You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

CV rework: an unintended consequence of odd-tier CV withdrawal.

39 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles

As we all know, the CV rework is coming in 0.8.0 and the odd-tier carriers are being withdrawn.

While nothing has been said yet about the compensation package for odd-tier CV's, I have little doubt that if the line splits are any indication, there could be some real sweeteners in there for people who continue to play CV's.

However, it does raise an interesting issue for those people whose Tier 5 carrier is currently the highest-tier CV they have, which includes me with the Bogue.

At present, they are currently at the lowest tier which allows their CV to participate in Dailies missions and various events (e.g. the recent Royal Navy grind to win the Cossack). But what happens when those Tier 5 CV's are removed from the game? Never mind that they will (hopefully) get all their silver back and have their T5 ship's XP either converted to free or put on the new T4 Langley/Hosho; they will have lost the only means they had to take a carrier into the dailies and related tasks.

How is THAT going to be compensated?

Tagging @Pigeon_of_War so he can put this question to the devs.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles

Better get that Independence. There will be no compensation for this.

Hope you like fighting tier 8 AA.

[TBOW]
Members
1,753 posts
12,135 battles

It does not allow for a good progression taking out the odd tier ships and I have seen no good reason why they did it.  Also noticed that now Ranked is T9 and there will not be T9 CVs.  Makes me wonder if Ranked and Clan Battles will get moved to Odd Tiers so they can keep the CVs out of those competitions.  Anyway, I am starting to give up on WG and the game in general.

Edited by GrimmeReaper

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,307 posts
3,302 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As we all know, the CV rework is coming in 0.8.0 and the odd-tier carriers are being withdrawn.

While nothing has been said yet about the compensation package for odd-tier CV's, I have little doubt that if the line splits are any indication, there could be some real sweeteners in there for people who continue to play CV's.

However, it does raise an interesting issue for those people whose Tier 5 carrier is currently the highest-tier CV they have, which includes me with the Bogue.

At present, they are currently at the lowest tier which allows their CV to participate in Dailies missions and various events (e.g. the recent Royal Navy grind to win the Cossack). But what happens when those Tier 5 CV's are removed from the game? Never mind that they will (hopefully) get all their silver back and have their T5 ship's XP either converted to free or put on the new T4 Langley; they will have lost the only means they had to take a carrier into the dailies and related tasks.

How is THAT going to be compensated?

Tagging @Pigeon_of_War so he can put this question to the devs.

I'd imagine your just going to get all your experience back earned grinding carriers as free xp????  CVs will be removed.... Modules will be removed and captains placed in reserve?    You will be free to use that experience for whatever you choose? would be the only fair way to handle as there will be some players who won't want to play after the change inevitably and if forums are any indication?  I also do wonder if we will get a one time respec for all captains?   AA skills will probably be effected..I can think of at least two that should need to be replaced on surface ship captains?        

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles

They are not going away and most are becoming part of a second tree.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

True, but WHEN? 

(Yeah, I know; s∞n.)

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The thing is there was absolutely no reason to remove the odd-tiered carriers in the first place.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

Captains put into reserve for what??? With the ships gone, are we talking Hashidate and Erie ??? Can I get a free transfer to another ship? Or how about just keep the ships and clone the new capabilities onto the even number tiers.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles

I can say with certainty that I am not fond of the idea of losing my Hiryu. Tier 7 is where the game is actually still fun.

When Hiryu is gone, I have to pick between "80% bottom tier vs T8" and "80% bottom tier vs T10" and have no other options.

So I'll probably just keep Ryujo for Operations and continue to never touch carriers in Random.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
2 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

So I'll probably just keep Ryujo for Operations

Imagine taking Ryujo into Killer Whale and being able to directly attack the surface emplacements and the docked warships, freeing up the others to deal with the moving combatants in the harbour.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Imagine taking Ryujo into Killer Whale and being able to directly attack the surface emplacements and the docked warships, freeing up the others to deal with the moving combatants in the harbour.

I do that in the current control scheme. My job is to take out the docked battleships (one used to be a carrier) before they can cause trouble, then swing around and clean up the harbor after they're down.

Also never go near the forts with aircraft. Hell no. Those things have tier 10 AA, they erase tier 6 planes instantly. Avoid them at all costs.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I do that in the current control scheme. My job is to take out the docked battleships (one used to be a carrier) before they can cause trouble, then swing around and clean up the harbor after they're down.

Also never go near the forts with aircraft. Hell no. Those things have tier 10 AA, they erase tier 6 planes instantly. Avoid them at all costs.

I was unaware that they could hit the dockyard structures. My bad. Point taken about the forts.

[LRM]
Members
2,848 posts
6,103 battles

Honestly, we should have raised hell over wargaming removing odd tier aircraft. However, ya know, screw us, right?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I was unaware that they could hit the dockyard structures. My bad. Point taken about the forts.

Dive bombers can, but they're better used vs ships because the reload cycle is just too long to be worth taking out non-hostile targets.

1 minute ago, Phil_Swift_With_Flextape said:

Honestly, we should have raised hell over wargaming removing odd tier aircraft. However, ya know, screw us, right?

giphy.gif

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles

Dive bombers can, but they're better used vs ships because the reload cycle is just too long to be worth taking out non-hostile targets.

I wonder if this is one of the things we are being given rockets for, with future operations to include a broader range of surface targets in carrier-inclusive scenarios.

[LRM]
Members
2,848 posts
6,103 battles

giphy.gif

Honestly, we did. 

Wargaming didn't listen, and furthermore, they are so hellbent on always being right that they don't understand the concept of being wrong. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
21 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The thing is there was absolutely no reason to remove the odd-tiered carriers in the first place.

Actually there is. CV's don't see +2 MM against CV's so this removes all CV to CV tier differences.

[SPCU]
Members
786 posts
5,020 battles
29 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

I'd imagine your just going to get all your experience back earned grinding carriers as free xp????  CVs will be removed.... Modules will be removed and captains placed in reserve?    You will be free to use that experience for whatever you choose? would be the only fair way to handle as there will be some players who won't want to play after the change inevitably and if forums are any indication?  I also do wonder if we will get a one time respec for all captains?   AA skills will probably be effected..I can think of at least two that should need to be replaced on surface ship captains?        

What about all the exp that has yet to be converted to fxp? Pretty sure some hardcore cv players have an olympus mons worth. Does it go up in smoke? Get converted?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
2 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

What about all the exp that has yet to be converted to fxp? Pretty sure some hardcore cv players have an olympus mons worth. Does it go up in smoke? Get converted?

IIRC those who choose to bail on carrier play altogether are going to get their carrier-related XP (and ONLY their carrier-related XP) converted to free as a sort of buy-back. I suspect we will see a lot of Alaskas the day after.

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,110 posts
19,503 battles
14 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

So I'll probably just keep Ryujo for Operations and continue to never touch carriers in Random.

For me it was Independence, but yeah.

I used to love Ryujo in Killer Whale, but once they fixed the bug that allowed Ryujo to max range manual drop for maximum effect through the piers (hoooo boy, those were the days,) Indy became the better choice because a point blank drop would yield better. (Ryujo’s manual drop is too wide to be effective against some of moving targets in KW at point-blank.)

In any case, I have a mil+ ship xp on my Bogue, going to be funny as hell if all that drops to Erie.

Midway can go to hell. I wouldn’t waste a plugged xp on that Tier 10 White Elephant. Gotta be an RTS level unicum player to be worth a flip in that thing under either system anyway.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,195 posts
11,696 battles

the odd tier CV will come back after WoWs done with the even tier CV first

so they not going anywhere yet

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,307 posts
3,302 battles
7 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

legit question?   

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,461 posts
3,895 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Actually there is. CV's don't see +2 MM against CV's so this removes all CV to CV tier differences.

That could've been resolved in an entirely different way. A couple of ways, actually.

Tier 8/9/10 carriers don't see other tiers because only 1 carrier can be on a side in those tiers. So extending that down could do it.

Could also just change the carrier MM rule to no longer allow different tier carriers while maintaining 2 max per side.

What removing odd-tiered carriers will do is make anchor divisions even more effective.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,307 posts
3,302 battles
1 minute ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

the odd tier CV will come back after WoWs done with the even tier CV first

so they not going anywhere yet

I wonder if some of them don't end up making staggered appearances as reworked premiums?    

[WOLFC]
Members
356 posts
18,046 battles
51 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At present, they are currently at the lowest tier which allows their CV to participate in Dailies missions and various events

Simple solution. Daily missions and other events will be open to tier 6 ships and above.