You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Arsenal upgrades worth it?

18 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
199 posts
4,597 battles

Since the coupons go away tomorrow, are any of the upgrades worth it?  Kind of looking at the radar.  12700 coal isn't too bad.

[EQRN]
Members
918 posts
11,011 battles

Keep in mind it does not work for all ships with radar.  Check requirements before purchasing.  It definitely does not work with Missouri nor T7 cruisers.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

Radar mod is very worth it, have it on all my radar ships (that can mount it), hydro mod is also very useful on some ships. Really the only bad mod it the damage con one. O and smoke is only good with ship that have the creeping smoke

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
Just now, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Radar mod is very worth it, have it on all my radar ships (that can mount it), hydro mod is also very useful on some ships. Really the only bad mod it the damage con one. O and smoke is only good with ship that have the creeping smoke

Smoke module is fantastic for your creepy smoky ships like Perth and HuangeMeh. I think Haida is the same, not sure as I don't have her. Really is worth it on the two cruisers though. Hydro and Speed boost modules are great as well. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,561 posts
9,434 battles

Speed is my most used one (picked up another one today, followed by Hydro, Smoke, and then, Radar.  Love zipping around in the French ships and DDs.  Perth, Huange , and Haida need their smoke extended.  And Hydro is always useful.  I even mount the Spotter Plane upgrade every once in a while, but wouldn't buy one.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,347 posts
17,682 battles

Some of the upgrades are pretty good but it depends.

The Radar one is real great on a Radar Cruiser.  More Active time is always good.  On Des Moines, Radar Minotaur, etc, with their balance of range 9.9km range and base 40 second active time, it's excellent.

The Engine Boost one is great, to include French Cruisers and Battleships.  Those 2 ship types behave very differently compared to when boost isn't active.

The Hydro one is good for ships with an emphasis on that consumable.  Lots of ships have access to Hydro, but anything with German Hydro, the best Hydro in the game, is a candidate.  Lo Yang is another.

The Smoke Generator one is a bit iffy because of the tradeoffs it does.  It increases the time the consumable pumps out smoke, but the duration of how long the smoke lingers drops.  For Perth and Haida with their very long smoke dropping time and already poor smoke linger time, this upgrade is PERFECT!

Also, if you're curious to know what can and cannot equip these upgrades, check this reference.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,198 battles
36 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I even mount the Spotter Plane upgrade every once in a while, but wouldn't buy one.

I think there are 6 of them in my inventory..... Kept winning them in super containers a while back. 

[WOLF5]
Members
691 posts
24,140 battles
1 hour ago, destawaits said:

I bought smoke mods for my Jervis and Lightning... is that alright?

Well it makes smoke for 30% longer, but it costs you 5% duration. So basically you now have a slightly larger smoke cloud since you now deploy smoke for 13s instead of 10s, but they only last 38s instead of 40s of smoke after it's deployed. It's going to depend on how you plan on using the smoke to determine if it's worth it. If you're just using it to lightly fire or disengage, it's not really worth putting the special upgrade on. If you want to cover an ally, then the larger cloud may be worth it, but 38s for them to recover/do damage isn't a lot of time. 

Edited by h9k_a

[ARMDA]
Members
540 posts
2,914 battles
33 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

Well it makes smoke for 30% longer, but it costs you 5% duration. So basically you now have a slightly larger smoke cloud since you now deploy smoke for 13s instead of 10s, but they only last 38s instead of 40s of smoke after it's deployed. It's going to depend on how you plan on using the smoke to determine if it's worth it. If you're just using it to lightly fire or disengage, it's not really worth putting the special upgrade on. If you want to cover an ally, then the larger cloud may be worth it, but 38s for them to recover/do damage isn't a lot of time. 

Ah, right. I realized that, at the time of purchase, it either added 1 second or took away 2 seconds of smoke depending my position in the smoke. I took Mouse's advice in her Haida review and bought the smoke mod as I realized the aiming mod was not very beneficial. It really helped my gameplay as some wiggle room to avoid torpedoes and to avoid being detected was definitely needed.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
40 minutes ago, destawaits said:

Ah, right. I realized that, at the time of purchase, it either added 1 second or took away 2 seconds of smoke depending my position in the smoke. I took Mouse's advice in her Haida review and bought the smoke mod as I realized the aiming mod was not very beneficial. It really helped my gameplay as some wiggle room to avoid torpedoes and to avoid being detected was definitely needed.

Haida yes, you do get a significant benefit. Same for Perth. On the tech tree Brit DDs little to no benefit.

If you have a Minotaur with the Legendary upgrade and smoke generator it gets a hybrid between the normal and creeping smoke. By that I mean the puffs will last for 91s but the generator will work 49s. I assume (haven’t tried it yet) that you could creep at 1/4 speed while it expelled then sit in it. Having the smoke screen expert skill with that would help that.

Edited by SavageTactical

[ARMDA]
Members
540 posts
2,914 battles
40 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Haida yes, you do get a significant benefit. Same for Perth. On the tech tree Brit DDs little to no benefit.

If you have a Minotaur with the Legendary upgrade and smoke generator it gets a hybrid between the normal and creeping smoke. By that I mean the puffs will last for 91s but the generator will work 49s. I assume (haven’t tried it yet) that you could creep at 1/4 speed while it expelled then sit in it. Having the smoke screen expert skill with that would help that.

I don't plan on getting that skill.

[WAVE]
Members
28 posts
20,048 battles
3 hours ago, destawaits said:

I bought smoke mods for my Jervis and Lightning... is that alright?

It's "alright" but I'd recommend Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1 instead for your British DDs, IMHO. While active, it provides significant safety versus torpedoes, which enhances contesting caps and hunting DDs, etc.

Special upgrades are my top purchases for coal and I now have 43 special upgrades.

[BUOY]
Members
307 posts
9,312 battles

If you play DD's or higher tier French CA's / BB's, the speed boost mod is, IMO, the best upgrade to purchase multiples of.

Hydro is great for KM + RN DD's and is well worth getting several.

Radar is also great, but outside of the Des Memes / Wooster / Moskva / Stalingrad / RIP YY it's more of a 'one and done' upgrade.

Smoke is good for the chain smoking cruisers, unique upgrade Mino and a good argument for PA DD's, but otherwise we're getting into more niche upgrades.

I'm one of the few that likes shooting with a spotter plane and have that mod equipped to the Musashi and Yamato.

Damage Control is only of debatable use on USN BB's since I can notice the squishier turrets.

And finally DFAA is irrelevant at the moment.

[ARMDA]
Members
540 posts
2,914 battles
10 hours ago, GraySpirit said:

It's "alright" but I'd recommend Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1 instead for your British DDs, IMHO. While active, it provides significant safety versus torpedoes, which enhances contesting caps and hunting DDs, etc.

Special upgrades are my top purchases for coal and I now have 43 special upgrades.

Thanks! Wait... that's for slot 2.

Edited by destawaits