You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Heavy Cruisers

10 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,380 posts
7,851 battles

Image result for heavy cruisers

*pictured - German Kreigsmarine Deutschland (later renamed Lutzow) in port at Wilhelmshaven in 1936*

Which heavy cruiser poses the biggest threat to you and your team?

Heavy cruisers can not only be a big problem for other cruisers, but can lay punishing gunfire to battleships and destroyers.

In addition, they can mount deadly anti-aircraft firepower or serve as a platform for detecting hidden destroyers or incoming torpedoes as well.

When the silhouette you spot on the horizon turns out to be a heavy cruiser, which one sends your crew to action stations immediately?

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." - Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy

#threatassessmentthursday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
727 posts
2,066 battles

In order: Stalingrad (as much because the captain's going to have skill)...Kron/Moskva, then Zao, then maybe Hindy and Henri.  I main Khaba these days and other cruisers are food, unless something forces me to approach a CA in area denial mode with land or smoke protecting it.  In fact I'll change my answer. The worst CA to fight is any CA with a friendly DD providing smoke cover. 

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,657 posts
19,522 battles

I had noted in CB that the reds seem to prioritize the Zao when I'm driving it. I got chased all the way to the north border by 5 ships yesterday. The DM and Donskoi are 2 ships I hate to face if if I'm in a BB.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,294 posts
20,306 battles

The tiers I normally play...

...now that I think about it, none of them.

Furutaka, Pensacola and New Orleans can be dangerous if well run, and Yorck, but I don’t worry about them that much. Spee may be a ‘heavy cruiser,’ but I don’t worry much about it either. The CLs all worry me more.

Above that I don’t care(*) because I don’t play high tiers much.

(*) My only ‘opinion’ with regards to the threat of high tier cruisers is clouded by hatered for all the paper fantasies that were never real steel, and is therefore hardly useful here.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
1,913 posts
12,382 battles

When Atago is top tier, man, look out. Ditto for Kirov and Charles Martel, but Atago is still king. Atago is extremely versatile, and can play many roles, often switching roles as the game dictates. A well played Atago should be a nightmare for the opposing team.

That said, Zao may be the best cruiser in the game.

• Cool 2

Members
63 posts
8,447 battles

Any of them, especially the American ones, that can hide behind the island and lob shells and not get hit in return. Those are the ones I hate.  Anything else, as long as my shells can get to, are fair game. And not a problem for me. 

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

anything that i know can nuke me in my own CA, or hurt me in my BB

generally not afraid of too many CAs as all they need to do is show a wee bit of side to my BB guns

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Way I see it, any heavy cruiser shy of tier 9/10 isn't going to have the necessary rate of fire or DPM to be a credible threat to a team.

[RC_MP]
[RC_MP]
Members
504 posts
15,144 battles

DM, because ridding the field of radar stations helps my DDs do their job.

Same goes for Moskva and Stalingrads, though they take much more firepower to bring down.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,336 battles

As A BB main, things like Atlanta, Myoko, Chappy, basically anything with good HE and/or good arcs. Flint as well, because I know that player's gonna have some skill.