You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Salem or Jean Bart?

55 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
8,729 posts
4,131 battles

I will have enough Coal to exchange for one of them on the current coupon.  So which one?  I have no premium ship above T6 and no T10.

• Salem - I run all the USN cruisers and she could be my trainer.
  • Jean Bart - I do enjoy Richelieu and am very close to unlocking Alsace.  Would he work as a French cruiser captain trainer?

At first I leaned to JB.  Now I'm leaning to the Witch.  What say you?

P.S.  I play mostly Scenarios and Co-op.

Edited by iDuckman

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,154 battles

JB is more frustrating to get working consistently due to the guns, but this is counterbalanced by hilarious meme deletions from unexpected flanks.

Salem is a discount legendary DM.  If played well you are far more adaptable than the JB at damage output because it's still a DM, but at the risk of getting instantly deleted if you're not careful.

JB is reasonably squishy but it's still a BB.  It's also T9, though it makes more credits than the Salem it seems.  While it's more expensive relatively, it's also at greater risk than the Salem of being discontinued due to the potential of the MBRB in my opinion.  Salem is milquetoast right now, so I don't see it really going away soon.

Both have strong AA so I don't think either will be OP or terrible in 8.0 on the balance.

[UEFN]
Members
790 posts
15,303 battles

Neither, both of them are trash bote not worth spending coals on.   Get DM over Salem, and Alsace is just as much fun if not better than Jeans Fart.

• Funny 2
  • Bad 7

Members
1,178 posts

if you play co-op a lot, Salem is very cheap running, due to the 90k base service cost and the -50% to the service cost for the camo, which brings its down to ~45k per match.

cant comment on JB as I don't have it, but tier IX premium BB is workable in co-op to make money most of the time.

if you play co-op, Alsace can be a bit of a pig to make money with even with a premium camo and flags (unlike other tire IX tech tree BB's which seam to get more money from doing less)

[WOLF9]
Members
8,729 posts
4,131 battles
4 minutes ago, b101uk said:

if you play co-op a lot, Salem is very cheap running, due to the 90k base service cost and the -50% to the service cost for the camo, which brings its down to ~45k per match.

That was a consideration I didn't mention.  I hear Salem is non-money loser.  Haven't heard whether JB is any better or worse.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,697 posts

Well, I didn't get along with Richie at all.   Mainly because I play in Co-op, and it's gun arrangement really doesn't lend itself to that mode.   With all the great reviews, I'm sorely tempted, though.  That main battery reload booster could come in right handy.

Salem otoh, is my immediate goal for my coal earnings.  I have DM, and love it!   Few things are as fun as having cruiser broadsides to shoot at with those rapid fire 8" guns!!  Citadels for days!   BB's don't enjoy what DM is capable of dishing out either...   Those 3" AA cannons tear planes UP- and will only increase in importance after the CV reboot.  So, having a second one in my port?  YES, please!   More first win bonii for my 19 point captain.

I'm also very interested in both upcoming USN cruisers.  Alaska and Wichita.   Got my free xp all ready and waiting!

[JAV]
Beta Testers
281 posts
7,999 battles

Still trying to decide this myself. I love the Richelieu and seeing how powerful the Jean Bart is makes it my front runner. The Salem is a cruiser and that is my favorite class of ship but I have DM and it is Meh to me, but it is tier 10 and you can never have to few of them.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,729 posts
4,131 battles
4 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I'm also very interested in both upcoming USN cruisers.  Alaska and Wichita.   Got my free xp all ready and waiting!

Oh, that's a good point.  I'm all set for Alaska, though I won't be buying immediately.  That would give me two USN premium CRs at high tier. 

(Actually, might be more interested in Wichita, though I've heard little about her recently.)

Edited by iDuckman

[LOU1]
Members
3,559 posts
9,429 battles
17 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

That was a consideration I didn't mention.  I hear Salem is non-money loser.  Haven't heard whether JB is any better or worse.

With the PvE discount, it is even lower.  It is around 30k.  When I run other camos, it is around 64k.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,729 posts
4,131 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse rates them thusly:

• Salem - Mehbote, with a Challenging floor.  Her review is heavily colored by the WItch's then-lousy economy.
  • Jean Bart - Gudbote, with a Casual floor.  I note that the rating in her summary post is 'Overpowered' though that may have been before the late MB nerf.

Mouse, do you have an opinion here?  How is JB as an earner?

[LOU1]
Members
3,559 posts
9,429 battles

Just ran a PvE battle with Salem.  keep in mind I ran a bunch of economic flags:

Salem, multiple Special Flags, perma-camo, 228k silver (190k net), 2.9k XP, 6.9 Elite XP, on 77k damage 30k Service cost, 1st battle screen:

Spoiler

qglocfz.jpg

Salem, multiple Special Flags, perma-camo, 228k silver, 2.9k XP, 6.9 Elite XP, on 77k damage, 2nd battle screen:

Spoiler

8Og8ncI.jpg

Salem, multiple Special Flags, perma-camo, 228k silver, 2.9k XP, 6.9 Elite XP, on 77k damage, 3rd battle screen:

Spoiler

tuVLn5d.jpg

Salem, multiple Special Flags, perma-camo, 228k silver, 2.9k XP, 6.9 Elite XP, on 77k damage, 4th (economic) battle screen, 190k net silver:

Spoiler

rnadk4Y.jpg

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,525 posts
12,265 battles

Jean Bart is the better choice the forward gun arrangement works well in co-op since enemy bots just frontally charge, plus you can can train up operations french captains like a Normandie capt for those tier 6 operations, a Richelieu capt for op hermes and a lyon captain for those tier 7 ops.

I don't know about the Salem i heard that you're better off with with Des Moines same reason why I got the Jean Bart with coal over the Musashi.

[PSV]
[PSV]
Members
325 posts
8,330 battles

I would say neither, save your coal for something better..

Members
723 posts
8,775 battles

Both of them are very good at combat, I have them both and I know how to use them.
JB, on one hand, she has absurd gun reloading with the MBRB consumable, play it the same as Richelieu and you'll be going to be fine.

Spoiler

image.png.b7cb7587695f692da607befef07ca59d.png

On the other hand, Salem still plays like a Des Moines (but lesser in other stuff like AAs and such)
But the gimmick on this one when he gets damaged by HE shells (and flood), she can get heal/repair those damages back like it was nothing

Spoiler

image.png.bf54d78fdd5317b6a7ab4cbc352f8f6f.png

Like a Minotaur

And in my conclusion, they both worth their coal but you can still keep that coal and wait for another premium ships that are going to be in the arsenal

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,505 posts
11,582 battles

I got the Salem a few months ago, she's a very nice ship!:fish_aqua:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,135 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I will have enough Coal to exchange for one of them on the current coupon.  So which one?  I have no premium ship above T6 and no T10.

• Salem - I run all the USN cruisers and she could be my trainer.
  • Jean Bart - I do enjoy Richelieu and am very close to unlocking Alsace.  Would he work as a French cruiser captain trainer?

At first I leaned to JB.  Now I'm leaning to the Witch.  What say you?

P.S.  I play mostly Scenarios and Co-op.

iDuck, listen to Explorator. His advice is superb and I am grateful for his knowledge and insight. I too was wondering about Salem. I play mostly co-op but love cruisers. Just did not want to lose so many credits with a tier 10 so was kinda on the fence about the ship. He helped me out with real information so I took the plunge.... 

I have never been happier with a ship. Makes credits in every game, not quite Missouri levels, but I never lose a credit even with no premium time or flags. The ship itself is great fun, I enjoy playing it and have far more games in her than in the Des Moines. I have zero buyer's remorse. IMHO if you like cruisers AND you play co-op, she is a must have. 

BTW I don't have the French BB so have no clue about her. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 3

[TIMT]
Supertester
526 posts

For what your looking for, Salem is the way to go.  It's more of a fun ship to play all around.  And it's forgiving while putting fire down range at the same time.

[SIM]
Members
3,407 posts
5,241 battles

Salem is by far my preferred ship between the too. More exciting to play, more risk/reward, and she fights like hell. Jean Bart is...a battleship. A good battleship, but she’s in a crowded pool with other rock star BBs like Missouri and Musashi. 

[WOLF9]
Members
8,729 posts
4,131 battles

image.png.bf54d78fdd5317b6a7ab4cbc352f8f

Are you kidding me ??   I need that every fg game.  And here I was leaning back toward JB.

5 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

iDuck, listen to Explorator. His advice is superb and I am grateful for his knowledge and insight.

IME, he does give good advice.  I am less than 1000 Coal from Salem.  The urge to use the coupon is almost overwhelming.  Little voices keep whispering to let the ships go and hoard the Coal.  I ask the voices, "In anticipation of what?"  I amm waiting to hear back.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,135 battles
11 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

IME, he does give good advice.  I am less than 1000 Coal from Salem.  The urge to use the coupon is almost overwhelming.  Little voices keep whispering to let the ships go and hoard the Coal.  I ask the voices, "In anticipation of what?"  I amm waiting to hear back.

I used my coupon for her and it tells me that I will get a new coupon on the 24th Dec coming up. If you haven't used yours, will it renew then as well?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,922 posts
8,379 battles
12 hours ago, iDuckman said:

@LittleWhiteMouse rates them thusly:

• Salem - Mehbote, with a Challenging floor.  Her review is heavily colored by the WItch's then-lousy economy.
  • Jean Bart - Gudbote, with a Casual floor.  I note that the rating in her summary post is 'Overpowered' though that may have been before the late MB nerf.

Mouse, do you have an opinion here?  How is JB as an earner?

Jean Bart is the better boat, hands down, game play wise.  I just got Salem with patch 0.7.12 so I'll be rechecking her economy.  I really should make a comprehensive table for all of this.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,118 posts
6,607 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I just got Salem with patch 0.7.12 so I'll be rechecking her economy. 

That would be really nice. I'm leaning to her for the same reason. Mind you, I can take Musashi into a co-op game and come out in the black unless I do really poorly, so if Jean Bart is anything like that she's worth a look... but there are certain things a Tier 9 boat can't do, and Salem's absurdly cheap service costs at that tier make her an attractive proposition if I want a ship of my own I can take to Clan battles (or tier 10 in Ranked, if we ever get the standard format back again).

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles

Consistent with what a couple of others have noted the Salem is a ball to play. I only play PvE and it is a blast in that battle mode and is, truthfully, a far better boat than I am as a player. It has excellent HE for mid-distance battles and surprisingly good AP when you have a chance to charge a broadsiding bot BB at knife-fight in a telephone booth ranges. I am amazed how well it can brawl with bots (and probably bots only). Its AA also melts plane attacks.

(I do not have the JB so cannot comment on that)