You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Torpedo Beats Tuesday - Battleships

9 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,243 posts
7,093 battles

HMS_Prince_of_Wales_and_HMS_Repulse_unde

*pictured - HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse led by HMS Electra while maneuvering violently to avoid torpedoes during the Battle of the Malacca Strait on 12/10/1941*

Which battleship in your fleet stands the best chance of surviving one or multiple torpedo attacks?

Despite being heavily armored, battleships are also vulnerable because of their size and speed.

The ability to minimize damage or maneuver through a torpedo attack is crucial to staying afloat and continue fighting for the Fleet.

Of the battlewagons at your disposal, which one has the best torpedo beats to live and fire away another day?

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." - John Paul Jones, US Navy

#torpedobeatstuesday

#anchorsaweigh

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,236 posts
10,899 battles

What are these torpedoes you talk about. :Smile-_tongue:

[WORX]
Members
3,270 posts
14,695 battles

Any tier 10 BBs. According to the numbers,  DD torp hit rate is very low compared to say other tiers. So yeah I say 10BBs easy to avoid torps

[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles

Depends on if you mean surviving the most Torpedo hits or surviving by avoiding being hit by the Torps in the first place.

Surviving the most Torpedo hits would probably be my Yamato since I took all 15 Shikaze Torps at once, close range to my Yamato’s Torpedo belt and survived it.

Avoiding the torpedoes in the first place by evading them would be any of my Hydro equipped BBs thanks to the fact if you can detect the torpedoes farther out, you have better odds of setting optimal path to evade the incoming torpedoes.

[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
5 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Any tier 10 BBs. According to the numbers,  DD torp hit rate is very low compared to say other tiers. So yeah I say 10BBs easy to avoid torps

That is quite likely thanks to how much Radar a tier X DDs sees as opposed to DDs of any other tier. After all even a tier 9 DD will still get to see some matches with tier 7 ships that usually lack radar which increases the odds the DD can sneak up to Torpedo targets. But a tier X DD only gets to see tiers 8-10 and that is where you encounter the most Radar.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,593 posts
8,217 battles

Anything French, Warspite and Vanguard, all very manouvreable. But if caught in a smartly executed tartan torpedo drop, that helps them little.

Members
702 posts
4,725 battles

In terms of ability to dodge torps, Warspite hands down. I think the Gulio Caesar is good at it to, but I'm not sure as I've never driven it.

Edited by Jiggiwatt

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles

Seems a comparison of rudder shift times would mostly tell the tale for BBs not hydro equipped.  Turn rates and Overall size would be a secondary factors (is you nose too long or is your  butt to wide to fit in the gaps? )

One advantage to the slow US BBs is they are generally short and nimble.

Edited by Sabot_100