You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Snowflakes: the optimal strategy

93 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
282 posts
4,731 battles

The goal is to win at least one game in every ship while event lasts. This will bring you the max amount of prizes. The problem though is that not everyone can play for several hours every day. So what is the optimal strategy?

First of all note that the game does punish you for being AFK so just starting and immediately leaving the match is a bad idea. But if you rush straight forward that's totally fine. You will even get spotting bonus and if you are in a DD you can drop some torps. Sure you can land some shells too. The faster you die the better because you can start another match right after that. Let other people carry. Yes, it's not quite what people expect but that's what WG pushes you to do--just YOLO. This is the optimal way to get as much coal as possible and that's what many people will do. Thank you WG for the amazing holidays!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 4

[FOXEH]
Members
1,465 posts
5,834 battles

You have like 5 weeks, a few a day if you have hundreds of ships should be sufficient.  

• Cool 4

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,754 posts
11,123 battles
4 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

The goal is to win at least one game in every ship while event lasts. This will bring you the max amount of prizes. The problem though is that not everyone can play for several hours every day. So what is the optimal strategy?

First of all note that the game does punish you for being AFK so just starting and immediately leaving the match is a bad idea. But if you rush straight forward that's totally fine. You will even get spotting bonus and if you are in a DD you can drop some torps. Sure you can land some shells too. The faster you die the better because you can start another match right after that. Let other people carry. Yes, it's not quite what people expect but that's what WG pushes you to do--just YOLO. This is the optimal way to get as much coal as possible and that's what many people will do. Thank you WG for the amazing holidays!

No... If you are concerned about getting it all done. The best strat will be to do all of the snow flake battles in coop.

• Cool 10

[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

Co-op.  Quick games hitting 5-6 a day will take 30 minutes.  I added up my current ships and should get about 40K coal after converting steel to coal.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

Yes, promote your team losing, to have more wins. That's a sound stragedy.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 7

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles

Your you could not be a sack of crap and just play co-op battles which are often five minutes or less and a virtually guaranteed win.  Honestly if you pull that I hope someone on your team in every one of those matches sends a replay to WG so you get the orange status you deserve.

• Cool 3

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
401 posts
3,317 battles

Do co-op.  Bots don't camp.  Their helmsdroids are more than happy to drive into your firing solutions.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
8 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Please note that if you get 0 XP for a battle, a Snowflake is not treated as "blown off" and remains on the ship.

NOTE: You have to win the game and the normal pink/orange rules apply. It is HIGHLY Discouraged to start a match, leave the match before you are dead and start a new match with a different ship to blast through all your ships. Leaving a match before you are sunk can and likely will result in a pink penalty. Too many pink penalties in a short time and you will turn orange. The amount of games you are pink/orange can ramp up very quickly. You can very likely rack up dozens of games of being orange and locked into Co-op in a very short time, so please just play out the battles. Wins in co-op count and are fairly easy to get, so just please play out the games. Co-op games tend to last 5-7 minutes on average, so they do not take long.

AFK'ing and starting a new match, even in co-op can get you orange with dozen of games you would be forced to play in co-op (to wipe off the orange) very quickly. Don't spam games thinking you will get steel/coal quickly. Just play the game as most co-op games are only 5-7 minutes long. Don't be a :etc_swear:, play it out. 

7 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

You have like 5 weeks, a few a day if you have hundreds of ships should be sufficient.  

Yes, the Snowflake event for Steel and Coal will run from early morning Dec 19th to early morning Jan 23rd.

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles
17 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

This would literally take you several hours a day for the entire window to get all your ships done.   Yolo and die is going to lead to so many more losses than if you just played, you are actually wasting time by not playing.   If one is in such a hurry, do it in coop.   But yolo suicide in randoms is a guaranteed loss 90% of the time.   So no, that isn't what this format is pushing, and if that is what you got from it, then you clearly have no understanding of the mechanics.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
9 minutes ago, FirestormMk3 said:

Your you could not be a sack of crap and just play co-op battles which are often five minutes or less and a virtually guaranteed win.  Honestly if you pull that I hope someone on your team in every one of those matches sends a replay to WG so you get the orange status you deserve.

That's what happened with the anniversary event. A lot of players ended up with some pretty hefty penalties to work off.

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles
Just now, MG1962 said:

That's what happened with the anniversary event. A lot of players ended up with some pretty hefty penalties to work off.

Good.  They earned them.

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles

This is one of the worst threads I have read in a very long time.

Please don't end up on my team.

• Cool 3

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,626 posts
14,824 battles

Thank goodness for you that karma doesn't matter. You might be rolling into the negatives with that strategy.

[STW-M]
Members
287 posts
8,267 battles

If you come to Co-op to knock off snowflakes please show a little respect to regular co-op players by sticking around, offing some bots (the red ones even if the green ones deserve it) and enjoy yourselves.

• Cool 4

[TBW]
Members
7,438 posts
13,600 battles

It seems, more than just suckers, are born every minute.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,740 battles
1 minute ago, slokill_1 said:

I just wonder if the rewards are the same for a coop game and a random battle.

Coal and steel rewards yes, you get a static reward for blowing off a snowflake based on the tier of the ship and whether or not it was a premium.  Naturally co-op rewards for credits and XP have always been substantially less than in random and that part is unchanged.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
1 minute ago, slokill_1 said:

Well if it's a low tier sip I don't usually play then coop it is.

If you have a lot of ships, I would just use Co-op to blow off the Snowflake on all of your ships. Most co-op games are 5-7 min long. You need a win to blow off the Snowflake and a 95% WR in co-op is easy. I'll have 167 qualifying ships, so even at 10 minutes per game average, that is 28 hours of playing from Dec 19th to Jan 22nd. So less than an hour a day and I will get all my qualifying ships done.

[DETN8]
Members
44 posts
18,414 battles

I've got quite a few ships that are eligible, but think its doable.  I'll play most high tiers, so the T8/9's will require some type of adjustment for sure, but I don't see this taking very long to be honest.

T10's=21

T9's=17

T8-10 Premium=26

[R-F]
Members
1,194 posts
7,860 battles

Ships I enjoy playing: Randoms until I get the win.

Ships I don't particularly enjoy playing, Tier 9s I'm re-buying but can't afford to deck out in proper modules and captains: coop.

So if any of you see an A-hull Iowa in coop in a few days, say "hi".

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
4,848 battles

Suffice to say, if I do all of the co-op snow flakes...and it's over a five week period...I could walk away with roughly 49,000 steel. 

That Stalingrad is MINE

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,318 posts
6,757 battles
1 hour ago, Nachoo31 said:

Snowflakes in the Political terms?

No, in the World of Warships sense.

1 hour ago, dimzzy said:

But if you rush straight forward that's totally fine. You will even get spotting bonus and if you are in a DD you can drop some torps. Sure you can land some shells too. The faster you die the better because you can start another match right after that.

Generally speaking, enough people are climbing over each other to get kills that if you take even ONE other ship with you, you will have done your bit in co-op. But a stupid YOLO rush that accomplishes nothing at all in enemy-ship-destruction terms can still throw it for your co-op team. Sometimes the bots are rabid, or sometimes everyone else is a derpmeister (especially if you're Snowflaking a low-tier premium), or sometimes there aren't enough humans to carry the load (and if you exit out as the only human, it gets recorded as a draw). So by all means, go for a glorious death charge, but make it count for something.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,754 posts
11,123 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Suffice to say, if I do all of the co-op snow flakes...and it's over a five week period...I could walk away with roughly 49,000 steel. 

That Stalingrad is MINE

49k steel is not possible in this event.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

That Stalingrad is MINE

Holy POOP! How many qualifying ships do you have? :Smile_amazed:

Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, in the World of Warships sense.

Generally speaking, enough people are climbing over each other to get kills that if you take even ONE other ship with you, you will have done your bit in co-op. But a stupid YOLO rush that accomplishes nothing at all in enemy-ship-destruction terms can still throw it for your co-op team. Sometimes the bots are rabid, or sometimes everyone else is a derpmeister (especially if you're Snowflaking a low-tier premium), or sometimes there aren't enough humans to carry the load (and if you exit out as the only human, it gets recorded as a draw). So by all means, go for a glorious death charge, but make it count for something.

Yeah, you yolo into co-op so you can win the game and move on to the next ship. Others are derping around or yolo too and now you lost that co-op game and have to go back and try again.

For those of you plannin on yoloing. Don't be a :etc_swear:, just play out the games in co-op instead of yoloing!