Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mlsbionic

Taking torps for the team.

15 comments in this topic

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,040 battles

So you're rolling along in game, you have torps coming at you and you're full Hp Mass, and your team mate just behind you is a half HP Bismark. Do you turn to miss knowing he won't in time, or do you take a torp or two to save him.

I take the torps if I can deal.

Am I wrong for doing that? If so Why?

What would you do and why?

Let's keep this topic friendly. Non friendly, or insulting will be reported.

This question came about after I did it and got berated awfully by a separate team mate, so I'm wondering if he was correct. Not about his language, just that I shouldn't have.

(Details: Secondary build Mass, 18 point captain with vigilence, conceal, manual fire control and advanced fire training.  and the target acquisition upgrade. So I see them early and have time to avoid. He was just starting to turn the wrong way, didn't catch them yet, would have been hit, just used a damage control party on fires. Decent player, we were barely up. Game was won by our team.)

Edited by mlsbionic
added detail
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,747 posts
8,658 battles

well, youve got full health, and probably a better Torpedo protection system, so no, i see no problem with taking torps that could have taken some big guns out of the match

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
863 posts
13,278 battles

Nothing wrong with helping a team mate, imo. Every situation will be different. Maybe you are helping out a very good player, someone who will be able to help turn the tide in your team's favor. But in my own admittedly limited experience I have observed that players caught in that sort of situation are often tater tots who will not only have no appreciation for your sacrifice (if they noticed at all) but will then go on to step into the next set of torpedoes or turn broadside to the Yamato. It's a tough call when you don't know the player you are considering taking unnecessary damage for. In general, I try to protect my own ship ahead of others on the (likely over-confident) belief that I am perhaps better able to help the team win than the average player.

All each of us can do in the situation is to analyze the facts at hand in far too little time and act accordingly.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

Members
22,302 posts
5,778 battles

TBH, it depends. My first instinct would be to save myself, so I'd have to override that.

But probably not, unless it was a case of losing that Tirpitz puts us dangerously close to a loss, points wise.

Having said that, if the match was close, and the Tirpitz in question was someone I recognised as an appreciably superior player, I probably would. (although with my luck, I'd do that, look around, and see the Tirpitz had anticipated the torps and started turning early, and they wouldn't have hit him anyway lol)

It's not a frequent scenario anyway, for me to take torps that would almost certainly hit the Tirpitz otherwise, I'd have to be a lot closer to a friendly ship than I like to be. Otherwise, if I'm in a position to eat them first, I can still dodge, and my early spotting should give him enough extra notice to dodge them also.

Edited by Skpstr

[ADR]
Members
43 posts
4,140 battles

Torpedoes are extremely punishing, they deal a lot of damage and you cannot recover much of it. Even if you save the Bismark from taking any torps, now you are both on half health, which means you both have to play more conservatively in order to maintain your healthpool until the later stages of the game when being aggressive on half health isn't a death sentence, if its already the late game and you need his guns in action more than you need X amount of health, then yes, I take the torpedoes on the chin and keep his guns in action, if its midgame or early game and taking those torpedoes means I can't support a push into a cap we need, no, the Bismark is just going to have to suffer to consequences of not knowing the WASD Hax.

• Cool 1

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,040 battles
16 minutes ago, Westo454 said:

Torpedoes are extremely punishing, they deal a lot of damage and you cannot recover much of it. Even if you save the Bismark from taking any torps, now you are both on half health, which means you both have to play more conservatively in order to maintain your healthpool until the later stages of the game when being aggressive on half health isn't a death sentence, if its already the late game and you need his guns in action more than you need X amount of health, then yes, I take the torpedoes on the chin and keep his guns in action, if its midgame or early game and taking those torpedoes means I can't support a push into a cap we need, no, the Bismark is just going to have to suffer to consequences of not knowing the WASD Hax.

Fair. That's about how I feel/go about it.

Beta Testers
1,607 posts
9,841 battles

The definitive, unquestionably accurate, and indisputable answer to that question is, "It depends."

First, you often don't know if your teammate will be able to avoid them or not and/or how many he will take.  As noble as it is, you may actually be taking unnecessary damage.  Second, a really good player taking substantial damage, damage that may come back to bite him later on, getting him killed in a situation he may have usually survived, is not necessarily a good trade when the person being saved is a weaker player who may just die anyway after taking another couple of volleys.

On the other hand, citadels will take maximum shell damage regardless of whether a great player or a weak player gets a citadel hit.  Likewise, the more guns in play, the more damage being done to the enemy team and the more targets enemy damage has to be spread out among.  Thus, neither is it necessarily a bad trade.

The bottom line is that there is no always right or always wrong answer.

If you are a team player, you have to sometimes make hard choices, whether it is to take damage you didn't have to take in order to save a teammate or to let someone die because you need to conserve your hit points knowing the battle is not decided yet.

It is a spur of the moment decision with no set rules.  Do what you think is right and best for the team.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

I don't trust my teammates, so know, I am not gonna lose my HP for a teammate that is just gonna probably squander his anyways. If its someone I know is good... maybe then.

[NFE]
Members
212 posts
2,908 battles

The only time I would take torps for a teammate is if I'm very low health and about to die, anyway. So the torp salvo does 2.5k damage to our team instead of 30k damage. I did recently take torps (not on purpose) and my hulk also took them, blocking them from a friendly BB. I told the guy he was welcome, and he acknowledged, but didn't give me karma. :Smile_sad:

[-WTP-]
Members
784 posts
3,667 battles

I guess a team is better with 2 damaged battleships that still have all their firepower than only one

Mass also has really good torpedo protection too

[PQUOD]
Members
1,687 posts
8,858 battles

To the OP you did the right thing. Quick thinking on your feet too. I believe out of instinct anyone hearing the torpedo alarm warning first instinct is to evade. Self preservation, it's natural, nothing wrong with being alert. However having the quick thinking to assess the situation and make that decision on the fly. Kudos to you sir. In WoWS terms, you just donated a kidney so your teammate could live and continue in the fight. :Smile_honoring:

and a +1 for your sacrifice

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles

Then there are the times all you see is a target, closing on a teammate; shoot and kill the thing, and get berated and reported for kill stealing...

...and people wonder why team play is so ‘what’s team play?’ sometimes... 😑

[TDRB]
Members
2,491 posts
7,229 battles
2 hours ago, mlsbionic said:

So you're rolling along in game, you have torps coming at you and you're full Hp Mass, and your team mate just behind you is a half HP Bismark. Do you turn to miss knowing he won't in time, or do you take a torp or two to save him.

I take the torps if I can deal.

Am I wrong for doing that? If so Why?

What would you do and why?

Let's keep this topic friendly. Non friendly, or insulting will be reported.

This question came about after I did it and got berated awfully by a separate team mate, so I'm wondering if he was correct. Not about his language, just that I shouldn't have.

(Details: Secondary build Mass, 18 point captain with vigilence, conceal, manual fire control and advanced fire training.  and the target acquisition upgrade. So I see them early and have time to avoid. He was just starting to turn the wrong way, didn't catch them yet, would have been hit, just used a damage control party on fires. Decent player, we were barely up. Game was won by our team.)

In Hermes I see ships dodge the torpedoes and allow them to sink the Ruan. Of course that is an loss.

No, you are not wrong.

My division mates & I do this often. We have repair party on BB's and can recover some of the damage. Saving a cruiser when a DD is around is a good idea as well.

Sign in to follow this