Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legozer

AA in Russian Cruisers

8 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles

Hey all. With the Ranked Sprint seasons, I went to my old favourite, the tier 5 KIROV. I just love Kirov so much. Man....

Anyway, with it's poor detection range, and equally poor maneuverability, it's vital to keep Kirov ON THE OUTSIDE, flank/back ranks. In these positions, she's less vulnerable to getting BB sniped (I feel that Incoming Fire Alert is an absolutely indispensable captain skill for this reason), however, being way off on a flank leaves Kirov (and other Russian cruisers) quite at the mercy of the opposing CV.

SO

I specced Kirov out with an AA build/captain. Went whole hog on AA upgrades, and went with BFT/AFT and Manual AA. Whooooo boy....Kirov is an absolute AA nightmare for tier 5 and 6 CVs when she's fully outfitted! Even without DFAA (which would be so cool to have!) I am routinely starting to snipe 10 or more planes a game. The AA range is just ludicrous (I think it's 7.2 km) and any squad I target is losing 2 or more planes. What's better, is no one really specs Kirov out for AA, so CVs just never see it coming. My Kirov AA suite is even quite effective vs T7 CVs.

I'm going to move that captain into Molotov and see how she fares. I always found Chapayev to have really strong AA, so I might entertain the idea of speccing her out for AA after the rework.

Anyone else out there finding any success with Russian AA cruiser builds? I can't recommend it enough on Kirov.

[CVA16]
Members
3,156 posts
11,037 battles
6 minutes ago, legozer said:

I specced Kirov out with an AA build/captain. Went whole hog on AA upgrades, and went with BFT/AFT and Manual AA. Whooooo boy....Kirov is an absolute AA nightmare for tier 5 and 6 CVs when she's fully outfitted! Even without DFAA (which would be so cool to have!) I am routinely starting to snipe 10 or more planes a game. The AA range is just ludicrous (I think it's 7.2 km) and any squad I target is losing 2 or more planes. What's better, is no one really specs Kirov out for AA, so CVs just never see it coming. My Kirov AA suite is even quite effective vs T7 CVs.

How does that affect performance when there are no CVs in the match? What are you giving up? For a while after the CV rework was announced, CVs got very common, especially at T5-7. Often 2 per side. Lately they have declined a bit. Not quite to where they were 6 months ago but I no longer go into matches with the expectation I WILL see a CV (generally being pleasantly surprised when I didn't unless I brought a DFAA  cruiser).

Remains to be seen how common CVs will be when the rework goes live.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles

I gave up Concealment Expert. My feeling is that you are getting lousy concealment anyway, best to just learn to live with it and WASD till your fingers bleed.

Still seeing plenty of CVs in game; enough to make this build really worth it.

[RLGN]
Members
10,095 posts
19,494 battles
24 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Remains to be seen how common CVs will be when the rework goes live.

CVpalooza/CVpocalpse for a while; after that, who knows.

Depends on if it grows stale fast, or if players give up because they’re tired of being harassed and berated by other players because they aren’t delivering like the ‘old’ carriers could.

[CVA16]
Members
3,156 posts
11,037 battles
15 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Depends on if it grows stale fast, or if players give up because they’re tired of being harassed and berated by other players because they aren’t delivering like the ‘old’ carriers could.

I think most players will be happy if their entire chance for victory no longer hinges on the relative quality of the CV drivers.That a CV has no more influence on the match outcome than any other ship in the match. Most players now are perfectly happy when they load into a match without CVs. Some may feel a little disappointed if they bring an AA monster ship, but that likely would have just meant the red CV picked on somebody else on your team.

I agree when the rework goes live, there will be a huge uptick in CV play. Certain low AA ships may become temporarily unplayable. (Musashi will be every CVs favorite damage farm) Especially if WG removes the 2 CV per team limit. Your AA specced Kirov may be the only way to go during this period. It will likely fade like the glut of radar cruisers after the US line split but likely we will see CVs more regularly in the long haul. The good current RTS CV players may rage-quit but they are a small part of the potential CV players.

Edited by Sabot_100

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I think most players will be happy if their entire chance for victory no longer hinges on the relative quality of the CV drivers.That a CV has no more influence on the match outcome than any other ship in the match. Most players now are perfectly happy when they load into a match without CVs. Some may feel a little disappointed if they bring an AA monster ship, but that likely would have just meant the red CV picked on somebody else on your team.

I agree when the rework goes live, there will be a huge uptick in CV play. Certain low AA ships may become temporarily unplayable. (Musashi will be every CVs favorite damage farm) Especially if WG removes the 2 CV per team limit. Your AA specced Kirov may be the only way to go during this period. It will likely fade like the glut of radar cruisers after the US line split but likely we will see CVs more regularly in the long haul. The good current RTS CV players may rage-quit but they are a small part of the potential CV players.

I agree. The need to play AA specced ships will be the new meta for a few months, especially ships that have a "surprise!" AA element to them (Kirov, Bayern, Farragut, Saint Louis) when they are fully decked out.

One thing that really sets Kirov apart is the insane AA range. I can shoot down planes outside of my air detection range, effectively making its AA fire at max range stealth fire. Not that I'm not spotted most of the time anyway, but there are rare occasions when I get to add a plane to my tally without being spotted; very satisfying. Almost makes up for the lack of DFAA. Man, DFAA would be something, though....

[CVA16]
Members
3,156 posts
11,037 battles
9 minutes ago, legozer said:

I agree. The need to play AA specced ships will be the new meta for a few months, especially ships that have a "surprise!" AA element to them (Kirov, Bayern, Farragut, Saint Louis) when they are fully decked out.

Of course MOST DDs have no viable AA build and would sacrifice everything to even try. (AA build Kamikaze or Clemson?). I assume the Saint Louis you refer to the the French CA. The T3 US CL is one of those ships with no viable AA but fortunately rarely sees a CV.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,973 battles

I AA specced Mutsuki and had some fun. Her AA stats are really surprising.

Farragut has DFAA, which can really hit planes hard.

Sign in to follow this