Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

CV rework...I don't think so...

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,116 posts
14,427 battles

Automated consumables... no dual control of ship and planes. You got to be kidding me. Why have a captain at all; just make all CVs robots.

I'll give it a try but I'm not optimistic. In other threads on the topic I see people saying that they will be selling their CVs back to WG for FXP. Do we know for a fact that FXP is what will be used to buy them back and what about the premium ships that we paid cash for. I have a ship load of credits(close to 200 million) but could always use more free XP especially with the Alaska coming out. I wonder if it'd be worth it to buy back some of those CVs I've left behind to cash in on the FXP to get ships that I can actually play and not be just a spectator.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,056
[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles

The biggest complainers about the CV rework are the ones that loved being RTS gods. It's going bye-bye because it's a major detriment to other CV players, especially since few can enjoy the multi-task stress. I'm sorry for their loss, but it's necessary.

I did my Haku only a few times before selling and returning to Taiho because I was tired of facing such skill levels all the time. They would not lower the competitiveness for Random either. WG had to do something.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,621
[WOLF7]
Members
11,420 posts
8 minutes ago, Reymu said:

The biggest complainers about the CV rework are the ones that loved being RTS gods. It's going bye-bye because it's a major detriment to other CV players, especially since few can enjoy the multi-task stress. I'm sorry for their loss, but it's necessary.

I did my Haku only a few times before selling and returning to Taiho because I was tired of facing such skill levels all the time. They would not lower the competitiveness for Random either. WG had to do something.

And you think this rework is somehow the answer to all the issues? :Smile_amazed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,614
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
1 hour ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Automated consumables... no dual control of ship and planes. You got to be kidding me. Why have a captain at all; just make all CVs robots.

I'll give it a try but I'm not optimistic. In other threads on the topic I see people saying that they will be selling their CVs back to WG for FXP. Do we know for a fact that FXP is what will be used to buy them back and what about the premium ships that we paid cash for. I have a ship load of credits(close to 200 million) but could always use more free XP especially with the Alaska coming out. I wonder if it'd be worth it to buy back some of those CVs I've left behind to cash in on the FXP to get ships that I can actually play and not be just a spectator.

Since they will only let us control the ship if we give up the squadron we have up at the moment so automated is an improvement.

1 hour ago, Reymu said:

The biggest complainers about the CV rework are the ones that loved being RTS gods. It's going bye-bye because it's a major detriment to other CV players, especially since few can enjoy the multi-task stress. I'm sorry for their loss, but it's necessary.

I did my Haku only a few times before selling and returning to Taiho because I was tired of facing such skill levels all the time. They would not lower the competitiveness for Random either. WG had to do something.

What I find scary is how many people that are not very good with the current CV's are fighting to keep it.

56 minutes ago, awiggin said:

And you think this rework is somehow the answer to all the issues? :Smile_amazed:

It is an answer although until we see it completed we really won't know if it is the answer.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,056
[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

And you think this rework is somehow the answer to all the issues? :Smile_amazed:

Vision control and the multi-tasking issues, yes. Definite to the alpha strike potential.

But whether it actually does so on live server remains to be seen. Most of the worry seems to be from AA builds no longer necessarily shredding the planes automatically.

I'd have stuck to RTS, but removed the fighter strafe (or changed it to only do light damage to ships, either temp disable AA or kill a few mounts), buffed the rearm time on US CV bombers 10-15%, planes take extra damage during manual TB/DB run, and set the DF from T8-10 CV to be unusable after the 10-min (typically matches are decided by then, my experience). However, that did not address the vision control aspect and kept the alpha strike, so maybe WG's solution is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,041
[ARGSY]
Members
10,373 posts
6,766 battles
9 minutes ago, Reymu said:

But whether it actually does so on live server remains to be seen.

At the very least it's eliminated CV cross-drops in a single-carrier game, and by the time you've torpedoed a ship, RTB'd and picked up HE or rocket-firing bombers, their DCP is probably off cooldown and you won't be able to stack floods and fires the way you used to. Good luck trying to co-ordinate cross drops in purely random games; the consequences of a pair of CV's divving up and co-ordinating with voice comms could be interesting, though.

14 minutes ago, Reymu said:

However, that did not address the vision control aspect and kept the alpha strike, so maybe WG's solution is better.

I suppose they could have restricted Japanese carrier air group composition in the same way as they did the Americans. In a way I'm sorry I went for the Langley first when I spent Free XP to access carriers; I should probably have gone for the Hosho.

 

I eagerly await WG's announcement regarding exactly what happens to people like me who are currently operating an odd-tier tech-tree CV (Bogue in my case) as their only CV. My minimum expectation is for every silver coin I spent on her to be refunded and the XP transferred to the Langley. It would be nicer still if they gave me the Langley back in port for free (I sold her), but I'm not counting on that. Nicest of all would be to get promoted to the Independence at no cost to myself, but I sincerely doubt that will happen either.

In any case, the British CV's are dropping with or shortly after the rework, so I will probably go immediately to the Hermes. I just hope they rethink their decision to remove torpedoes at T4, though I can sort of understand why they did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,056
[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At the very least it's eliminated CV cross-drops in a single-carrier game, and by the time you've torpedoed a ship, RTB'd and picked up HE or rocket-firing bombers, their DCP is probably off cooldown and you won't be able to stack floods and fires the way you used to. Good luck trying to co-ordinate cross drops in purely random games; the consequences of a pair of CV's divving up and co-ordinating with voice comms could be interesting, though.

I suppose they could have restricted Japanese carrier air group composition in the same way as they did the Americans. In a way I'm sorry I went for the Langley first when I spent Free XP to access carriers; I should probably have gone for the Hosho.

 

I eagerly await WG's announcement regarding exactly what happens to people like me who are currently operating an odd-tier tech-tree CV (Bogue in my case) as their only CV. My minimum expectation is for every silver coin I spent on her to be refunded and the XP transferred to the Langley. It would be nicer still if they gave me the Langley back in port for free (I sold her), but I'm not counting on that. Nicest of all would be to get promoted to the Independence at no cost to myself, but I sincerely doubt that will happen either.

In any case, the British CV's are dropping with or shortly after the rework, so I will probably go immediately to the Hermes. I just hope they rethink their decision to remove torpedoes at T4, though I can sort of understand why they did it.

Oh, they can race to you before DCP's off CD if they use the Afterburner consumable x2 immediately--but it's an investment to take down one ship. If the TB flood chance is unchanged from what I saw in Test server, flooding will be rarer.

Didn't see? WG is gonna refund the odd-tier ship's XP to research it (and credits to buy it) and leave you with the even-tier below it. Got Bogue? You'll get paid the free XP it would've cost to get it from Langley and refunded its credits, but you're not getting promoted to the even-tier ship above it, so no, you still have to research Independence yourself...which reminds me, should free XP to the Midway and buy so get a refund later.

Nothing'll be changed otherwise with the even-tiers like Langley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
50 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Oh, they can race to you before DCP's off CD if they use the Afterburner consumable x2 immediately--but it's an investment to take down one ship. If the TB flood chance is unchanged from what I saw in Test server, flooding will be rarer.

Didn't see? WG is gonna refund the odd-tier ship's XP to research it (and credits to buy it) and leave you with the even-tier below it. Got Bogue? You'll get paid the free XP it would've cost to get it from Langley and refunded its credits, but you're not getting promoted to the even-tier ship above it, so no, you still have to research Independence yourself...which reminds me, should free XP to the Midway and buy so get a refund later.

Nothing'll be changed otherwise with the even-tiers like Langley.

This is where WG runs into problems.  Prop planes don't have afterburners.  As far as I know, there are no jets aircraft on the CVs we can drive in game so there should not be an afterburner consumable.  It's the along the same lines of the Strafe attack we currently have.  Strafing is a ground attack that is used in air to air combat in this silly game for some unknown stupid (nothing they could say would make me stop connecting that adjective to it) reason.  The end result is that flying in a straight line mashing your guns down with no specific target is far more deadly than any other A2A tactic.  Ridicimous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
466 posts
5,959 battles
3 hours ago, Reymu said:

Got Bogue? You'll get paid the free XP it would've cost to get it from Langley and refunded its credits, but you're not getting promoted to the even-tier ship above it, so no, you still have to research Independence yourself.

I think that if you do not have the ship above it, all the currently-held ship XP will be added onto the even-tier ship below, giving you the leg up towards the next highest.  I think you will only get free XP for the actual ship itself and the modules, which of course you could use for the same purpose.

Edited by Mono_De_Mantequilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
466 posts
5,959 battles

It seems like your odd-tier commander is going to be retrained for the even-tier carrier below.  So having Bogue and Langley, you will end up with a second Langley commander, who would have to be retrained for anything else.  That kind of sucks.  It would be nice if they offered free retraining to any ship for any commander who was so marooned.  Or maybe similar to what they did with the US cruiser split, giving out some amount of elite commander XP for that purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,041
[ARGSY]
Members
10,373 posts
6,766 battles
4 hours ago, Reymu said:

Oh, they can race to you before DCP's off CD if they use the Afterburner consumable x2 immediately--but it's an investment to take down one ship. If the TB flood chance is unchanged from what I saw in Test server, flooding will be rarer.

Didn't see? WG is gonna refund the odd-tier ship's XP to research it (and credits to buy it) and leave you with the even-tier below it. Got Bogue? You'll get paid the free XP it would've cost to get it from Langley and refunded its credits, but you're not getting promoted to the even-tier ship above it, so no, you still have to research Independence yourself...which reminds me, should free XP to the Midway and buy so get a refund later.

Nothing'll be changed otherwise with the even-tiers like Langley.

It didn't strike me until I had another look at WG's detailed post and their new revised ultimate plan for the tech tree that the Bogue is disappearing entirely; even the Japanese T5 is going up to T6. In any case, I'm getting the minimal level of XP and credit refunds I thought was appropriate, and I can live with that. I might yet use it to research the UK T4 CV from wherever it branches off, unless I've already got enough XP on that to grab it immediately. It won't hurt to have two carriers on the go. And the only thing that changes for the T4's is no torpedoes, although AA-less ships at T3 are probably going to be glad of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×