Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

Flint and the CV rework

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

377
[WOLF6]
Members
870 posts
3,373 battles

It still seems that the CV rework will change the game quite a bit, be it for better or worse. Anyone believe the Flint would be an enjoyable and competitive choice obtained by steel through the coming campaigns/events? The other curiosity is how it truly compares to Atlanta (I know torps are more effective with their range etc) though the two ships seem to differ the most in either their smoke or radar consumable. Smoke has had its nerf and apparently one is on the way for radar. Is Flint worth the steel (still quite a rare commodity) over simply purchasing Atlanta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,950
[SYN]
Members
7,409 posts
12,523 battles

I'd argue is the stronger ship, a couple more guns and radar > smoke. I wouldn't spend steel on if for sure. CV rework is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
377
[WOLF6]
Members
870 posts
3,373 battles
Just now, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I'd argue is the stronger ship, a couple more guns and radar > smoke. I wouldn't spend steel on if for sure. CV rework is irrelevant.

Thanks. Yes agree radar likely beats smoke. Perhaps the Atlanta is a better choice. I mention the CV rework as both ships are known for their AA/unlimited DFAA charges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[RLGN]
Members
10,019 posts
19,417 battles

Who knows?

Radar nerf?

Cut Atlanta’s Radar active time by a 1/4 or a 1/2, and it will still be murdering destroyers. (What would seem to be the most likely nerf for Radar.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[-WTP-]
Members
775 posts
3,656 battles

Atlanta is better for hunting destroyers and probably overall versatility

 

Flint is better if you want to fight capital ships instead of destroyers since it has smoke and also longer range torpedoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
377
[WOLF6]
Members
870 posts
3,373 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Who knows?

Radar nerf?

Cut Atlanta’s Radar active time by a 1/4 or a 1/2, and it will still be murdering destroyers. (What would seem to be the most likely nerf for Radar.)

Just the delayed spot for allies that is rumoured to be an option. Granted yes doesn't stop the Atlanta itself and its guns. If Atlanta sees regular CVs post rework this would be a serious buff for it. It murders aircraft quicker than it does DDs though yeah the AA rework is still in question. Flint still does seems steep for 11,500 steel (that what it is?) where its equally capable sister ship is sitting in the premium shop.

Edited by Sumwunskum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[RLGN]
Members
10,019 posts
19,417 battles
1 minute ago, Sumwunskum said:

Just the delayed spot for allies that is rumoured to be an option. Granted yes doesn't stop the Atlanta itself and its guns. If Atlanta sees regular CVs post rework this would be a serious buff for it. It murders aircraft quicker than it does DDs though yeah the AA rework is still in question. 

Carrier rework, (as much as I personally despise it,) may breathe life back into the ‘escort’ role.

I remember a time when regular ships would ask the CV if it wanted an escort. An Atlanta or Flint escorting a CV under the new system is going to murder any kind of attempted snipe.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,981
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,770 posts

Yeah, even though the CV rebork will be a complete crapshow, ships like Flint and Atlanta that farm aircraft kills like might see a temporary uptick in AA-lolz as players are tempted to try the new CV interface by all the goodies that WG will throw at those playing CVs with events and campaigns and missions and garbage.

Here's a scary thought -- an Atlanta and a Flint divved up together. 

 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,405
[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,559 posts
8,217 battles

Flint has 2 special advantages, the camo is simply splendid, very pretty. Enemy players stop firing at you to admire the polished brass. The 2nd advantage over Atlanta is the smoke, this is not minor, as it allows Flint much greater flexibility as a pure dmg dealer. It loses the radar, but at lower tiers (5-9 MM) radar is not so widespread, used or understood properly. But do you want to spend hard earned steel, on a t7 bote? Better to save it maybe, toward a t10.

Spoiler

(*cough, I'll be buying the Flint, asap*)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,110
[WOLF3]
Members
19,138 posts
17,505 battles

As an Atlanta owner, I definitely would not mind Flint in my possession.  But I'm not spending that much steel for a ship as fragile as an Atlanta, smoke or no smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[PVE]
Members
8,127 posts
14,208 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I'd argue is the stronger ship, a couple more guns and radar > smoke. I wouldn't spend steel on if for sure. CV rework is irrelevant.

Don't forget Flint has a useable torp range even if they are slow though. That is a big + for it. I think I would take 2 less guns and no radar for smoke and useable torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[PVE]
Members
8,127 posts
14,208 battles
55 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah, even though the CV rebork will be a complete crapshow, ships like Flint and Atlanta that farm aircraft kills like might see a temporary uptick in AA-lolz as players are tempted to try the new CV interface by all the goodies that WG will throw at those playing CVs with events and campaigns and missions and garbage.

Here's a scary thought -- an Atlanta and a Flint divved up together. 

 

I saw a Streamer div up with a Flint in his Belfast. They had another guy in a Belfast too. Man it was brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,848
[RKLES]
Members
8,919 posts
10,828 battles

If you division with a DD such as a USN DD you can sort of create a synthetic Flint by giving Atlanta smoke in open water then spotting for it. USN Smoke typically is large sized and long duration meaning if your Atlanta is moving back and forth some while firing away at targets, it’s rarher hard to get a lock on it.

Advantage Flint has is no div needed, since you carry smoke with you, but think it does have shorter duration. Honestly I am considering Flint myself partially in response to the upcoming rework since a Smoked AA cruiser can be deadly asset to use against enemy aircraft. After all is that a DD or a CL that laid that smoke? That is the question CV players sometimes have to ask themselves. If they guess wrong and try flying over it, then they can pay the price heavily in planes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,976
[SALVO]
Members
19,923 posts
19,878 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Carrier rework, (as much as I personally despise it,) may breathe life back into the ‘escort’ role.

I remember a time when regular ships would ask the CV if it wanted an escort. An Atlanta or Flint escorting a CV under the new system is going to murder any kind of attempted snipe.

That was also a time when CV would regularly try to snipe the other carrier.  So, at that time, having an escort wasn't such a completely bad idea, particularly if the escorting ship's player knew how and where to position himself to intercept incoming strikes before they reached the carrier and forced them to pass through their AA to reach the carrier, but also put themselves in a decent position to get back to the fight without much effort.  Good escorts wouldn't just sit next to their carrier.  They'd try to be something like 6-10 km away from their carrier along the path of the incoming strike, since this would maximize the time the strike had to spend in the escort's AA bubble when trying to reach the carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,976
[SALVO]
Members
19,923 posts
19,878 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you division with a DD such as a USN DD you can sort of create a synthetic Flint by giving Atlanta smoke in open water then spotting for it. USN Smoke typically is large sized and long duration meaning if your Atlanta is moving back and forth some while firing away at targets, it’s rarher hard to get a lock on it.

Advantage Flint has is no div needed, since you carry smoke with you, but think it does have shorter duration. Honestly I am considering Flint myself partially in response to the upcoming rework since a Smoked AA cruiser can be deadly asset to use against enemy aircraft. After all is that a DD or a CL that laid that smoke? That is the question CV players sometimes have to ask themselves. If they guess wrong and try flying over it, then they can pay the price heavily in planes.

This may seem like a dumb question, but in the rework, can CV torp bombers blindly launch torpedoes into smoke similar to how they can now with a manual drop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[SBS]
Members
3,780 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but in the rework, can CV torp bombers blindly launch torpedoes into smoke similar to how they can now with a manual drop?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
832 posts
10,704 battles

CV captains, if they want you dead, they will make it happen.  Smoke generator's do not block torpedo strikes.  I have heard the AA being still very strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
377
[WOLF6]
Members
870 posts
3,373 battles
36 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you division with a DD such as a USN DD you can sort of create a synthetic Flint by giving Atlanta smoke in open water then spotting for it. USN Smoke typically is large sized and long duration meaning if your Atlanta is moving back and forth some while firing away at targets, it’s rarher hard to get a lock on it.

Advantage Flint has is no div needed, since you carry smoke with you, but think it does have shorter duration. Honestly I am considering Flint myself partially in response to the upcoming rework since a Smoked AA cruiser can be deadly asset to use against enemy aircraft. After all is that a DD or a CL that laid that smoke? That is the question CV players sometimes have to ask themselves. If they guess wrong and try flying over it, then they can pay the price heavily in planes.

Yes a smoked AA machine could be very viable, main reason I asked. I like a [edited] on occasion fly over a Fletch...Gearing....Groz. I don't think the AA DDs would even be as potent as Flint. This is all assuming the CV pop does increase that the way it could. Funny that I think now I am inadvertently sprucing the Flint now as a troll against future CV players! I certainly don't mean to do that. Perhaps its one retribution that rework haters could indulge it really. Just tell me which ship to get! TELL MEEE!! :cap_rambo:

Edited by Sumwunskum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[RLGN]
Members
10,019 posts
19,417 battles
20 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but in the rework, can CV torp bombers blindly launch torpedoes into smoke similar to how they can now with a manual drop?

Basically it’s 100% manual attacks.

You could torpedo whales or rocket/bomb tuna if you were so inclined to do so; instead of attacking Reds.

I suppose griefers could Green-on-Green if they felt like it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,980 posts
2,412 battles
2 hours ago, Sumwunskum said:

It still seems that the CV rework will change the game quite a bit, be it for better or worse. Anyone believe the Flint would be an enjoyable and competitive choice obtained by steel through the coming campaigns/events? The other curiosity is how it truly compares to Atlanta (I know torps are more effective with their range etc) though the two ships seem to differ the most in either their smoke or radar consumable. Smoke has had its nerf and apparently one is on the way for radar. Is Flint worth the steel (still quite a rare commodity) over simply purchasing Atlanta?

Flint's bofors will give her better Self Defense. Atlanta has only 3 1.1" quads for close in beside the 20mm.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,405
[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,559 posts
8,217 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Basically it’s 100% manual attacks.

You could torpedo whales or rocket/bomb tuna if you were so inclined to do so; instead of attacking Reds.

I suppose griefers could Green-on-Green if they felt like it.

post rework it will be much easier to catch dds hiding in smoke, with torp drops, air squadrons can make multiple attack runs before having to return to Carrier. As for rockets, air sqaudrons can basically carpet bomb the entire zone of smoke.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[SBS]
Members
3,780 posts
2,408 battles

I think there are two main questions to think about.  First, thing to think about is will you enjoy the play style of the Flint/Atlanta?  These ships can be very difficult to learn how to play well for most people.  They are high priority targets that are super squishy.  If you aren't careful you'd just be giving free damage XP to the other team as they farm your poor positioning.  If you already know how to play smoke cruisers you can probably slip right into the Flint, the Atlanta is another story.  With the paper armor and short ranged, rainbow arc guns, positioning is key with these ships, even more so with the Atlanta.  Also, you need high skill commanders to get the most out of these ships.

The second thing to consider, how much do you value your steel?  You can buy the Atlanta and save the steel for another ship.  There have been some amazing sales on the Atlanta in the last year or so.  How knows, after the rework the Atlanta might be viewed as more viable ship and it won't see those kinds of deep discounts anymore???

Just now, Hurlbut said:

Flint's bofors will give her better Self Defense. Atlanta has only 3 1.1" quads for close in beside the 20mm.

I was going to mention this.  The Flint gives up a couple of gun mounts for the Bofors so it has better mid range AA.  Total AA DPM for the Flint is 224.2, the Atlanta is 176.8.  I'm not sure how the AA captain skills and modules will boost these in the rework when it makes it live.

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
377
[WOLF6]
Members
870 posts
3,373 battles
17 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I think there are two main questions to think about.  First, thing to think about is will you enjoy the play style of the Flint/Atlanta?  These ships can be very difficult to learn how to play well for most people.  They are high priority targets that are super squishy.  If you aren't careful you'd just be giving free damage XP to the other team as they farm your poor positioning.  If you already know how to play smoke cruisers you can probably slip right into the Flint, the Atlanta is another story.  With the paper armor and short ranged, rainbow arc guns, positioning is key with these ships, even more so with the Atlanta.  Also, need high skill commanders to get the most out of these ships.

The second thing to consider, how much do you value your steel?  You can buy the Atlanta and save the steel for another ship.  There have been some amazing sales on the Atlanta in the last year or so.  How knows, after the rework the Atlanta might be viewed as more viable ships and it won't see those kinds of deep discounts anymore???

I was going to mention this.  The Flint gives up a couple of gun mounts for the Bofors so it has better mid range AA.  Total AA DPM for the Flint is 224.2, the Atlanta is 176.8.  I'm not sure how the AA captain skills and modules will boost these in the rework when it makes it live.

Thanks for all the helpful replies...yummy +1s for all! Yeah I play Mino and Daring/Loyang (the DDs aggressively on caps and Radar Mino often) so I do enjoy getting shot at I suppose! I want peeps to expose themselves when going for those First Blood yum yums. Yes I also have a spare 14pt US cap sitting around playing with himself. Good point regarding the price of the Atlanta too. I was being perhaps cynical thinking they would remove it from the premium shop if they realise its more potent and the next time we see it its in a Xmas big mega super box. 

Edited by Sumwunskum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
807
[FML]
Members
2,450 posts
11,828 battles

I don’t have an Atlanta, but I do have a Flint. I wouldn’t underestimate the value of that smoke generator as it enables you to fight in open water in addition to islands. Radar isn’t helpful if you’re dead. 

I enjoy my Flint and have no regrets getting her. The other steel ships are so pricey I don’t have a prospect of getting them anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
Members
1,001 posts
12,761 battles

flint is a very fun ship for randoms.   but not as good as a say fiji/ belfast for t7 ranked.

flint has us DD smoke and 9km torps.  u can smoke back to back with a 10 sec gap for 10 minutes :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×