Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lloyd1701

Prinz Eitel Friedrich + Steel Monsters 'Value' Analysis

9 comments in this topic

[BUOY]
Members
298 posts
9,256 battles

Here's the value of the 'truly valuable' items i.e. the credits and flags are valued at $0 as is the PEF herself since you can earn the ship for free. The convenience factor of getting the PEF early is valuable, which is why I'm throwing it in, but that value is also completely subjective, values in () are for the max 'normal' discount i.e. buying 25k doubloons / 360 days and etc. in one go and making the assumption that you earn the PEF again / complete the entire Steel Monsters campaign before it expires.

PEF 1 $32.29: 6800 doubloons = $31.06 ($27.20), 1x port slot = $.99, immediate access to free 2019 steel mission and the Prinz campaign. Essentially for a buck premium if you didn't need a port slot you get immediate access to all the otherwise free content aside from the 1500 steel in directives 2-4. My take: If you were willing to buy something but consider the other stuff too expensive, this is worth it and by far the best value.

PEF 2 $59.99: 9800 dubs = $43.14 (39.20) , PS = $.99, immediate access to free 2019 steel mission and the Prinz campaign. My take: Absolutely not worth even for newer players.

Steel Monsters $59.99: 2019 dubs = $10.43 ($8.08), 28 Days Premium = $12.59 ($7.51), 4X Big Crates = $12.00 ($9.60), 1X Mega = $5.00 ($3.75) total =  $40.02 ($28.96). Basically 4000 steel costs 20-30 bucks depending on how you're counting in this package. My take: WG REALLY wants to upsell you to the biggest two packages by making the campaign this expensive.

PEF 1 + Steel Monsters = $92.28, pay $7.71 less and forego 1981 dubs = $10.25 ($7.92) and the special flag. My take: Expensive of course, but $7.71 still in your pocket is just that and you get full access to the Xmas event now instead of a month from now.

Mighty Prinz $99.99: 10800 dubs = $47.08 ($43.20), PS = $.99, 28 Days Premium = $12.59 ($7.51), 4X Big Crates = $12.00 ($9.60), 1X Mega = $5.00 ($3.75), immediate access to free 2019 steel mission and the Prinz campaign. total = $77.66 ($65.04). That 4000 steel costs $23-$35 depending on how you're counting. My take:  Everyone wishes this was $80 and/or not sandbagged with credits and regular economy flags, c'mon WG, if you're gonna bundle, make it something like a number of dragon flags equal to the value of the credits and regular flags! 

Steel Prinz $129.99: 15800 dubs = $66.28 ($63.20), PS = $.99, 28 Days Premium = $12.59 ($7.51), 4X Big Crates = $12.00 ($9.60), 1X Mega = $5.00 ($3.75), +2019 exclusive steel mission, immediate access to 2019 steel mission and the Prinz campaign. total = $96.86 ($85.05). The 6019 steel in this package costs between $33-$45 depending on how you're valuing, a better deal than Steel Monsters alone but very slightly worse than Mighty Prinz. My take: An extra $30 gets you $20 in doubloons and $10 in steel, only worth if you want both or really need the steel.

Of course your mileage will still vary... by a lot if you don't care about doubloons and/or pull nothing you want to 5x T8 / Special ships from your crates.

Edit: Didn't realize the 2019 dubs is outside of the campaign itself and specific to the Steel Monsters stand alone package. This makes the Mighty and Steel Prinz bundles substantially less valuable and buying PEF 1 + SM ala carte and saving almost $8 more viable.

Edited by lloyd1701
  • Cool 8

[NGAGE]
Members
3,072 posts
8,073 battles
1 minute ago, lloyd1701 said:

if you're gonna bundle, make it something like a number of dragon flags equal to the value of the credits and regular flags! 

This would absolutely make these more attractive to me. The 150x signals are... not remotely interesting to me, I have more than I could use of all those anyways.

If that was 25x or 50x of all dragon series flags instead? I'd be way more inclined to buy those bundles.

[LOU1]
Members
3,560 posts
9,429 battles

What is the minimum average number of daily battles for a player to achieve all of the missions after buying PEF 1?  I have always assumed that the packages allowing early access were for players with limited time to play or that wanted to trade their money for time.  Personally, I have never purchased a free to earn ship and I have occasionally struggled to achieve all of the missions.  In fact, I had to write of the DOY mission, but I had limited interest in purchasing that ship.

[BUOY]
Members
298 posts
9,256 battles
16 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

What is the minimum average number of daily battles for a player to achieve all of the missions after buying PEF 1?  I have always assumed that the packages allowing early access were for players with limited time to play or that wanted to trade their money for time.  Personally, I have never purchased a free to earn ship and I have occasionally struggled to achieve all of the missions.  In fact, I had to write of the DOY mission, but I had limited interest in purchasing that ship.

The advantage of just buying the PEF 1 here is that it's basically like buying $31 / $27 worth of doubloons and getting a free ship... or buying the PEF with 6800 doubloons and a port slot bundled into it except the doubloons are paid out in 4 to 5 weeks when the directives are finished and you earn the ship again.

Of course this equation changes entirely if you don't or can't complete the directives and in that case you have to weigh how much value the PEF is to you purely on its own merits.

Edited by lloyd1701
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,760 posts
4,406 battles

Thanks for the breakdown.  Purchasing the ship is probably dependent how much you want to maximize the campaign - earning the free ship or going after the other events.

I bought the Duke of York because I wanted the Scharnhorst winter camo, for example - something I couldn't earn if I did the grind for the Duke of York.

[AFW-]
Members
103 posts
5,126 battles

I am so tired of  these crap bundles! All I want is the ship and campaign and not all the money grabbing crap I don't want or need. Some Christmas when Santa WOWS wants to be PAID TO PLAY Campaign. Oh, wait, maybe this is the Grinch or Scrooge WOWS.

Oh, nice writeup too. Real nice! Good work

Edited by dabears494
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
Members
1,494 posts
8,239 battles

Hey really nice job I was just trying to figure this all out . You went ahead and did it for us thanks great write up +1

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,315 posts
20,173 battles

If I am going to spend this amount of money, just give me my crap. Wargaming wants us to spend quite a bit of money and on top of that, grind to get what we paid for. Normally this would make me laugh but I imagine someone is going to buy this from them. 

The worst part about this isn't the price, it is what you are getting for the price. If Wargaming had a functioning brain cell, they could have bundled some premium time or signal flags to make the packages attractive. Instead they doubled down on stupid and we got the inane bundles. Wargaming just never ceases to disappoint. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,068 posts
6,302 battles
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

If I am going to spend this amount of money, just give me my crap. Wargaming wants us to spend quite a bit of money and on top of that, grind to get what we paid for. Normally this would make me laugh but I imagine someone is going to buy this from them. 

The worst part about this isn't the price, it is what you are getting for the price. If Wargaming had a functioning brain cell, they could have bundled some premium time or signal flags to make the packages attractive. Instead they doubled down on stupid and we got the inane bundles. Wargaming just never ceases to disappoint. 

I would've bundled Steel with Prem time. Steel with Doubloons. Steel with Dragon (or similar flags). AND Steel with the new Prinz. That way there is something for everybody. 

Maybe not the best way of doing things, but I'm a cut to the chase kind of guy. lol

Sign in to follow this