You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Do income demographics of WoWS forumites explain spending trends any?

WoWS forumite financial picture  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your household yearly income?

• $0k-$10k
    • $10k-$20k
    • $20k-$30k
    • $30k-$40k
    • $40k-$50k
    • $50k-$60k
    • $60k-$70k
    • $70k-$80k
    • $80k-$90k
    • $90k-$100k
    • $100k+
  2. 2. If your income is $0k-$50k, how much have you spent on WoWS in total?

• <$100
    • More than $100 but less than $1k
    • $1k+
    • N/A
  3. 3. If your income is $50k-$100k, how much have you spent on WoWS in total?

• <$100
    • $1k+
    • N/A
  4. 4. If your income is $100k+, how much have you spent on WoWS in total?

• <$100
    • $1k+
    • N/A

22 comments in this topic

[NGAGE]
Members
3,107 posts
8,094 battles

I'm curious to see what sorts of demographics the forum has in terms of income and by income, how much folks spend on the game.

I think this may result in some interesting discussion because I think a lot of people who would buy the $129 bundle for 6k steel, 16k doubloons, 5 xmas crates, and some flags probably have a ton more discretionary income than a lot of folks lamenting the price. 

Members
2,837 posts
5,852 battles

I think that income is not important but where and how much  the money is being spent on .  You should break it down to a more accurate numbers like also how much spent per month, How many premium ships bought, hours played. 

What the players opinion of HOW fun the state of the game play so far.  Now..last 6 mo, 12 mo and etc. 

[NGAGE]
Members
3,107 posts
8,094 battles
Just now, dionkraft said:

I think that income is not important but where and how much  the money is being spent on .  You should break it down to a more accurate numbers like also how much spent per month, How many premium ships bought, hours played. 

What the players opinion of HOW fun the state of the game play so far.  Now..last 6 mo, 12 mo and etc. 

Realistically I doubt most players will be willing to fill out this survey let alone a more complex one.

And not to mention creating a meaningfully complex survey in the forum poll options is soul crushing :fish_sleep:

Members
2,837 posts
5,852 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

Realistically I doubt most players will be willing to fill out this survey let alone a more complex one.

And not to mention creating a meaningfully complex survey in the forum poll options is soul crushing :fish_sleep:

I think that most would not want to reveal what their household income or they will just lie. But the amount of premium ships they have, average expense per month, - then break down those numbers...how much premium time bought,  what purchases they made.  Games played per day, week, month.  Those numbers can be crunched to get a profile of what your survey captured for this small amount of players on this forum.  You never know what the response may be unless you try if you want.  Just a suggestion...

Members
1,195 posts

the household income is meaningless, its disposable income that counts.

there are plenty of people with household incomes >$40K/PA that have very little disposable income, between mortgage or rent, loans, finance, insurances, utility bills, food, travel/transport cost, etc.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
2 minutes ago, b101uk said:

there are plenty of people with household incomes >$40K/PA that have very little disposable income, between mortgage or rent, loans, finance, insurances, utility bills, food, travel/transport cost, etc.

Also, where you live makes a difference.  For example, 80K in the Midwest is much better than 80K in California.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
7 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Also, where you live makes a difference.  For example, 80K in the Midwest is much better than 80K in California.

Much much much much better.  I live in the Midwest and where I live in small town rural Ohio you can live on $50,000 (or less) a year as well or better as you can live on well over a $100,000 in Chicago where my daughter lives.

[WOLF5]
Members
31 posts
3,252 battles

It depends on how much a person willing to spend on virtual goods. Not just how much they can earn.

I know someone who only work part time, mid-low income. However, besides life essential like rent, food, electricity, every penny he got left goes into gaming.

Thats almost $400 per months on different games.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
57 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I make 0 income and have spent about $3,000 + on this game (approximation).

Hehe, a survey is only as smart as the person asking the questions … 

Trying to draw conclusions from random numbers = bean counting 

[NAB]
Members
412 posts
9,003 battles

I gotta say, the top bracket that you have for a demographic should be much higher.  100K isn't terribly high for a household income.  If one's household is only 100K, I am sure not a lot of money would be left over for discretionary things like WoWs e-ships.  300 or 400K, and now dropping 2 or 3 K on a digital game is more of a rounding error. 

Members
22,445 posts
5,792 battles
11 hours ago, b101uk said:

And it can go the other way too.

When I was single, I lived frugally, lived in a low-rent (though spacious) apartment, and drove old beaters. (my choice of neighbourhoods required no more than a 30-min. walk to work in case said beater wouldn't start)

My entertainment was divided between alcohol for weekend parties, (we rarely did the bar scene) and gaming.

I literally couldn't spend my paycheques fast enough, my bank balance increased by a few hundred dollars every month.

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
493 posts
12,176 battles

There is also context.

Some spend $2,000+ a year for cable TV, and sport packages to sit on the sofa yelling at a screen.  Others spend $2,000* a year to sit in a chair at a desk to yell at a screen.

* Includes cost of keyboard and mouse that need to be replaced after full on potato gets too much.

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles

For me personally, what is on sale affects how I spend on the game more than anything else.  Things I do value and spend money on:

-  Unique ships with unique qualities to them.  Examples include the Atlanta with its super fast firing guns, the HSF Graf Spee with its massive guns on a cruiser and T-61 with its fast loading torpedoes.

-  Interesting looking permanent camo.  The Space Camos is what I spent a bit on, also some of the Azure Lane ones.  Heck, I love the Space Camo so much that I bought the one from Zao, but I have not even started the IJN cruiser line.

-  Sale on premium time and port slots.  Which is on-going now and it is good for me.

Things I will not spend money on:

-  One-time use camo.

-  Pay-to-work campaign like the Steel on going on right now.  What do you mean I have to pay you money, THEN I have to work for the reward?

-  Loot boxes.  I used to buy them for the last 2 years because they seems pretty good value but they're becoming too much like gambling with very little value attached, so I will stop buying these going forward.  If I want a specific ship, I just buy it.  If not for sale, I'll simply not use it then.  There are more ships in my port than I have time to play anyway.

-  Additional virtual currencies.  Spend real money to buy fake money, then use fake money to buy virtual goods.  I get it.  But when there are multiple fake curries involved, it is simply too much of a hassle.  I'll buy the "gold" currency to get certain things like port slots and retain commanders, the rest of it I will not spend money on.

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

Disposable income is what matters, $70K with no kids is $125k with 2 kids. An older population with less income has more disposable income then a young family in a higher income bracket. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,540 posts
14,692 battles

FWIW, I've spent ZERO since Amazon Pay went south.  Debating my options going forward.  Also, some of the latest bundles didn't scratch my style.  

[SFOR]
Beta Testers
317 posts
6,729 battles
18 hours ago, enderland07 said:

I'm curious to see what sorts of demographics the forum has in terms of income and by income, how much folks spend on the game.

I think this may result in some interesting discussion because I think a lot of people who would buy the $129 bundle for 6k steel, 16k doubloons, 5 xmas crates, and some flags probably have a ton more discretionary income than a lot of folks lamenting the price. 

OK I am probably missing the point....what $129 dollar bundle?

[-AGW-]
Members
772 posts
10,952 battles

My disposable income is irelevant. What am I willing to spend money on and what real value do I get for it? As much as I may like a game, pixel objects are way down the list. Imaginary accomplishments only marginally higher.