Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BladedPheonix

Best Christmas ad ever?

19 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles

Howdy sailors!

So I was watching a how to video on aiming with spotter planes when I had the best x-mas ad ever made interupt the video.

judge for yourself.:fish_book:

I uh...don't know about you'all but I think i got something in my eyes.......:Smile_sad:

anyways, thought You all might like this given the historical sugnificence.

until next time

I'll c'ya on the Seas!:cap_look:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts

I read somewhere that the officers of both sides oftentimes had to threaten to shoot their own men because otherwise they really didn't want to fight all that much. Nearly half of the French soldiers mutinied at one time or another with thousands being sentenced to forced labor and dozens executed. 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles
19 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I read somewhere that the officers of both sides oftentimes had to threaten to shoot their own men because otherwise they really didn't want to fight all that much. Nearly half of the French soldiers mutinied at one time or another with thousands being sentenced to forced labor and dozens executed. 

you mean such as this?

I don't blame them.:fish_aqua:

• Cool 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,788 battles

O ya man!  When I first saw this last Christmas I damn near wept openly!  Based, of course, on the actual Christmas day truce that happened in 1914 on the Western Front WWI. Of course the officers eventually put a stop to it.  Too bad I do reckon since the war went on until Nov 1918 and the casualties in those WWI battles are mind boggling.  Reading a book on WWI now as a matter of fact.  The Great War Generals. Those WWI battles would cost like several thousand causalities a DAY ...day after day.  Often the gains were only a few hundred yards if any at all.  Battle of the Somme in 1916 was bout 20,000 dead Brits and 50,000+ casualties on the first DAY!  And that's not counting the German losses.  And it went on for weeks. Others battles were damn near as bad. For sheer concentrated killing and hell the Western Front in WWI is the champ.  Close to 10,000,000 WWI dead depending on whose stats you accept.   More killed in WWII but that was a truly global war.  Fighting all over the world. It was highly concentrated killing in France and Belgium (Russia also) in WWI. Reading this book I got I just don't believe they could get men to do this year after year.  Pretty much you got a lucky wound and a ticket home or you were killed.   The French did have mutinies in 1917 however.  I shut up now.  Tks for posting this. Carry on. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
3,297 posts
14,710 battles

This event actually happened.. Its accounted by the WW2 soldiers who fight that particular war and era. Its a touchy moment by those involved. It practically put the human face/element o the nasty events of war...

Members
4,723 posts
7,788 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

This event actually happened.. Its accounted by the WW2 soldiers who fight that particular war and era. Its a touchy moment by those involved. It practically put the human face/element o the nasty events of war...

WWI..slight correction. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

O ya man!  When I first saw this last Christmas I damn near wept openly!  Based, of course, on the actual Christmas day truce that happened in 1914 on the Western Front WWI. Of course the officers eventually put a stop to it.  Too bad I do reckon since the war went on until Nov 1918 and the casualties in those WWI battles are mind boggling.  Reading a book on WWI now as a matter of fact.  The Great War Generals. Those WWI battles would cost like several thousand causalities a DAY ...day after day.  Often the gains were only a few hundred yards if any at all.  Battle of the Somme in 1916 was bout 20,000 dead Brits and 50,000+ casualties on the first DAY!  And that's not counting the German losses.  And it went on for weeks. Others battles were damn near as bad. For sheer concentrated killing and hell the Western Front in WWI is the champ.  Close to 10,000,000 WWI dead depending on whose stats you accept.   More killed in WWII but that was a truly global war.  Fighting all over the world. It was highly concentrated killing in France and Belgium (Russia also) in WWI. Reading this book I got I just don't believe they could get men to do this year after year.  Pretty much you got a lucky wound and a ticket home or you were killed.   The French did have mutinies in 1917 however.  I shut up now.  Tks for posting this. Carry on. :Smile_honoring:

There was a ww2 movie called "into the white" which has the actor who played ron weasly. great movie and although I can't go into detail without ruining the movie. but it has a simular theme. and it based off a true story!:fish_book:

maybe you could check it out? i found a copy at Vintage Stock for $10, thoughif you don't have that store in your area, you can probably buy or order one at barn&noble for around the same price.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I know, and that's what I think makes this ad so good! It shows than when it comes down to it we're all the same, just wanting to live our lives to the fullest and try and do no harm to others.:fish_aqua:

btw: anyone know if that chocolate is any good? I might order some if it is.

Members
4,723 posts
7,788 battles
4 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

There was a ww2 movie called "into the white" which has the actor who played ron weasly. great movie and although I can't go into detail without ruining the movie. but it has a simular theme. and it based off a true story!:fish_book:

maybe you could check it out? i found a copy at Vintage Stock for $10, thoughif you don't have that store in your area, you can probably buy or order one at barn&noble for around the same price.

Tks

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

Tks

no problem!:fish_cute_2:

there's also another movie about an x-mas truce. I can't remember the name, but its set in WW2 and follows I think either Gis or airborne troops who stumble upon a mother and son and some German soldiers. the movie isn't the greatest, but is has some funny moments. like the chocolate cake part!:Smile_veryhappy:

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
25 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Those WWI battles would cost like several thousand causalities a DAY ...day after day. 

Nowadays, more US troops are killed in training accidents and by friendly fire than by the enemy.

The House Armed Service Committee said that last year nearly four times as many military personnel died in training accidents as were killed in combat.

This is why you see as much "action" as a medic no matter if deployed or in CONUS. I was shot at more as a civilian paramedic than I was as a soldier. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
4,723 posts
7,788 battles
26 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Nowadays, more US troops are killed in training accidents and by friendly fire than by the enemy.

O my.  I did not know that was a fact in today's army. Understandable however.

In WWI more pilots were killed training to fly the famous Sopwith Camel fighter aircraft (Snoopies plane) than were killed in actual combat in it.  Very tricky to fly but it holds the allied record in WWI for most enemy kills. 

Edited by dmckay

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

In WWI more pilots were killed training to fly the famous Sopwith Camel fighter aircraft (Snoopies plane) than were killed in actual combat in it.  Very tricky to fly but it holds the allied record in WWI for most enemy kills. 

I once played a WWI airplane game that was purported to give the planes something of the feel of the real ones. I know that in the game I could hardly fly the Sopwith Camel.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

they've been trying to improve the safety over the years. however due to "certain" groups demanding requirements in both physical and mental health to be lowered (ie we're getting lower quality troops). As long as these groups are getting their way, you can be sure to expect more deaths in the future both on and off the battlefield.:Smile_sceptic:

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
8 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

they've been trying to improve the safety over the years. however due to "certain" groups demanding requirements in both physical and mental health to be lowered (ie we're getting lower quality troops). As long as these groups are getting their way, you can be sure to expect more deaths in the future both on and off the battlefield.:Smile_sceptic:

Just think of what happened to these guys (well, you don't have to think about it, they died at five times the rate of the average soldier).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000

Members
4,723 posts
7,788 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I once played a WWI airplane game that was purported to give the planes something of the feel of the real ones. I know that in the game I could hardly fly the Sopwith Camel.

The Camel had a rotary engine and the whole engine spun in the cowling which turned the prop. No kidding. This created a lot of torque which made it very fast turning to the right.  Engine spun right. No kidding.  But it was very tricky to maintain control. Other WWI planes used these kinda rotary engines but the torque effect was most pronounced with the Camel cause it had a short fuselage which made this torque thing even more pronounced. Famous German Fokker triplane also had this kinda set-up I do believe.  Turned on a dime.  The Red Baron, von Richthofen, was shot down in a tripe over Brit lines in the Spring of 1918. Top ace WWI.  80 kills.  

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,510 posts
11,599 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Just think of what happened to these guys (well, you don't have to think about it, they died at five times the rate of the average soldier).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000

Yes, truely sad. pretty sure sun tusu said " to send untrained men to war is just throwing their lives away"?:Smile_unsure:

[PWH]
Members
135 posts
5,516 battles

Anyone remember the game, Valiant Hearts the Great War? That brought me to tears. I might not celebrate christmas as to personal reasons, but I can understand what power it has. It was to bad that the war couldnt have been stopped on that day in 1914 and spared the world of another 3 years of death and destruction and famine.  It makes me question what is to come in the future. 

Alpha Tester
5,867 posts
2,866 battles
4 hours ago, SteeLeviathan said:

Anyone remember the game, Valiant Hearts the Great War? That brought me to tears. I might not celebrate christmas as to personal reasons, but I can understand what power it has. It was to bad that the war couldnt have been stopped on that day in 1914 and spared the world of another 3 years of death and destruction and famine.  It makes me question what is to come in the future. 

I watched Jacksepticeye's playthrough of that game and I loved it.

Sign in to follow this