You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

What do we know about the new version of AA coming?

18 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Members
1,626 posts
9,122 battles

Having not been involved int he testing, what do we know about what the new reworked AA will be like?
( not CV or Planes.. just AA talk plz.. thnx)

[_-_]
Members
1,743 posts

Be interesting to see some specifics. My inner cynic tells me it will be intentionally tuned to "enhance the new CV player experience". In other words, everybody is just targets.

[SBS]
Members
3,782 posts
2,408 battles

Defensive fire consumable no longer causes panic, long range AA is flack burst (not unlike HE shell splash damage), mid and short ranged AA is a low but constant damage aura.  Generally speaking AA is balanced to be effective with overlapping AA protection, when on your own its much less effective.  Captain skills and modules have been changed but I don't know all the details and I don't want to post incorrect info on here.  I'm sure someone can dig them up. 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
398 posts
3,251 battles

Well, I wish I had more time to run an AA-build during the last test.  My Worcester currently has a maxed-out AA configuration, and I'm itching to find out how she does after the new CV mechanics go live.  But, I also have the feeling that AA would be nerfed just to get the CV population up.

Members
685 posts
5,656 battles
36 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Well, I wish I had more time to run an AA-build during the last test.  My Worcester currently has a maxed-out AA configuration, and I'm itching to find out how she does after the new CV mechanics go live.  But, I also have the feeling that AA would be nerfed just to get the CV population up.

Wooster is no longer a ~16km diameter death bubble for planes.

It is still very effective.

unknown-252.png

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,466 posts
9,458 battles
25 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Wooster is no longer a ~16km diameter death bubble for planes.

It is still very effective.

unknown-252.png

I'm itching to buy it just to play with that aegis bubble before it's busted forever, but i only have enough credits for conqueror...

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
7,734 battles

i've been asking that questions on other threads for a while and no one seem to have an answer to that, really. 

but from what i have seen so far....basically...ships with AA def will just open fire on when plans come in to the airspace...and the skys above you would turn in to a puff of black smoke.  

i use a primary targeting when dealin with planes...however, i don't know if that would make diff any more...do to all AAs may be just Auto fire(from what ive been told).  

however under observation....a sqdr of planes (before rework) would be able to make one round of atk ...or not at all.  in the rework, a sqdr of planes, under heavy AA fire,  manage at least 2 atk runs before returning to carrier or get all shot down.   idk about yall...but that is  BIG diff....

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,982 posts
2,417 battles
29 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

i've been asking that questions on other threads for a while and no one seem to have an answer to that, really. 

but from what i have seen so far....basically...ships with AA def will just open fire on when plans come in to the airspace...and the skys above you would turn in to a puff of black smoke.  

i use a primary targeting when dealin with planes...however, i don't know if that would make diff any more...do to all AAs may be just Auto fire(from what ive been told).  

however under observation....a sqdr of planes (before rework) would be able to make one round of atk ...or not at all.  in the rework, a sqdr of planes, under heavy AA fire,  manage at least 2 atk runs before returning to carrier or get all shot down.   idk about yall...but that is  BIG diff....

Remember that in the Rework, instead of ONE massive alpha drop, you have to make an attack pass/run of 2-3 planes at a time from the squadron with bombs/torpedoes that are more or less same damage (PER torpedo/bomb) as before. You give up a massive alpha potential for a damage over time burst that is affected by the casualties your squadron suffered at same time. For a Ranger, getting in two attack runs from one squadron mean you got to *drop* four torpedoes for the torpedo bombers. Nevermind that whenever you got a hit with those four torpedoes at all.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,899 posts
10,901 battles

As others have stated, short and medium AA is constant damage while in range. Not that different from how they work now in appearance, even if the mechanics are different. There are various things a CV can equip or learn to reduce the effectiveness of short and medium range AA guns. 

Long range AA guns put flak bursts in the direction of nearby aircraft, the puff ball hangs around for a little bit, then fades, at any time while it's there, any aircraft that flies though it takes a lot of damage. If a burst happens to pop up in the middle of a flight of aircraft, all the aircraft basically get trashed. In theory, they can be flown around and dodged. In practice, RNGsus is just as likely to leave a straight path to target as he is just to one shot incoming aircraft, so your luck may vary.

AA can be set to be stronger on one side and weaker on the another, other than cool downs and WASD hacking that's the only interaction you have with aircraft, you can no longer target aircraft. I could not tell the difference if my AA was focused to a side or not as to it's effectiveness.  I saw no way of re-centering it manually, it will recenter itself after some time.

From someone that was attacking ships with aircraft,  solo AA is unimpressive for most ships, but for some reason stacking any 3 ships together (even DD's) makes them just about invulnerable in at least the mid tiers.

There's a couple skills, a flag and probably upgrades for improving AA and how fast the AA shifts from balanced to port or starboard side, I didn't mess with it much on the test, and don't remember the details.

Same old rules generally apply, turn into torpedo bombers, don't wait to see the torpedoes in the water and go broadside to dive bombers. Rocket planes it doesn't matter much, the attack area fairly forgiving. Torpedo bombers also have a stupidly long arming range, turning into them has a good chance of preventing them from arming, as a CV player is going to try and drop their torps as close to the target as possible to maximize the chance of hitting.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
9,803 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

As others have stated, short and medium AA is constant damage while in range. Not that different from how they work now in appearance, even if the mechanics are different. There are various things a CV can equip or learn to reduce the effectiveness of short and medium range AA guns. 

Thank you for this.  

Beta Testers
1,571 posts
7,920 battles

I spent a good deal of time looking at the displayed AA stats during the public test.

First, the major differences:

1)  AA short/med/long range aura is much more than simply range.  Long and Medium range cause flak bursts (maybe only long, am unsure), which if you run into do MASSIVE damage to all the planes in the squad.  In port, there was a stat called "gap", which was higher for faster firing weapons.  What it does though we can only speculate.  Short range AA is more or less guaranteed damage, making the squad take DoT like damage while it's in the aura, one plane at a time.

2) AA skills no longer affect range.  They only modify damage.  All AA weapons had their ranges adjusted as well, but nothing broke the 7km mark.

3) AA sectors exist.  By holding O (or whatever you bind it to), you can select either port or starboard.   Setting a sector buffs the AA intensity on that side, and penalizes the other side by an equal amount.  Each class has a different amount of time it takes to switch from neutral to a side, as well as from one side to another.  For example, a DD might take ~4 seconds to switch from one side to another, and gain +/-30% AA effectiveness.  A CV takes 30... but gains 60% or so.  Those numbers may change with balance, but in general bigger ships take longer to switch but get more benefits.  AA skills can also reduce switching time and improve the bonus for setting a sector.

Now, for the other stuff:

1)  AA guns in port had a hit rate stat that was 80% for all short, medium and long range AA.  Perhaps this is WG's way of adding minor RNG.  I couldn't notice it as a CV however.

2)  AA requires line of sight, and line of sight can be blocked by terrain.

3)  Flak bursts don't aim directly at you, so you can't really actively dodge it.  Preemptively dodging seemed to be the way to go, though for TB runs sometimes you'll just have to eat the damage.  From the target POV, this made TB runs really easy to dodge.

4)  There is no target firing on squads.  That was a hard habit to break.  On the other hand there's usually only going to be one squad attacking you at a time so it's not too big of a deal.

5)  The long range/short range dynamic will be a BIG part in which ships are good at AA, and it's hard to say how it'll play out till it hits live.  Short range (looking at you, mid tier USN) gets a boost since the CV needs to make more runs, and it's guaranteed damage.  On the other hand, even with severely nerfed range, long range flak can soften the entire squad with one good hit, so Gneis and Atlanta will probably still command respect.  Fly into an overlapping bubble and no amount of wiggle can stop you from eating flak.  Boost through it all and it's unlikely you can line up an attack.  Note:  that can totally change depending on how WG tweaks the balance numbers, but conceptually that's how it is supposed to work I think.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
1,626 posts
9,122 battles
20 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

First, the major differences

thanx for the feedback

Do all ships now have AA?

Do the ships that had "great AA" still have that? etc?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,899 posts
10,901 battles
26 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

thanx for the feedback

Do all ships now have AA?

Do the ships that had "great AA" still have that? etc?

All ships in the test had AA, but that only covered US and Japanese ships tiers 4, 6, 8, and 10, with a few samples from other nations. Hanging out over tier 4 DD's wasn't massively dangerous, but you could lose aircraft.

In general, if a ship has good AA on live right now, by the numbers it had good AA on the test. Actual effectiveness was hard to correlate due to the nature of the testing and the RNG. 

Beta Testers
1,571 posts
7,920 battles
50 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

All ships in the test had AA, but that only covered US and Japanese ships tiers 4, 6, 8, and 10, with a few samples from other nations. Hanging out over tier 4 DD's wasn't massively dangerous, but you could lose aircraft.

In general, if a ship has good AA on live right now, by the numbers it had good AA on the test. Actual effectiveness was hard to correlate due to the nature of the testing and the RNG. 

Pretty much this, though in test 3 they had surface ships from every nation.  From what I could tell just looking at the numbers, cruisers haven't changed much in relative effectiveness.  BBs are probably in a similar spot, although the mid tier Germans are probably going to lose a lot of their AA power since that came from buffing the 128s or 105s through the roof with captain skills.

I really wish I screenshotted the rebalanced ranged on the guns.  All I remember is that the Bofors came out of it pretty good, and the IJN 25mm managed to retain it's utter averageness. 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles
On 12/20/2018 at 6:59 PM, Crokodone said:

I'm itching to buy it just to play with that aegis bubble before it's busted forever, but i only have enough credits for conqueror...

Worcester's AA is nuts in the current game.  The funny part is when a poor sap of a Tier VIII CV finds its way into your game.

The scary part about her AA is that a CV could have its bombers deep into your AA range.  With your AA turned off, you let them fly in far into your AA and then go nuts on the planes.  The CV won't even spot you until it's way too late.  You then watch the pretty fireworks as the sparkles (planes) fall out of the sky.

Her low detection from the air is a big reason why she's so dangerous to aircraft.  The long range and high DPS, Defensive Fire feed off that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,466 posts
9,458 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Worcester's AA is nuts in the current game.  The funny part is when a poor sap of a Tier VIII CV finds its way into your game.

The scary part about her AA is that a CV could have its bombers deep into your AA range.  With your AA turned off, you let them fly in far into your AA and then go nuts on the planes.  The CV won't even spot you until it's way too late.  You then watch the pretty fireworks as the sparkles (planes) fall out of the sky.

Her low detection from the air is a big reason why she's so dangerous to aircraft.  The long range and high DPS, Defensive Fire feed off that.

Haha, this is why wg keeps cvs out of aa cruiser games! I couldn't buy to get into one with my Atlanta. Even with Seattle, CVs eere nowhere to be seen; until i got into my Hsienyang or Monatch, then they were everywhere....

[TBOW]
Members
1,718 posts
12,109 battles

From someone who did participate in the testing.  I ran both regular ships and CVs.   You have the ability to adjust your Aura for starters you can lean your AA to 1 side of the ship or the other.  Which increases the effectiveness of the side selected to like 120% I think.

4 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Haha, this is why wg keeps cvs out of aa cruiser games! I couldn't buy to get into one with my Atlanta. Even with Seattle, CVs eere nowhere to be seen; until i got into my Hsienyang or Monatch, then they were everywhere....

Div up with a CV, that will get you into a CV match with whatever ship you want to take.  Myself included if I am playing would much rather take a CV fishing Division along (heavy AA ships) then go by oneself.