You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

2000 battles in a Graf Zeppelin

5 comments in this topic

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,611 posts
8,217 battles

2000 battles in a Graf Zeppelin

Something many players will think quite disgusting, some will hate me for this. Both are quite reasonable reactions. But I have explored every conceivable strategy in every conceivable random battle setup, with every one of the 2 pre revision loadout combinations and all  post revision 6 different loadout combinations with every imaginable captain skill setup that can possibly work (i.e win battles) and many that can't. No other warship in World of Warships comes close to the diversity of gameplay potential as the Graf. It is this cornucopia of endless variations on ways to sink enemy ships, and to win battles, that has made, 2000 battles possible. To @Femennenly  WG's resident Air Ace, @Pigeon_of_War WOWS NA producer, and @Gneisenau013 whose topics I have probably mentioned the Zeppelin far too often (everyday?) this is worth remembering, because how many premium warships, on average, are ever played more than a couple of score times by their owners? What happens after 20, 40 or 100 battles? They get bored. I have never had this issue with Graf, or at least, I will admit, not until I hit the home straight and final score of battles for the zweitausend.

I accept the CV 2019 rework, I deserve no less than the CV rework, (I still detest the CV rework.)

But Graf Zeppelin, has been so much fun, for me. I will miss it.

For those that ask, no kittens or puppies were injured during my gameplay. But a lot of players, were very (sometimes rightly) annoyed with me!

95% of my Graf Zeppelin battles, were played solo. My most employed loadout, has been 121AP (1 fighter squadron, 2 normal torpedo squadrons, 1 AP dive bomb squadron). 300/2000 battles were fought with 203HE/AP pre March 2018 revision. But all 6 (8 counting pre March 2018 revision) loadouts are viable. My favourite game strategy has become to launch a blitz strike attack as soon as the battle starts, relying on luck to present me with an ill defended or slow to act target. Because of the nature of random battles and team psychology, this is unsurprisingly, effective for deciding battle outcomes.

shot-18.12.19_10.03.06-0979.jpgshot-18.12.19_10.03.10-0819.jpg

Spoiler

Some may have mistaken my passion for this in game Aircraft Carrier for a love of German warships. But in fact the orginal draw for me was hearing of Graf Zeppelin coming to WOWS, and I immediately thought of the 1927 dirigible Graf Zeppelin 127 which undertook the world's first airborne transatlantic passenger service

300px-ZeppelinLZ127a.jpg.

However, my own initial confusion led me to read up and explore the history of Germany's attempts to design and build their own aircraft carriers, and notably the (happily) failed attempt to build Graf Zeppelin, aircraft carrier.

300px-Graf-Zeppelin-2.jpg

A most beautiful design, a shapely hull, herself more than capable of competing with the prettiest contemporary Ocean Liners/ However much was lost in translation, it was a happy misundertsanding of my own, that led to me pressing the Purchase button/

shoutout to fellow zeppeliners, there are only about 200 of us on the NA server, but still too many to list here, I know you must share similar feelings about this very exclusive bote. https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/3762272048,Graf-Zeppelin/

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[BNKR]
Members
75 posts
2,713 battles

You and Dante need to have a talk about which circle of hell you shall be sent, if not an entirely new level created entirely for yourself. :fish_glass:

In all seriousness I feel bad for the CV players not wanting this change, but hey, maybe you all can just become u-boat commanders instead. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,611 posts
8,217 battles
44 minutes ago, KRKroenen said:

You and Dante need to have a talk about which circle of hell you shall be sent, if not an entirely new level created entirely for yourself. :fish_glass:

In all seriousness I feel bad for the CV players not wanting this change, but hey, maybe you all can just become u-boat commanders instead. 

probably a place where I have to sail in endless circles in battleships, repeatedly bombed by ap armed stukas.

I am looking forward to seeing (and playing) submarines, in game. But they will never have the sheer versatility of CVs.

• Funny 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,618 posts
14,756 battles

Congrats and thanks for your impressive efforts "proving" the Graf Zeppelin is a good ship. I don't drive CV's at all but I am always impressed with those who do so very well (and I am especially happy if those players are on my team). I am not sure about the CV rework but I also don't have much care, either. It'll be what it'll be.