You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
7_3_PowerStroke

Manual vs automatic?

24 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,209 posts
1,055 battles

Yeah that's the problem... I want to convert my truck to stick, but IDK about hardship and costs allowing it.

[WORX]
Members
3,273 posts
14,695 battles

Without question/hesitation/delay nor discussion, CLUTCH. I would never go back to an Automatic, stick shift all the way. I''ll miss my car when I have to let her go of old age but, I'll never drive an Automatic.

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

Grew up in England so learnt to drive a manual. I hate automatics but have only had to manuals since moving to Florida. The roads are straight and boring and the traffic sucks so I drive an automatic. I miss being able to use my gears to brake and the absolute lack of control on some of the exit ramps ... kick my overdrive off sometimes which does a bit of a job but not the same! I miss my clutch and gears!:cap_wander:

Edited by Bravo4zero

[SPTR]
Members
2,209 posts
1,055 battles
Just now, Bravo4zero said:

Grew up in England so learnt to drive a manual. I hate automatics but have only had to manuals since moving to Florida. The roads are straight and boring and the traffic sucks so I drive an automatic. I miss being able to use my gears to break and the absolute luck of control on some of the exit ramps ... kick my overdrive off sometimes which does a bit of a job but not the same! I miss my clutch and gears!:cap_wander:

Yeah honestly, open road is easier for stick than cities/hills. The best you're going to do is use "manual mode" with some auto's, but rightly its never the same.

Members
3,919 posts
8,419 battles

There's nothing sexier than your girl driving a manual in a short skirt, kicking that clutch and handling, um, that stick shift knob. Automatic is for eunuchs.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
4,419 posts
2,416 battles
34 minutes ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Yeah honestly, open road is easier for stick than cities/hills. The best you're going to do is use "manual mode" with some auto's, but rightly its never the same.

Manual mode automatic sucks.

Since my kids started driving, I had to give up my manual transmission cars.  I miss it.

I learned 3 on the tree.  That'll teach not to miss a shift. 

[SPTR]
Members
2,209 posts
1,055 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Manual mode automatic sucks.

Since my kids started driving, I had to give up my manual transmission cars.  I miss it.

I learned 3 on the tree.  That'll teach not to miss a shift. 

It does. Nothing replaces the feel of a proper clutch.

My old man learned 3 on the tree too.

Edited by 7_3_PowerStroke

Members
3,919 posts
8,419 battles

You have no feel for your engine and transmission with auto--here I go with sexual metaphors again but its like the thick re-usable condoms they issued in England during the wars. Power-shifting is what we practiced in days of yore. Auro-trans is for grandma... bless her.

Members
3,919 posts
8,419 battles
36 minutes ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Nothing replaces the feel of a proper clutch.

Not to mention good suspension for a comfy ride.  :cap_wander:

[SPTR]
Members
2,209 posts
1,055 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

You have no feel for your engine and transmission with auto--here I go with sexual metaphors again but its like the thick re-usable condoms they issued in England during the wars. Power-shifting is what we practiced in days of yore. Auro-trans is for grandma... bless her.

Honestly, if you're any good you don't need the clutch to shift. Once you learn your engine then you can just slid into the next gear

Members
3,919 posts
8,419 battles
1 minute ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Honestly, if you're any good you don't need the clutch to shift. Once you learn your engine then you can just slid into the next gear

Yes my g/f would agree.

[SPTR]
Members
2,209 posts
1,055 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Yes my g/f would agree.

Hahahahaha.

Edited by 7_3_PowerStroke

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,600 posts
8,217 battles
1 hour ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

So which is better? Which do you prefer? Which is more universal?

Auto or clutch?

floating gear shifts in a rental car. (don't try this at home)

• Funny 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

Being able to drive a stick is becoming a lost art... My Dad taught me looong ago on his VW Rabbit, and the truck I have now is a stick...I really don't care either way, but I do think its something everyone should know... 

[SPTR]
Members
2,209 posts
1,055 battles
4 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

really don't care either way, but I do think its something everyone should know... 

I agree. Sadly since it's stopped being offered on in most vehicles, the need to know how to drive it has waned.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
17 hours ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

So which is better? Which do you prefer? Which is more universal?

Auto or clutch?

I drove manual transmission vehicles exclusively from the early 1970s until 2006, so I know a think or two about driving stick. In 2006, I bought a Toyota Tacoma with a 5-speed automatic. I'm probably never going back to a manual. The automatics are actually better, with today's computers, than manuals now when it comes to fuel economy and off-road use. A manual might last longer and be easier to work on oneself but very few do that nowadays. It's really nice not having to mess with a parking brake and clutch when trying to get going on a steep hill too. The only thing that I might miss, should my starter go out, is the ability to start the vehicle by letting it roll down hill. I drove my '87 Toyota pickup for half a year without a working starter by just making sure to always park on a hill before I turned it off.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles

Manual transmission, unless you're a potato driver.  It makes driving spritely and well so much more fun.

Unfortunately, I have an automatic in my Crown Vic and it's making me lazy.  But I drive so little nowadays it's not a issue.

4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The only thing that I might miss, should my starter go out,

I once flooded out in the middle of a deep water puddle.  I used the starter to crank me over to the other side.  Sweet.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
21 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Manual transmission, unless you're a potato driver.  It makes driving spritely and well so much more fun.

Unfortunately, I have an automatic in my Crown Vic and it's making me lazy.  But I drive so little nowadays it's not a issue.

I once flooded out in the middle of a deep water puddle.  I used the starter to crank me over to the other side.  Sweet.

It probably wasn't good on the starter but when I had my first Toyota truck I'd just start it in gear for that extra speed boost. That truck only cost me $5000, which I'd saved up for in the Army. It was 2WD, had no power anything, and didn't even have an AC. I drove it off-road all the time and only got it stuck once. I quickly found that chains would allow it to go just about anywhere.  It lasted me through college clear through grad school. That was my research truck and I took it trapping from the Platte to the Rio Grand with all my field gear tarped in the back. Those 110 degree summer days made for some pretty hot travel but back then I was young and tough. I finally sold it and got an '87 4WD. That truck took me through all the lower 48 states and lower provinces of Canada too. I had it for almost 20 years and logged well over a quarter million miles.

My current 2006 Tacoma is by far the best made of the trucks I've had. I've not had to repair a single thing in 12 years, not one. All my other trucks had at least minor problems that I had to fix. Sometimes you get that rare gem of a vehicle that you really need to hold onto. I just wish the darn thing was easier to get into. That low roof makes it safer but it's also a hassle to have to duck all the time when crawling in. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
16 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

semi-automatic :Smile_trollface:

Actually, there is such a thing. It's very common with tractors and, at least in my day, military vehicles, where you select a gear range and then it's automatic within that range. My dad's also got a '50 Desoto that also has a semi-automatic transmission. You choose either low or high range and then, when you reach rpms at that range, you let up on the gas a second and it shifts to a higher gear within that range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_Drive

Edited by Snargfargle

[-BMV-]
Members
1,227 posts
5,834 battles

Modern Auto's have gotten so good that there are very few advantages left to manuals.

Though I'd argue that manuals are more fun to drive.

Since I bought my Fiesta ST I think I always want to own a Manual if I can.

Edited by AquaSquirrel