Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

I'm pink.

46 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

o5blJLr.jpg

So I am pink for three battles.

Disclaimer: I don't mind being pink. It's not a penalty. I don't lose out on anything. It's just a warning. I know why I got the pink, I'm not trying to appeal against the pink, I will just work it off and be on my way.

Why this thread then?

I earned the pink when - after I pressed the battle button and was waiting in the queueueueueue, my internet went into maintenance. So I never loaded into the battle, and received an 'AFK' pink. Did I deserve it? Doesn't matter. This is the way the rules work, and I accept that.

Again, I don't mind the pink, I'm just going to work it off, and that's that. But I might suggest a small change to the way this 'AFK' pink is handed out:

I never loaded into the battle. This, to me, is a different situation than loading into a battle and not actively participating - actual AFK.

It might be worth having the game make a check to see if a client is actually still connected when the MM assigns a player to a match. It could be as simple as sending a ping to the client and only assigning them to a battle if said ping returns a pong - that way the server knows that the client at least is still connected and functional. If a client doesn't give a signal back, the server can drop them out of the queueueueue instead of assigning them to a battle. This would be more fair to the other 11 players on the green team, that in my case now had to deal with me not having even loaded into the match.

TL;DR: Have the server make a check when assigning a player to a match; if there's no ping response, grab someone else.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[RLGN]
Members
10,098 posts
19,494 battles

Dang Lert; sorry to hear someone caught you and dyed all your glossy black fur pink.

Did they use, flat, glossy, or metallic pink? :Smile_hiding:

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Did they use, flat, glossy, or metallic pink? :Smile_hiding:

Yes.

• Funny 1

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,252 posts
7,214 battles

I got secret footage of Lert. Don't share this with him~

pink-cat-art-3771-bb-james-ahn.thumb.jpg.a89818c0ab1bbbd9cd869ae50ea83b9c.jpg

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,869 posts
6,427 battles

Who suffers when your account is in a battle but not participating?  The 23 other players.  This is why it does not matter whether it is actually your fault or your ISP's.  It is punished equally, and incentive to fix whatever problem (ISP or inattentiveness) you have, because those affect the other players equally.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles
Just now, GE_Capital said:

Who suffers when your account is in a battle but not participating?  The 23 other players.  This is why it does not matter whether it is actually your fault or your ISP's.  It is punished equally, and incentive to fix whatever problem (ISP or inattentiveness) you have, because those affect the other players equally.

I am aware. Which is why I don't mind being pink, and my suggestion was to avoid the server putting people who's client is non responsive in the match with those other people.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,533 posts
14,672 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

.....my internet went into maintenance.....

That's OK Lert, we all have ID from time to time....especially when you're a "cat".

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,869 posts
6,427 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

I am aware. Which is why I don't mind being pink, and my suggestion was to avoid the server putting people who's client is non responsive in the match with those other people.

Misread it then.  Not a bad idea.  Though, I'm curious whether an extra step in the process would add more strain onto the already-precarious client.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,050 posts
16,036 battles

The bigger question are you tickled pink?

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles
Just now, GE_Capital said:

Misread it then.  Not a bad idea.  Though, I'm curious whether an extra step in the process would add more strain onto the already-precarious client.

A tiny bit, yes. But, honestly, if 'Hey, I got a request to send a single packet' is too much for the client to handle, WG has bigger problems. It might cause some delay for MM, having to poll 24 players and receive a response from all of them but honestly, that shouldn't be more than a second or two at the most.

[FML]
Members
2,480 posts
11,921 battles
28 minutes ago, Lert said:

So I am pink for three battles.

Thank you for supporting breast cancer awareness!!

Edit: Doh, ninjaed!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,379 posts
15,161 battles

@GE_Capital there are some ISP woes that the end user has no control over nor foreknowledge of. A service interruption by the provider for whatever reason or in my case this nursing homes IT personnel turning off the residents wifi router for example. 

@Lert Excellent Idea I hope WG will consider that.

Members
1,195 posts

In PvE games there is a huge surge in pink players, I have seen more people blow them self up to reflected damage in the past 24h than in the prior 9 months.

[WOLF9]
Members
797 posts
5,861 battles

"A tiny bit, yes. But, honestly, if 'Hey, I got a request to send a single packet' is too much for the client to handle, WG has bigger problems. It might cause some delay for MM, having to poll 24 players and receive a response from all of them but honestly, that shouldn't be more than a second or two at the most.."

Orange you glad it wasn't worse?:Smile_hiding:

Edited by Curly__san
  • Funny 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
1 post
5,426 battles

I just got pinked because WOWS crashed and took my system with it.  By the time everything came back up the battle was over and the warning was waiting on me.  Nice little insult to injury.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,497 posts
4,398 battles
5 minutes ago, b101uk said:

In PvE games there is a huge surge in pink players, I have seen more people blow them self up to reflected damage in the past 24h than in the prior 9 months.

Most likely because of a game crashing issue with the Steam version of the game and the 0.7.12 update. Apparently, a lot of Steam based players had their game crash while loading into a match, after updating the game. I was one of them, and ended up with 4 matches worth of pink status day before yesterday. Thankfully, it was fixed very quick, so I was able to work it off yesterday. 

Edited by Blorgh2017

[WOLF9]
Members
8,823 posts
4,180 battles
31 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Dang Lert; sorry to hear someone caught you and dyed all your glossy black fur pink.

I think someone shaved him and found pink cat skin underneath.

[ABCD3]
Members
187 posts
5,868 battles

Better a pink ship than getting a pink eye.  Then you are in serious trouble

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,215 posts
5,381 battles

Oddly, today, I had a match where it started to load me in, but never did.  My division mate reported he got sunk, and I was still at loading screen.  I did the alt ctrl delete and restarted the game to try to get in the match before it ended (it was coop as we were knocking off snowflakes).  The match ended before I got back in.  I got 0xp.  Here is the odd thing, I didn't get a warning either, nor did I turn pink.  Perhaps it never really connected me to the match in the first place?  Six matches after had no issue.

Sign in to follow this