Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Gascogne vs. Kii vs. Vanguard

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,953
[-K-]
Members
6,139 posts
10,299 battles

Hi everyone,

Currently looking at possibly picking up another T8 premium battleship to help grind out a bit more steel from the upcoming snowflake event (and also just to mix it up a bit).  Looking at the Premium Shop and the T8 BBs I don't currently have, my choices are the following:

  • Gascogne
  • Kii
  • Vanguard

Looking for some opinion on these 3 ships, and if any of them are actually worth picking up.  Gascogne seems like a baby Republique, while Kii like a worse Amagi.  Not sure how to label Vanguard yet.

Guess Le Terrible could be another steel ship option, but she doesn't appeal to me at all without having a smoke consumable option.

What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,953
[-K-]
Members
6,139 posts
10,299 battles
2 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

buy a set of mega Christmas boxes and let WG RNG make your choice for you

Yeah, and I'll end up with Monaghan, Le Terrible, and Nueve de Julio instead. :Smile_veryhappy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261
[RTXN]
Beta Testers
917 posts
2 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

buy a set of mega Christmas boxes and let WG RNG make your choice for you

Have to agree with this one.  Got Kii, and T-61, 14000 DB, 13000 coal plus a metric butt ton of the good economic flags!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
509
[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,450 posts
5,439 battles

All three are pretty mediocre, so it comes down to what nation you would prefer to have a tier VIII trainer for. The big problem with Kii is that you need a dedicated captain to get the most out of its gimmick, which can cause problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
140
[USCG]
Members
367 posts
14,574 battles

I received the GASCOGNE in  big Santa crate. Was kinda meh to start but I ramped up her secondaries and she’s kinda fun to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,221
[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles
41 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Hi everyone,

Currently looking at possibly picking up another T8 premium battleship to help grind out a bit more steel from the upcoming snowflake event (and also just to mix it up a bit).  Looking at the Premium Shop and the T8 BBs I don't currently have, my choices are the following:

  • Gascogne
  • Kii
  • Vanguard

Looking for some opinion on these 3 ships, and if any of them are actually worth picking up.  Gascogne seems like a baby Republique, while Kii like a worse Amagi.  Not sure how to label Vanguard yet.

Guess Le Terrible could be another steel ship option, but she doesn't appeal to me at all without having a smoke consumable option.

What do you guys think?

Gascogne is very dull but of those 3, she has the least protection issues.

 

Kii requires a dedicated captain, AA, if you want to bring out the best of what the ship is about, AA Builds, which no other IJN BB really gets into.  I suppose if you got a Secondary Spec IJN captain you could throw him in there, but considering how soft her protection is, Brawling Kii endangers herself significantly.

 

Vanguard has a big citadel to protect.  If you follow Battleship Survival 101 then you'll be fine.  The other issue is the terrible gun arcs.  She has to practically show broadsides to fire all 4 turrets.

 

Le Terrible has massive problems.  Bad concealment, 100% reliant on her consumables, no smoke, no repair party.

 

It honestly feels like I'm warning you about each of these 4 poisons you're considering taking :Smile_Default:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[-TKS-]
Members
499 posts
8,180 battles

the kii is bad dont like it at all. i guess if you like the japanese tech tree bb's youll like it .  the gascogne is a fun ship ,i really like its guns . have not played  the vanguard but i worry its to much like the hood from the videos ive seen. in the right hands its a monster but in my hands itd be a hp pinata . 

 

*looking at stats the gascan is the lowest performing of the 3 . but id still take it specially top tiered . 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,206 posts
3,521 battles
37 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

buy a set of mega Christmas boxes and let WG RNG make your choice for you

With my luck i'd end up with more T-VI ships, heh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,242
Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
10 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

I received the GASCOGNE in  big Santa crate. Was kinda meh to start but I ramped up her secondaries and she’s kinda fun to play. 

I got Gascan in a container too and I think that she's a pretty decent bote for a BB.

I also got Kii and she's a decent bote that falls far short of being a excellent bote because her guns cant hit anything. Kii not only has the worst accuracy of any IJN BB that I've driven, she has the worse accuracy of ANY BB that I've driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,953
[-K-]
Members
6,139 posts
10,299 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Gascogne is very dull but of those 3, she has the least protection issues.

 

Kii requires a dedicated captain, AA, if you want to bring out the best of what the ship is about, AA Builds, which no other IJN BB really gets into.  I suppose if you got a Secondary Spec IJN captain you could throw him in there, but considering how soft her protection is, Brawling Kii endangers herself significantly.

 

Vanguard has a big citadel to protect.  If you follow Battleship Survival 101 then you'll be fine.  The other issue is the terrible gun arcs.  She has to practically show broadsides to fire all 4 turrets.

 

Le Terrible has massive problems.  Bad concealment, 100% reliant on her consumables, no smoke, no repair party.

 

It honestly feels like I'm warning you about each of these 4 poisons you're considering taking :Smile_Default:

Maybe none of them are viable options.  I don't much like poison, last I checked.

7 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

the kii is bad dont like it at all. i guess if you like the japanese tech tree bb's youll like it .  

Amagi is a sweet little gem at T8, but from other impressions, Kii seems to not nearly have the same kind of magic in her hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,127
[SIM]
Members
3,456 posts
5,328 battles

Out of the three, I’ve found Kii to be the most comfortable, most consistent, and most enjoyable. She’s a big bad battleship with punchy guns, solid AA, and a torpedo gimmick for those rare occasions where someone tries to get stuck in for a brawl. Gascogne is one of the more boring ships in the game with an awkward gun layout, while Vanguard is slightly less boring than Gascogne but even more awkward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
826
[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

I have only Vanguard. And its a great ship. Guns are great, very accurated with good AP and HE. Its also very agile with crusier rudder. AA its also great, this might be a good thing with the CV rework. If you like great gunnery Vanguard is really worth it. 

 

From what i know, Kii is a worse Amagi, with better AA and some very situational toprs, but Amagi has better guns, mobility and its more tanky. 

 

Gascogne seems very meh too, but i almost dont see one, so i dont really know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,221
[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles

Gascognes are a very rare sight in the game.  I couldn't get a feel of her as an opponent when you don't see them in a game.  I see tons more Tier IX Jean Bart than I do Gascognes.

 

On paper she doesn't look bad.  It's Richelieu with a funkier layout.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
191
[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
512 posts
21,860 battles

Depends on your play style. I have all 3. Kii for the AA build and torps if you want to play close,  Gascan if you want to brawl with T8 and below. Overall I have more fun playing with the Vanguard. Guns are accurate and it moves well. Out of all 3 I think that the Vanguard is the best of them if you are going to be playing randoms and getting up tiered to play 8-10 all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,953
[-K-]
Members
6,139 posts
10,299 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Gascognes are a very rare sight in the game.  I couldn't get a feel of her as an opponent when you don't see them in a game.  I see tons more Tier IX Jean Bart than I do Gascognes.

 

On paper she doesn't look bad.  It's Richelieu with a funkier layout.

But, if you like Republique, you'd like Gascogne, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[ASRN]
Beta Testers
401 posts
3,320 battles

I only run Kii with the Kobayashi camo with the 50%  cost reduction and only in PvE.   Credits pile up easily and in a hurry. 

The Vanguard is an okaybote.  But, as others have said, watch your broadsides.   You'll be shifting your rudder a lot to max out your firing solutions.

No opinion on Gascogne.  Haven't tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[-TKS-]
Members
499 posts
8,180 battles
16 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

But, if you like Republique, you'd like Gascogne, no?

yes , depending how you play the rep. if played like a mid range shooter very similar. when in brawling range the Rep is much better imo  . another big  difference is republique is always top tier . A gascan up against a conqueror or any tier 10 fire spewing demon is not pretty . 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[TBOW]
Members
1,755 posts
12,135 battles

If you have played the Amagi and like it, Kii plays very similar, better AA and Tirpitz Torpedoes for when you are up close personal.

Vanguard is more Battle Cruiser than Battle Ship, very responsive rudder, and if you watch your angles a nice hit pool for T8 at 71K.

Gascogne to me is like Repubs little brother;  I prefer the Richi over her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[UEFN]
Members
825 posts
15,584 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Hi everyone,

Currently looking at possibly picking up another T8 premium battleship to help grind out a bit more steel from the upcoming snowflake event (and also just to mix it up a bit).  Looking at the Premium Shop and the T8 BBs I don't currently have, my choices are the following:

  • Gascogne
  • Kii
  • Vanguard

Looking for some opinion on these 3 ships, and if any of them are actually worth picking up.  Gascogne seems like a baby Republique, while Kii like a worse Amagi.  Not sure how to label Vanguard yet.

Guess Le Terrible could be another steel ship option, but she doesn't appeal to me at all without having a smoke consumable option.

What do you guys think?

Last night i saw a full HP vanguard got insta-deleted by T8 CV dive bomber so i'd probably would scratch it off the list if it were me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,043
[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,922 posts
2,810 battles
Just now, Xcalib3r said:

Last night i saw a full HP vanguard got insta-deleted by T8 CV dive bomber so i'd probably would scratch it off the list if it were me.

That will be irrelevant in a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[UEFN]
Members
825 posts
15,584 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Yeah, and I'll end up with Monaghan, Le Terrible, and Nueve de Julio instead. :Smile_veryhappy:

Or worst, the krispy kreme.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[UEFN]
Members
825 posts
15,584 battles
48 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Out of the three, I’ve found Kii to be the most comfortable, most consistent, and most enjoyable. She’s a big bad battleship with punchy guns, solid AA, and a torpedo gimmick for those rare occasions where someone tries to get stuck in for a brawl. Gascogne is one of the more boring ships in the game with an awkward gun layout, while Vanguard is slightly less boring than Gascogne but even more awkward.

Same here as i like the Kii too, just angle and kite away to access the 3 rear turrets. AA is great, and got torpedos to help with close range brawling, i have more fun in Kii than Tirpitz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[BS]
Members
1,393 posts
7,689 battles

GET THE GASCOGNE. I have all 3, easily the best guns. The penetration is great, reminds me of the Jean Bart and Alsace that way. The guns are better then I was led to believe. The dispersion is wonky, BUT, unlike Roma and Kronshtadt, you can count on atleast 1-2 of your shells to hit the mark almost every salvo. The other 5-6 don't really matter when you're shooting cruisers. Gascogne uptier's the best if you play it right, you can citadel higher tier cruisers a lot easier. The repair party comes back pretty quick too, although Vanguard might beat it in that area. But Vanguard will take more damage so it kind of offsets that.

Edited by HorrorRoach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×