You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

"Make A Wish" Torps

41 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
820 posts
1,865 battles

I was practicing my "2019 New Years Resolution" of not rushing into caps solo and getting deleted last night in the Akatsuki.  Rushed up to, but not in, C cap.  Dropped 3 sets of 3 each 10km torps along the inside coastline, and then skirted the cap spotting 2 cruisers while my team caught up.  (I was determined to make it to the end of the battle this time.)  A minute or so later...

Destroyer foundered...Dev. Strike...First Blood...

My question to the DD community:

How often to you drop blind torps...

What is your success rate...

Where do you send them...

Thanks for your answers.

[WORX]
Members
3,244 posts
14,670 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Never,

18 percent torp hit rate

at a secure BB target.

[KAPPA]
Members
711 posts
5,589 battles

Why limit things to DDs? Did it to a Lyon in Myoko once! "Hmm... He dropped off detection behind the island, and I never got a clear shot, but it was about the middle of the island... ...HAIL MARY TIME!"

It's something I actually do a lot in Mutsu. I mean... seriously, it's a 20 sec reload. Who can resist that?? Not that those ones are especially calculated, but it's worked more often than you'd expect 2 torps to work. Seriously, it's super easy to dodge 2 torps, but nobody expects the BB with a 20 sec torp reload to bother, I guess.

Actually, now that I think about it, most of those aren't even in DDs. I guess I don't see them as easily weaponizable in non-DDs? I actually only very rarely do so in DDs now that I think about it. And the times I do it, I tend to hit.

As for where, usually near islands.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
462 posts
4,614 battles

I've done quite a few blind drops across a cap, and reaped more than a few hits that way.

It also has the effect of making many BB's and cruisers abandon a push, not knowing where the next set of torps will come from.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,780 posts
4,565 battles

Depends on the launcher layout and whether you have RPF.

If you don't have RPF and the cap is contested you can use your detection circle on the minimap to see potential locations to torp.

Smokes are also a good blind torp target; if no hits connect, you at least inconvenience your opponent.

On a 3x3 like the Akatsuki I like to fire two launchers, then keep the third in reserve. 

Then you can also fire around islands where you know something is lurking.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,988 posts

Habit I carry forward from Co-Op, and somehow works excellently in Randoms... Always deselect target before launching torps. A lot of operators relax their WASD if they aren't being targeted.

[RE]
[RE]
Members
81 posts
2,714 battles

I do it quite often. Maybe 10-15% success. I usually shoot torps into lanes DDs take while approaching cap.

[-K-]
Members
6,086 posts
10,223 battles

If you are wise to the ship and tiers you are playing, a lot of maps can become somewhat predictable as to where the DDs and radar cruisers will set up.  It's never a bad idea to spam those areas every so often, if at least to flush a ship or two out of hiding (and maybe even bait their radar).

[NWNG]
Members
2,766 posts
4,641 battles
46 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I was practicing my "2019 New Years Resolution" of not rushing into caps solo and getting deleted last night in the Akatsuki.  Rushed up to, but not in, C cap.  Dropped 3 sets of 3 each 10km torps along the inside coastline, and then skirted the cap spotting 2 cruisers while my team caught up.  (I was determined to make it to the end of the battle this time.)  A minute or so later...

Thanks for your answers.

I drop blind torps quite often. Success rate is harder to determine. Torps being used for area denial has a far higher success rate, than torps being used to actually deal damage. Torps being used, to force a maneuver on your opponent that puts them broadside to the rest of the team, has a far higher success rate than torps being used to deal damage. So success ultimately depends on what it is you're using the torps for. As for where I send them, it ultimately depends as well. When the enemy hasn't been spotted, I send them to areas where there is a high probability of an enemy being. there; like what you did, after approaching the cap, launching torps into the cap, in hopes of catching them off guard. After the enemy has been spotted, then it becomes a prediction game. @Lord_Zath streamed a replay of my Ranked Harugumo play that I sent him (And I still thankful for his input on that replay), and in that replay I blind fired torps at a Zao, predicting where he was going to be, and those torps came really close to hitting, caused Zao to turn broadside to the rest of my team. My team didn't capitalize on it though, so the torps were a failure. Still the best predicted blind fire I made with torps.

Never underestimate blind torp salvos. Just don't do it every time, else you're just wasting credits. After the first blind salvo, the enemy knows you're there, and will start adjusting play accordingly, meaning you need more information to make better predictions.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
820 posts
1,865 battles
2 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I send them to areas where there is a high probability of an enemy being. there; like what you did, after approaching the cap, launching torps into the cap, in hopes of catching them off guard. @Lord_Zath

Any tips on these High Probability areas?  I generally send them early in the game along the coastline of caps entryways.  Anything else you can suggest generally?

[NWNG]
Members
2,766 posts
4,641 battles
14 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Any tips on these High Probability areas?  I generally send them early in the game along the coastline of caps entryways.  Anything else you can suggest generally?

The location is different for each map. But down the coast at Caps, is one such location. It also doesn't have to be down the coast per-say, anywhere into, or even near the cap, is a good option. Down the coast is the better option if it is available.

The Center Channel on Two Brothers is another such location, never know when an idiot is going to attempt a trench run.

When I get the time, I'll take a look at each available map, and highlight locations for a good early game blind torp salvo. At the moment, I am on the wrong computer.

[KSD]
Members
889 posts
5,277 battles
17 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Cant really tell that unless someone gets to show you those ingame,whether in a battle or training room. just keep on playing and youll learn eventually from where they are most likely to be. I certainly did after I started playing DDs and also you have to use your detection circle and cap contest notification to be more precise with the blind torps. Also RDF is very useful skill

Though keep in mind that even after getting to know some of these areas torps are torps and easily evaded if the enemy is even a bit competent player.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
820 posts
1,865 battles
24 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

The location is different for each map. But down the coast at Caps, is one such location. It also doesn't have to be down the coast per-say, anywhere into, or even near the cap, is a good option. Down the coast is the better option if it is available.

The Center Channel on Two Brothers is another such location, never know when an idiot is going to attempt a trench run.

When I get the time, I'll take a look at each available map, and highlight locations for a good early game blind torp salvo. At the moment, I am on the wrong computer.

Hey, that would be really appreciated.  I play Tier 7 (5-9) but anything you have I would love to see.  Please drop me a note whenever you have extra time on your hands. 

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles
4 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Thanks for your answers.

1. Every game
  2. probably between 10% and 15%
  3. Where my analysis of the starting spawns, ships lineups, and teams indicate would be the best location for a ship to headed to by the time my torps would arrive

[S0L0]
Members
1,041 posts
5,579 battles

Being a fan of the short ranged rocket propelled torpedoes, I don't have much opportunity to actually blind fire. I fire into smoke regularly, and take speculative shots around islands when I know a ship should be coming through there soon, but very rarely have the means and motive to do the strategic blind fire you are talking about.

That being said, I took my brand new Santa gifted Duca d'Acosta out last night and did have fun playing with the sea-mines. Until a green Le Terrible almost ran over them them. From behind...

Matt

Members
652 posts

Thanks for your answers.

I probably have at least one blind drop in every game I play a DD.

I was playing Fubuki earlier today and had 6 blind drops (x3 10km torps each) in three games for 3 kills for a 17% success rate.

Narrow channel entries to caps are my favorite for totally blind "make a wish" drops, but any narrow channels that multiple enemy ships appear to be moving toward are potential targets.  Even if I don't hit anything where the enemy is congregating, torps tend to mess up their plans and organization.

Other than narrow channels, I will also occasionally toss torps when I am at the end of an island if I know an enemy has gone behind it.  It's no big deal if an enemy is not around the corner, but if one is, they often charge around the corner expecting to swat a pesky DD and instead eat torps.

Edited by C14Alpha

[INTEL]
Members
1,223 posts
10,797 battles

Very often.

About 6% overall hit rate

Likely areas around caps, in front of likely movement areas for targets that havent been spotted for a while when islands are involved. In areas where a DD pretty much has to be even if he hasn't been spotted.

4 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Always deselect target before launching torps. A lot of operators relax their WASD if they aren't being targeted.

Human targets cant see that they are being targeted by torps, only with guns. I ofetn select torps long before I actually have target and leave them selected for a while after I've launched for this reason.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
820 posts
1,865 battles
3 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Very often.

About 6% overall hit rate

Likely areas around caps, in front of likely movement areas for targets that havent been spotted for a while when islands are involved. In areas where a DD pretty much has to be even if he hasn't been spotted.

Human targets cant see that they are being targeted by torps, only with guns. I ofetn select torps long before I actually have target and leave them selected for a while after I've launched for this reason.

Hold it, are you saying PT does not go up when a DD locks in with Torps?

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,514 battles
1 minute ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Correct, and the counter will drop by one if a ship switches from guns to torps while it has you locked.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
820 posts
1,865 battles
Just now, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Correct, and the counter will drop by one if a ship switches from guns to torps while it has you locked.

Thanks, Someone has to send me the WOWS handbook that explains off of this.  I had no idea.

Members
652 posts
2 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

From the WOWS Wiki

Priority Target

The detection indicator will show the number of opponents that are currently aiming at your ship with main battery guns.

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,514 battles
20 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Thanks, Someone has to send me the WOWS handbook that explains off of this.  I had no idea.

I learned from watching videos. Flamu, Flambass, Notser, or whatever your flavor of CC is, they usually are good about including little tips and tricks like this one.