LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #116: Prinz Eitel Friedrich

237 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,680 posts
4,329 battles

Thanks LWM! 

Having relatively good dispersion is pretty promising to me, despite the lower damage output.  I hate it when your shots are aimed at a ship and go to Timbuktu when fired. 

happy-old-man-wearing-traditional-german

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,026 posts
29,526 battles

Thank you Mouse!  I really love the looks of this ship, fine lines and deadly attitude.  I guess WG cant be expected to make every premium ship OP, probably going to get it and see if it fits my skill set.

p.s. Where's your old avatar!  Always brighten up my day when you had that in your reviews.  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,004 posts
10,123 battles

I've been waiting for this review with anticipation for a little while now.  Thank you as always, @LittleWhiteMouse.

I'll give the usual +1, but can we just change your forum rep count now to something like this:

images.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,126 posts
15,106 battles

TTr63vs.gif

I dream of a future when WG produces a Christmas premium that isn't a Meh Boat, looking at you GrafSpee and now P.E.Friedrich. 
Things that would have made the P.E.F more than a Meh Boat; Hydro, Better Main Guns, Or you know the general flavor of German Premium BBs AKA Torpedoes. 
At this point I'll earn the P.E.F for free, use it to complete the Campaigns that require it and moth ball it with all the other Meh Boats in my port. 

Edited by RedSeaBear
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,756 posts
3,906 battles

I'm still disappointed they didn't reverse the traverse nerf. That's all she really needed to keep, while the other nerfs were justified.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,659 posts
4,427 battles

Thanks for the review LWM.

However I have to question WG's logic in pushing ships with AA as their strong suite, when the CV rework changes that will affect AA as well are imminent.

Edited by warheart1992

[USCG]
Members
342 posts
14,393 battles

Thanks LWM! Wonderful job as always!!!

I'll probably buy her (if she ever gets in the shop) to ensure I get a jump on the "Mighty Prinz" campaign and "Nerves of Steel" combat missions. 

From what I read it looks like I can still complete the "In the Name of His Highness" event and receive 6,800 doubloons once complete since I'll already have the ship in port.

Works for me...

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,680 posts
4,329 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hmm.  A never completed WWI era ship with a Fantasy Refit on top!

I mean...the ship was laid down and half-completed before WW1 ended, so it probably could've been utilized during the war.  Of course, then it probably would've been scuttled in Scapa Flow, so who knows...

I recall reading once that the Mackensen-class battlecruisers were the basis for the Scharnhorst-class battleships of WW2, so there's that as well...

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,824 posts
8,347 battles
20 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I'm still disappointed they didn't reverse the traverse nerf. That's all she really needed to keep, while the other nerfs were justified.

I'm disappointed at a lot of the nerfs that hit Prinz Eitel Friedrich during development.  She went from a tier VI Scharnhorst to ... well, a boat only a select few could love.  The heartbreak with Duke of York last year prepped me for this inevitability.  Once I heard the rumours that she was destined to become the holiday-gift boat, I was bracing myself for the slew of nerfs that did eventually hit her.

For those curious, here's the changes:

• She used to have 1.9 sigma instead of 2.0 (this was buffed).
  • Her reload time was 24s and not 28s. (yowsa)
  • Her turret rotation speed was a gorgeous 6.0º/s instead of 4.0º/s (yummy)
  • Her surface detection was 12.4km instead of 15.1km. (good gravy!)

Some of these changes were necessary -- namely her surface detection which was hella too good initially.  But the rest?  It makes me have a sad.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Modder, Beta Testers
1,575 posts
2,652 battles

I must admit I wish they had retained the original bow and funnels, though she still looks sharp sporting Hochseeflotte colors.

1zgrofn.jpg

Thanks for the review Mouse!

Cheers,

-JB

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
767 posts
5,581 battles

1. German BB- Yeah!

2. Improved secondary performance- Yeah!

3. No turtle back armor- ??

Was hast du getan? Warum? Wofor?

Sie haben eindeutig Ihren kollektiven verloren, WG.

Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!

• Funny 1