You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
khaenn35

On the Prinz Eithel Friedrich Campaigns.

28 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
20,147 posts
6,036 battles

Weegee, what the [edited].

Just what the genuine [edited]. 

Before starting on the full-on rant I should note some things. I am a full-on F2P (short of a single small purchase for the Cossack mission), I am a very avid WOWS player of average skill (not 10k-battles avid, but avid enough to get the two T9 Prem Battleships and possibly the Krons with no cheatsies in Doubloon conversion), and I do appreciate the free things that WG have given and I have shown distaste for those complaining about the free gifts. 

As we have seen, the P.E.F campaign in general has some very [edited] limits, especially so for the last directive of the Campaign. You are given 12 days to finish the P.E.F missions before the free T6 campaign and the Steel campaign together. Among these, the P.E.F missions require you to grind 4 million credits for different nations *each*, for an unspecific number of nations, and the Steel Campaigns requires the use of only the P.E.F. 

Let's put this into perspective. 

-The 12 days take place in full likelihood between Jan 10 to Jan 22. These are in the start of Working Periods and School: the latter being very important here. They are the days where people are very likely to be busy, especially the F2Ps that you are targetting with these campaigns (Students with little or nothing to pay with). This forces students to either play during these days to incredible amounts of stress... or just not at all. Worse still, these campaigns from my understanding are meant to take advantage of the end-of-year holidays, to give a boost in player numbers by encouraging players to play more during the holidays (letting them invest resources into WoWs and making it their primary dedicated game)... yet this main grind period doesn't take place during the holiday period. 

-The 12 day period is just an incredibly short period of time to grind THREE parts, two of which CANNOT BE COMPLETED AT THE SAME TIME, and one of which requires a SINGLE SHIP to be played only. This isn't something I take lightly, because as I said, I do appreciate free stuff and look down on complaining about them, but this incredibly short time limit is simply *[edited]* atrocious.

-The 4 million credit tresholds are incredibly stringent and force incredible amounts of pure grinding, not to mention the fact that they disadvantage players who do not have multiple premium ships or enjoy playing specific nations and invest their time in playing for singular nations.

-The Steel Campaign requirement and the Reward for these is the P.E.F, a relatively unknown ship with dubious popularity, and an unprecedented amount of focus on playing the said ship. When, compared to ships like the DoY and Bismarck, make players less convinced to take time to grind the missions for a relatively paltry 2019 steel and on a less popular ship in general. 

Looking at these we can compare this to the DoY campaigns, which actually took a shorter time during the same time periods. 

The T6 campaign did not require you to play the DoY at the same time, something needed due to the steel missions, making it much more flexible to grind. The DoY's last campaign was much more versatile and somehow less grindy, requiring about the equivalent of 195,000 XP (doing one 75k xp mission twice along with more missions of your choice, plus a 45k xp mission, should you be a F2P), considering the premium accounts + 100/200% XP days given at the time making it a much faster grind, compared to having to grind possibly around 20million credits using a much less flexible system, of which requires the distribution between multiple countries. 

The DoY missions were extremely challenging and the need to grind was there - however, it felt as if it was possible, and it felt much less stressful. I understand why WG wants to up the difficulty, but this is just such an incredible jump in difficulty plus a lowering of flexibility that it makes it feel much harder in comparison. 

Am I being overpretentious? Is this not as big a deal as I think? Have I not seen enough of the missions to make such a judgement? Possibly. But from what I see, there genuinely exists way too many jumps for an F2P like me to invest my time in, compared to past events where I felt it was possible. It is mainly the 4 million credit tresholds and the need to use the P.E.F that push this limit - with the lowered flexibility and ability to decrease the difficulty of those missions, it simply feels to me much harder and more stressful in such a small period of time. 

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles

If a game feels hard and stressful to you than perhaps you need to find a different game like club penguin or Hello kitty that won't stress your delicate nature. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[TASC]
Members
240 posts
7,051 battles

as someone who has a full time job and family that i like to spend time with i see and agree with your points. 

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,860 battles

Alternative approach if you do not have the time but seek to finish all the missions is purchase the ship only.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
20,147 posts
6,036 battles
2 hours ago, UssIowaSailor said:

If a game feels hard and stressful to you than perhaps you need to find a different game like club penguin or Hello kitty that won't stress your delicate nature. 

There is a difference between "Hard-[edited]Dark Souls/Cuphead" type stress versus "Neckbeard-inducing life-absorbing/eating time-burning" type stress. 

The game may be difficult at times, but that's not what I'm stressed or pissed about. I'm frustrated about the fact that it takes so much time out of my life. Contrary to popular belief I do indeed have a life, or at least gained it over the past month. You may not, but I have a lot more to do that isn't "Stare at my screen for 10 hours killing my arteries through junk food". 

1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Good heavens, OP.

Clap, meet Trap.

Sure. 

1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

[hidden]

Challenge is one thing, throwing my entire life to finish an incredibly repetitive mission that gives little sense of accomplishment is another. This isn't Dark Souls, where the difficulty is in skill. This is difficulty in squeezing time into playing the game. 

As I said: I have a life. DoY's was a challenge I readily embraced. This one crosses the treshold I can tolerate.

1 hour ago, Junostorm said:

Alternative approach if you do not have the time but seek to finish all the missions is purchase the ship only.

Absolutely correct. But the way it is presented as "free stuff!!!!1" might as well be a lie seeing the incredible sea of objectives you have to go through. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles
1 hour ago, WolfenRepentant said:

Do not participate and all that stress is gone... poof. Just like the dreadnought challenge. Just don't do it, go and read a book instead.. :fish_book:

1 hour ago, UssIowaSailor said:

See how two people can essentially say the same thing and yet one of them clearly comes off as a [edited] and a troll?  That said, unlike ships like Dreadnought this ship looks to be a decent mid tier ship - it's a more "valuable" giveaway.  I can understand how the grind can make it not worth trying (you haven't SEEN grind until you see "On Track" events to earn premium tanks in WoT) but that's kind of the point with a free to play game - you gotta work for it and populate those battles if you're not gonna pay anything.  As long as these events fall into the realm of "doable" I'm pretty okay with it.  After all, they do need to sell these ships to make money and as you've pointed out, you do nothing to support dev and maintenance costs of this game.

Members
1,512 posts
10 battles
3 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

The game may be difficult at times, but that's not what I'm stressed or pissed about. I'm frustrated about the fact that it takes so much time out of my life.

Challenge is one thing, throwing my entire life to finish an incredibly repetitive mission that gives little sense of accomplishment is another. This isn't Dark Souls, where the difficulty is in skill. This is difficulty in squeezing time into playing the game. 

I know I do not play enough to ever have a chance at completing the campaign so I am not bothering with it, no sense in stressing out about something out of my control. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles

Bear in mind that unlike the Cossack event...

1) These directives don't close at the end of the week the way the Cossack stages did.

2) Take the easy tasks first, unlock the next directive by completing the minimum six missions, and spread the rest out. That 60K ship XP mission? Once you've got the others done, that translates to sixty thousand ship XP across the entire month. If you play to even the second regular container every night, it'll be done in five days.

Directive 4? Now that's going to be the real bastard.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,006 posts
5,775 battles

i will buy it,no point wasting my precious time grinding for a tier6 ship.

[RSWF]
Members
33 posts
2,572 battles

Agreed with OP 100%.  It is geared towards people who play a lot. 

I will take a pass on this.

By comparison, WOT gave out a Tier 6 Premium for free, and there Xmas specials are great and do able for casuals.

The rich get richer...

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,874 battles

They do this every year.    Every Christmas, the reward ship is needed to start the other campaign/event, if you earn the reward ship instead of purchasing it from the premium shop, you usually have just a week or so to complete the other campaign/event.

Edited by wtfovr

[SPTR]
Members
20,147 posts
6,036 battles
1 hour ago, FirestormMk3 said:

See how two people can essentially say the same thing and yet one of them clearly comes off as a [edited] and a troll?  That said, unlike ships like Dreadnought this ship looks to be a decent mid tier ship - it's a more "valuable" giveaway.  I can understand how the grind can make it not worth trying (you haven't SEEN grind until you see "On Track" events to earn premium tanks in WoT) but that's kind of the point with a free to play game - you gotta work for it and populate those battles if you're not gonna pay anything.  As long as these events fall into the realm of "doable" I'm pretty okay with it.  After all, they do need to sell these ships to make money and as you've pointed out, you do nothing to support dev and maintenance costs of this game.

Seperating your points here: 

-From what I know, P.E.F isn't a very good ship and doesn't have the collector's allure of the Dreadnaught(butthemissionsyoumustgrindthrough).

-I cannot be sure about grind compared to WOT, but again to note: this includes the free T6 Silver ship grind, and must be all done in 12 days. The problem with it is that altogether they almost aren't doable. 

-Your last point is agreed to, but one of the points of these free ship campaigns is to attract F2Ps to play the game to populate the servers/keep playing and make the game seem more popular. The campaign is so hard it threatens to make it undoable enough for people to give up on it.

1 hour ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I know I do not play enough to ever have a chance at completing the campaign so I am not bothering with it, no sense in stressing out about something out of my control. 

So it gives you the right to tell me to go play something that will "less stress my delicate nature", when you decide to ignore it in the first place.

50 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Bear in mind that unlike the Cossack event...

1) These directives don't close at the end of the week the way the Cossack stages did.

2) Take the easy tasks first, unlock the next directive by completing the minimum six missions, and spread the rest out. That 60K ship XP mission? Once you've got the others done, that translates to sixty thousand ship XP across the entire month. If you play to even the second regular container every night, it'll be done in five days.

Directive 4? Now that's going to be the real bastard.

And that is my problem with the campaign as a whole. The rest is relatively easy, but Dir.4 must be done in 12 days even if you don’t wish to complete the free T6s Campaign. That is an incredible amount of effort required in a small amount of time. 

45 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

They do this every year.    Every Christmas, the reward ship is needed to start the other campaign/event, if you earn the reward ship instead of purchasing it from the premium shop, you usually have just a week or so to complete the other campaign/event.

Yes, but the problem with this campaign in particular is how hard Directive 4 is. 

Because holy bananas, 4 million credits for multiple nations is a lot.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,625 posts
8,768 battles
1 minute ago, khaenn35 said:

As I said: I have a life.

Then pick and choose what is important to do in it.

And live up to this:

2 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

you are free to correct/rebutt me!

That is the final statement of YOUR sig. THAT is what the respondents are offering you.

You cite your F2P creds, like they constitute some badge of honor, state your not a complainer about free stuff, then you go on a rant about free stuff being too hard to get.

1 hour ago, khaenn35 said:

Am I being overpretentious?

As if being "merely pretentious" is somehow worthy. But, to answer your question: Yes.

I hear Bernie Sanders is thinking of firing up the old campaign. And Vermont is beautiful this time of year. Put two and two together there, and maybe you can think up another "more substantive" alternative for your free time these next four weeks.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,769 posts
4,429 battles
27 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

To throw a hat into the "I'll buy Prinz" idea, she's not a bad ship.  If anything, she's very accurate when it comes to gunnery - something that is punchy against cruisers and destroyers.

For the OP, maybe take a break from the game and come back when you're feeling refreshed.  After all, this is supposed to be a fun game - not a hum-drum chore.

5,769 posts
4,429 battles
18 minutes ago, TraxRyn said:

If you purchase the Prinz Eithel and complete the event, what is the reward?  Doubloons?

A special skin.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,006 posts
5,775 battles
Just now, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

To throw a hat into the "I'll buy Prinz" idea, she's not a bad ship.  If anything, she's very accurate when it comes to gunnery - something that is punchy against cruisers and destroyers.

that's her main selling point, an accurate german ship. if her secondaries had a bigger range...

5,769 posts
4,429 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

that's her main selling point, an accurate german ship. if her secondaries had a bigger range...

True.  If she had German secondaries and torps, I would love her even more since the Mackensen-class battlecruiser was the inspiration for the Scharnhorst-class battleship.

If anything, Prinz actually is kind of what I wished the Hood was - accurate and punchy. 

[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
36 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

I was really looking forward to earning it.  But, since I don’t even really want or need the ship I’ll one up you and say I won’t even buy it.  The only real incentive was the steel mission but it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to earn enough of that to buy anything, so it looks like an easy month in Shipland.

[USCG]
Members
366 posts
14,574 battles

I agree with most of what is said. WGing seems to have raised the bar when it comes to winning the Dreadnought & PEF. Part time players will have a difficult time getting both unless they hunker down a play. Not sure if this is good for the player base... It might drive those that can’t devote hours a day to a video game away.

That being the case, I did what WGing wanted me to do and purchased the PEF. My understanding is that if I complete the PEF challenge, I will receive 6,800 doubloons.

The way I look at it is I can get a jump start on the other two challenges that require the PEF and possibly receive 6,800 doubloons in the end.  Works for me...

5,769 posts
4,429 battles
1 minute ago, khaenn35 said:

Ehhh... I don't wish to be a downer but my opinion is very biased against it. The lack of DPM, the horrid Matchmaking, her only strength being from AA and little collector's from what I've read works against buying the ship, among other things.

Along with that, the rewards you get with her aren't exactly substantial. 2019 steel and access to the T6 campaign (of which two ships, since Hatsu, Icarus and Dallas were rather easy to obtain or get past, are really worth your time) I wouldn't say is particularly worth getting her.

Tier VI is decent matchmaking, but you do have a point about lack of DPM.  Her gun caliber also isn't huge, so doing damage against well-armored targets is nil.

I think most of the warships these days are easier to get now because of the amount of FXP available to the masses.  While it affected the overall FXP rate for Alaska, it nevertheless made it easier to get to Tier X.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
3 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

I agree with most of what is said. WGing seems to have raised the bar when it comes to winning the Dreadnought & PEF. Part time players will have a difficult time getting both unless they hunker down a play. Not sure if this is good for the player base... It might drive those that can’t devote hours a day to a video game away.

Not sure raising the bar is the right term. They just added to the grind. The missions are easy, nothing hard about any of them that I have seen. The OP is correct, it just takes so much freaking time. IMHO, Wargaming just does not respect us as people, only cows for them to milk of time and money. The prices they charge are absurd and the time requirements to get many of the missions done are just a bit much, especially considering the rewards. It is a big reason I will not recommend to my friends playing the game and this is reflected in my Steam Review. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

I'll be lucky to work off all the snowflakes.. let alone start these missions. But at least I have next Tuesday off to look into this.