Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

WV vs PEF

16 comments in this topic

Members
332 posts
6,896 battles

deciding which on to get and my main concern is how each ship uptiers were it will spend most of it's time? Is the WV's speed to much of the weakness? TIA

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
16 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

deciding which on to get and my main concern is how each ship uptiers were it will spend most of it's time?

IMO PEF should be better when botton tier. Better speed, better concelament, better armor, guns seems decently accurated. This are some "universal" traits. 

WV41 is covered by 25 mm of armor everywhere, so overmathc becomes a huge problem. Its also very slow and had worse consealment, so lacks flexibility and makes it a easy target. Guns are OK. 

But you might get PEF for free if you finish the missions. 

16 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Is the WV's speed to much of the weakness? TIA

IMO yes. The big issue with some of this slow BBs is that they lack flexibility. This make them easy targets. And they often are left behind, if your team is pushing you often too slow to keep up wiht them, if they are retreating you are often left behind. You can play around that but personally i found it boring im oftn fighting more with my own ship than the enemy team. 

[SIM]
Members
3,456 posts
5,328 battles

PEF uptiers like absolute garbage. Her guns barely work at tier VI, and tend to disappear when fighting higher tier opponents. WV’s speed is a real concern if you have trouble anticipating the progression of battle, or if you need to flex. Otherwise, her rifles are incredibly punchy and she uptiers well. I have both, and I’d recommend WV over PEF in a heartbeat.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,676 posts
8,217 battles

PEF should uptier better, played as a battlecruiser. Better able to keep with faster tier8s (still slow, but not as slow as Warspite), while its AA suite should offer some advantages too. but, if you don't want to adapt your gameplay, Warspite might suit uptiering better, its guns are very capable of dealing dmg to t8 battleships.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,714 posts

WV 41's GUNS are an even bigger drawback than it's speed.   Remember- this is a tier 7 stock hull, nerfed hard and dropped a tier.   The accuracy is terrible- like the epitome of spray and pray.   Imo, the ship is literally WG trolling us for screaming for Wee Vee so loudly and for so long.

Total buyer's remorse, here.   And I LOVED Colorado.

I'd buy PEF- at least you'll get early access to the new campaign for it- which pays out steel.  (and it can protect itself from planes- which WV 41 cannot.)

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,298 posts
12,407 battles

PEF guns are weaker by design to compensate for its other fine attributes as a tier 6 BB.  It's quite good in tier 6 Sprint and will annihilate the cruisers it sees there with it's AP.  Up-tiered into a primarily tier 8 match it will struggle to do much damage outside of HE, and unarguably worse than the WV 41.  Both ships have gaping holes in their design that keep them from being OP, which is in-line with more traditional Premium ship design.  I don't care for slow ships anymore, and get frustrated by the inability to flex, so the WV 41 is not my cup of tea - the weak pen of the PEF might be an issue for others - just buy the ship you can make work.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

I have both. I've never seen a battle between the two, but here is how it would go: The PEF would try to rush in and burn the WV down with secondaries. The inaccurate main guns would bounce and produce little damage. The WV, on the other hand, would want to keep it's distance and pummel the PEF with accurate high-caliber shots. It would be a race to kill each other. If the WV can get some early hits in, it wins. But time is on the side of the PEF as it burns the WV down.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles

I just got the PEF last night and top tier she is nice, I like her speed. However In a top tier game I was shooting AP at a Tirpitz, I understood that I needed to aim just below the deck to avoid the Tirpitz main belt. I was still only pulling down around 1200 points per salvo. AP is useless against higher tier battleships in my very limited experience. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles

I enjoy them both.

As far as uptiering goes, probably WV is your better bet.  Even Tier 8s should fear those guns.... as I’ve proved on a number of occasions.

But you can’t go wrong with either.   Just very different play styles.

• Cool 1

[O_S_D]
Members
48 posts
11,598 battles

Seeing as how there seems to be quite a few more cv's in game at tier 6 than higher tiers, I would recommend the PEF. It has very good AA for a tier 6 BB and I have not had any problems with cv's. For this reason alone I would recommend the PEF, there are so few good aa ships at tier 6.

Members
668 posts
62 battles
3 minutes ago, Tingent said:

Seeing as how there seems to be quite a few more cv's in game at tier 6 than higher tiers, I would recommend the PEF. It has very good AA for a tier 6 BB and I have not had any problems with cv's. For this reason alone I would recommend the PEF, there are so few good aa ships at tier 6.

PEF is a steaming pile of garbage. Her guns are useless - AA is her only positive. I would strongly diagree with your recommendation. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[O_S_D]
Members
48 posts
11,598 battles
1 minute ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

PEF is a steaming pile of garbage. Her guns are useless - AA is her only positive. I would strongly diagree with your recommendation.  

Well, he wanted an opinion between 2 rather 'Meh' boats.

527 posts & 62 battles, unfortunately your opinion holds very little value due to your limited playing time.

Play more, talk less, thanks for sharing.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,298 posts
12,407 battles
7 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

Yet you just agreed definitively with his main point, that the AA is strong at tier 6.  :Smile_facepalm:

It's an OK ship, about what you would expect if you got it for free and worth the dollar investment to buy since it's like buying doubloons once you win the free version through the campaign.

Members
668 posts
62 battles
Just now, Tingent said:

Well, he wanted an opinion between 2 rather 'Meh' boats.

527 posts & 62 battles, unfortunately your opinion holds very little value due to your limited playing time.

Play more, talk less, thanks for sharing.

Take my opinion or leave it. It’s a free gift.

Btw. I believe I am very well able to compare her to all other T6 BBs. Her guns are massively lacking and she greatly struggles when up against T7 and T8.  But again, what do I know

Members
668 posts
62 battles
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Yet you just agreed definitively with his main point, that the AA is strong at tier 6.  :Smile_facepalm:

It's an OK ship, about what you would expect if you got it for free and worth the dollar investment to buy since it's like buying doubloons once you win the free version through the campaign.

So you are saying because it can be obtained for free it must be bad? Ok that is a pretty stupid statement. 

(Hint: the ship should still be a) balanced against its direct competition and b) fun to play. B) isn’t true as her guns combine too many disadvantages in one single package to be fun. AA is strong but kind of secondary. It doesn’t make up for the lack of MA)

Sign in to follow this