Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
njroc

WOWS Woes for Mac--Workaround

10 comments in this topic

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,336 battles

For those of us playing WOWS using a Mac, shut down and restart the game after 1-2 matches to avoid timeouts and penalties for not participating.  I had to accumulate 41 penalty games in co-op before figuring this out.  Timeouts seem to also be happening for PCs so the problem is a bug that appeared in the Nov. 2018 updates.

NJroc

macmade-.gif.c6c18cbafe78a3cc3e26e7bfb4b1ae38.gif

Edited by njroc

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles

I have been playing bug free with my Mac (2009 Mac Pro still running El Capitan) for a long while. I had the same problem you are talking about. I used to think it was a graphics bug or ship rendering problem so I lowered my settings a bit. Still would have to restart game after 3 or 4 games and could not play OPs at all. They always crashed (cept Dynamo oddly enough). Anyways that is the way I played for a long bit, restart after a few games and everything was fine. What happened is I got tired of the "BATTLE STARTS" screaming into my ear at the beginning of the match, and the overly loud explosion when your ship gets sunk. I fiddled with the volume settings and got them down to where I could barely hear the battle noises and yet the two annoying noises were still loud. Out of disgust I just muted everything... Two things happened.. One is I never had another crash. I can play seemingly unlimited games with zero problems. Playing OPs, no problem. Until tonight I have had not one issue with the game. Tonight I had a graphics bug, updated my driver and things are fine. The second thing is the game is far more relaxing, I enjoy the peace and quiet. I do miss the ship horns but the rest of it, nosomuch. 

Play with muting the noises and see if that helps you out NJ. It made a huge difference for me. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,336 battles
12 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have been playing bug free with my Mac (2009 Mac Pro still running El Capitan) for a long while. I had the same problem you are talking about. I used to think it was a graphics bug or ship rendering problem so I lowered my settings a bit. Still would have to restart game after 3 or 4 games and could not play OPs at all. They always crashed (cept Dynamo oddly enough). Anyways that is the way I played for a long bit, restart after a few games and everything was fine. What happened is I got tired of the "BATTLE STARTS" screaming into my ear at the beginning of the match, and the overly loud explosion when your ship gets sunk. I fiddled with the volume settings and got them down to where I could barely hear the battle noises and yet the two annoying noises were still loud. Out of disgust I just muted everything... Two things happened.. One is I never had another crash. I can play seemingly unlimited games with zero problems. Playing OPs, no problem. Until tonight I have had not one issue with the game. Tonight I had a graphics bug, updated my driver and things are fine. The second thing is the game is far more relaxing, I enjoy the peace and quiet. I do miss the ship horns but the rest of it, nosomuch. 

Play with muting the noises and see if that helps you out NJ. It made a huge difference for me. 

Thank you for the information.  A database on work arounds is growing.  I run a second hand 2014 Mac Mini with Mojave.

NJroc

macmade-.gif.0a0b98df0c2e16233cc45d37622b6843.gif

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,336 battles

The muting of the game sounds seems to work.  The game is far more stable.  It is a bit quieter and the music is gone but the game does not crash as much.

NJroc

macmade-.gif.9f305148a961251ea49efdfe9fef6004.gif

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
9 hours ago, njroc said:

The muting of the game sounds seems to work.  The game is far more stable.  It is a bit quieter and the music is gone but the game does not crash as much.

NJroc

Play with some of the graphics settings. I dumped lots of stuff that wasn't needed like "terrain" and other pretties that have zero impact on gameplay. There was a video on YouTube on what all the graphics settings meant and followed the instructions there to optimize the game and that helped. I just can not remember what the video was called, such a long time ago. It is possible it was one of Zoup's videos but may be misremembering. 

• Cool 1

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,336 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 9:08 PM, Taylor3006 said:

Play with some of the graphics settings. I dumped lots of stuff that wasn't needed like "terrain" and other pretties that have zero impact on gameplay. There was a video on YouTube on what all the graphics settings meant and followed the instructions there to optimize the game and that helped. I just can not remember what the video was called, such a long time ago. It is possible it was one of Zoup's videos but may be misremembering. 

I have been doing more experimental play with WOWS on a Mac.  I have dropped graphics to minimum.  I have set the Mac to Direct 11x as per the PSA announcement made a few weeks back.  The Audio settings seem to be an issue since they were set to maximum.  I have not tested all the settings but I have found that I can get ply at Tiers 1-4 for about 4 matches before I need to shut the game down and restart it. If I do not do this, the game freezes all by itself.   Above Tier 4, I play 2 matches max at Tier 5-6 before shutdown and restart of game.  Tier 7-8, just one game before shutdown and restart.  In each case, I vary the audio setting from zero to 50 percent (0%-50%).  This is what helps regain some stability at Tier 1-4 (4-5 matches) before freezing at match start.

Since accruing 1-3 penalties co-op games for each program crash,  I have to work myself out of the 29 or so penalties before I can try random, ranked, etc. in a test mode.  I did not deliberately accrue the penalties but WG will not lift them nor give me back the 10 or so Dragon, 10 or so Scytia, or 10 or so Sierra Mike flags that I have lost while troubleshooting the game.  Oh well.  I can get the Sierra Mikes back using coal.

Version 7.12 is not Mac friendly at the moment and I suspect Code Weavers may have to update the Mac Wrapper V.21.  WOWS has added submarines, ships, awards like snowflakes, the Arsenal, an other items that were not envisioned when V21 came out.  I would not surprise if the CV rework makes the game unplayable.

I am not bothered by the low tier play since I am not a Unicom type player.  I have never tried Tier 9 or 10 play and the Tier 8s I have are premiums or (in one case) a gift.  In any event, Macs were NEVER MEANT to play WOWS.  That it does with stock electronics and software is a testament to the creative nature of Apple Computer and Code Weavers with their mission of cross platform capability.

If WG was interested in a Mac version of their game, they could take WOWS Bliz and modify it since MACs have a good deal of common traits with the IPhones that Blitz was designed for.  In the meantime, I continue to experiment and stay at or below Tier 6.

NJroc

macmade-.gif.4e14a1f6b93811298e31a97d8b9aefd4.gif

Edited by njroc
Typos

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,336 battles
On 12/21/2018 at 9:08 PM, Taylor3006 said:

After more testing, I have determined that Mac users need to shut down the game after each and every match in order to avoid collecting penalty co-op matches because the game crashed leaving the player marked as a non-participant.  WOWS IS BROKEN as of Update 7.12.

NJroc

macmade-.gif.4e14a1f6b93811298e31a97d8b9aefd4.gif

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
56 minutes ago, njroc said:

After more testing, I have determined that Mac users need to shut down the game after each and every match in order to avoid collecting penalty co-op matches because the game crashed leaving the player marked as a non-participant.  WOWS IS BROKEN as of Update 7.12.

I think it may be your machine. Things are still running fantastic for me but I am running a Mac Pro. She came with a quad core processor and have upgraded my graphics card to a NVIDA GeForce and installed a SSD drive. Those really made a huge difference in the game for me. What worries me in the long term in RAM, am maxed out so if they bump the requirements much, I am boned. 

• Cool 1

[M-O-M]
Members
165 posts
5,336 battles
17 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I think it may be your machine. Things are still running fantastic for me but I am running a Mac Pro. She came with a quad core processor and have upgraded my graphics card to a NVIDA GeForce and installed a SSD drive. Those really made a huge difference in the game for me. What worries me in the long term in RAM, am maxed out so if they bump the requirements much, I am boned. 

I am running a 1.4 GHZ Intel Core I5 with 4 gig of ram.  My weak spot going forth is the 4 RAM--I should boost it to 8 gig Ram.  I have noted the refresh rate from the server was slow before each of the crashes--a whopping 5.5 seconds or 5,500 ms !  I am on a satellite based server since BroadBand is restricted to the cities.  This is more a contributor than the CPU.

I have been shutting down the game after each match and I have not been having issues.  It is a software/server issue but not one that affects every mac.

NJRoc

macmade-.gif.c92b5ec2fc5b8621b27a97f07ea6438c.gif

[WORX]
Members
3,422 posts
14,785 battles

WOWS on a MAC is like running an ATL with a 10pt cpt. Yes you can play the game but they're to many factors against you, Its still dangerous but we love o play.

Any mac running only 4 gigs of ram memory is definitely not going to survive the necessary upgrades for 2019(Some MAC you can't upgrade the MEMORY at all because its soldered to the motherboard). It sucks but we may need to replace our 4 gig memory MACS. Its so bad now you can;t play any games in the Ninjakiwi platform. It needs more then 4 GB to participate.

So what are your options ? Seriously, get a PC with at least

• 8GB (short term solution) or
  • 16GB and up (Long term solution).
  • An i7 core CPU 
  • GPU 1060GTX (short term solution) or
  • GPU 1080 GTX (long term solution)
  • good storage

MACS are good for working applications but man for gaming, they're really dropping the ball IMO. 

GL/HF

Sign in to follow this