, which will allow you to use your doubloons to top up a deficit of FreeXP.

[BUOY]
Members
292 posts
9,248 battles

On a tangent, WG would get a lot more people to pay doubloons for retraining even over the 200k + ECXP if they knocked a zero off the doubloons price, but as it is that price is a dinosaur left over from before the first captain skills rework.