You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mlsbionic

Friendly Fire Torpedos

182 comments in this topic

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles

Anything in () is an edit for clarity or added explanation, etc.

I've run into this situation a two times (Exactly two times, for the trolls and meanies.) with long range torpedoes and was wanting some outside perspective.

Launch torps at intercept path for ship from Atago/Mogamis. Announce that "m launching and to where. Any ships that could turn, usually just the one I call them out and let them know. I got a Wilco! and ok thanks, fire.(Edited for specific responses, for exact clarity)

Launch. They go, no team-mate ships to be effected.

Then that DD or cruiser decides to turn 180* and head across the path, hitting them at 6-9 Km into their journey. (Not assuming it's on purpose)

As soon as I see them turning I chat their name and ship and where the torpedoes are coming from (Direction, side they are coming at them from, etc). I honk my horn, lighting me up to the enemy, I do everything to help them avoid them. Now reminder, this is after I let them know pre-launch and got a response acknowledging, etc.

Apologize and if they get mean just ignore them. (One was nice about it, the other was very very mean)

Now, for the hard cores out there who just say, "Your torpedoes are your responsibility no matter what." We get it, you don't think anyone should have to pay attention to team-mates torpedoes, especially you, you're special.

Now for everyone else my query is as follows:

Should WG change the punishment process for something like this? I'm thinking work into the violation code an outside of 6 Km it takes effect.

When you get back to port, the popup will ask if you want a review of the penalty. A simple yes/no. 2 games pink if you just take it per normal, and 10 games co-op only if you take it and are found to be completely in the wrong.

However, if you did something along the lines of the above^^^^, no violation.

Thoughts?

(Let's be clear here, the question is not who is to blame, or what mean insults or things you can say. So if you have a constructive answer or response, please share. And no crud they're my torps my fault. We're discussing the level of fault and should the metric be changed if you're really trying to do it right and stuff happens.)

Edited by mlsbionic
People are mean.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,567 posts
13,975 battles

If this happens so often that you want to lower or remove penalties for your own careless throwing of torpedoes, you might have a problem.

I'd be fine with them increasing the penalties, instead of reducing them.

• Cool 14
  • Boring 1

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

If this happens so often that you want to lower or remove penalties for your own careless throwing of torpedoes, you might have a problem.

I'd be fine with them increasing the penalties, instead of reducing them.

Did you not read the situation all the way through? Did you see me write anywhere about how frequently it happens? You're one of the "Special" ones aren't you.....

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Beta Testers
659 posts
7,901 battles

"Your torpedoes are your responsibility." Is 100% true.  People do pay attention in battles but just because they are not looking at chat, or didn't see your torps until they were within 5km or less, doesn't make them the bad guy.  I too have screwed up and misjudged and hit friendlies.  But I own up to it, it was my fault.  I have turned pink once when a Iowa turned back at a BB I was targeting.  I apologized and they were cool about it.  From there I just washed my pink cloths in Co-Op until they were white again.

Point is that I see far too many people doing the following:

a. Firing through groups of ships knife fighting

b. Not understanding their torps range and firing at enemies they can't ever hit .  But there are plenty of friendlies around.

c. Firing from behind friendlies.  The #1 issue for bad torpers

By what you said OP, you tried to warn them, so good on you.  But you have to accept responsibility for those dumb little fishes when you release them into the world.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
373 posts
9,454 battles

I'm going to have to say it's your fault, whether or not you give your teammates a warning.  You're assuming they're paying attention to chat and see your warning (lots of people rarely look at chat).  You have to take into account that ships maneuver a lot, so it's irrelevant if any teammates were in the path of the torpedoes when you launched them.  

I pay attention to what my teammates are doing for the most part, but when things start getting hectic I could easily miss such a warning and when I'm under fire and maneuvering I really don't want to have to worry about torpedoes from my teammates. Basically, I've always agreed with "you launch them, you own them" or however you want to word it.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,567 posts
13,975 battles
2 minutes ago, mlsbionic said:

Did you not read the situation all the way through? Did you see me write anywhere about how frequently it happens? You're one of the "Special" ones aren't you.....

I did read it all the way through. Apparently it happens often enough that you deem fit to write a thread requesting for the penalties to be reduced.

No need for personal attacks.

Accidents happen. And when they do, owe up to them and take your lumps like you've got a pair instead of whining for reduced penalties for your own choices and actions.

• Cool 8

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
Just now, Lert said:

I did read it all the way through. Apparently it happens often enough that you deem fit to write a thread requesting for the penalties to be reduced.

No need for personal attacks.

I said a few. Usually a few is 3. It's happened twice, so there's you actual frequency. So, metrics wise insignificant.

[-BRS-]
Members
2,545 posts
15,796 battles

If you are firing torpedoes from behind you must be super vigilant you own them doesn't matter if you call out your intentions or not

Reason why there's penalties in the game Is to limit your torpedo lanes and restrict torpedo Spam, Which I'm OK just because you can launch them every so often does it mean you should

[WOLFG]
Members
4,510 posts
2,510 battles

I am not hardcore (I play only coop).

No.  They should not change it.

That player may have to change course.  He may have to run like Brave Sir Robin.  The time frame may be so long he may have forgotten.

He shouldn't have to worry about the enemy and you.

• Cool 1

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
2 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

"Your torpedoes are your responsibility." Is 100% true.  People do pay attention in battles but just because they are not looking at chat, or didn't see your torps until they were within 5km or less, doesn't make them the bad guy.  I too have screwed up and misjudged and hit friendlies.  But I own up to it, it was my fault.  I have turned pink once when a Iowa turned back at a BB I was targeting.  I apologized and they were cool about it.  From there I just washed my pink cloths in Co-Op until they were white again.

Point is that I see far too many people doing the following:

a. Firing through groups of ships knife fighting

b. Not understanding their torps range and firing at enemies they can't ever hit .  But there are plenty of friendlies around.

c. Firing from behind friendlies.  The #1 issue for bad torpers

By what you said OP, you tried to warn them, so good on you.  But you have to accept responsibility for those dumb little fishes when you release them into the world.

You should remove this comment, as it does not apply to tthis topic nor does it answer the query. I wrote a very specific situation. The person knew, acknowledged that they knew that I launched and where before a minute later turning in. So.....

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
3 minutes ago, RenamedUser_1001278837 said:

I'm going to have to say it's your fault, whether or not you give your teammates a warning.  You're assuming they're paying attention to chat and see your warning (lots of people rarely look at chat).  You have to take into account that ships maneuver a lot, so it's irrelevant if any teammates were in the path of the torpedoes when you launched them.  

I pay attention to what my teammates are doing for the most part, but when things start getting hectic I could easily miss such a warning and when I'm under fire and maneuvering I really don't want to have to worry about torpedoes from my teammates. Basically, I've always agreed with "you launch them, you own them" or however you want to word it.

Again same. Specific situation in which the team-mate effected acknowledged the torps being launched, etc, then later turned in. Does not answer the query.

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I am not hardcore (I play only coop).

No.  They should not change it.

That player may have to change course.  He may have to run like Brave Sir Robin.  The time frame may be so long he may have forgotten.

He shouldn't have to worry about the enemy and you.

Thank you, appreciate the input. I didn't think about forgetting.

Members
2,837 posts
5,852 battles

@MisBionic your missing the whole point as MANY have pointed out. ITS YOU who is responsible whether you wrote a paragraph of warnings or not. Its YOU who is NOT seeing what is in front of you. Its YOU who took a risk and ate the BIG ONE.  The Solution is VERY easy. LOOK Around and see if there is a RISK..If any Don't SHOOT.  Thats what everyone does...SO get with the program and stop whinning. 

Edited by dionkraft
  • Cool 2

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
4 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

If you are firing torpedoes from behind you must be super vigilant you own them doesn't matter if you call out your intentions or not

Reason why there's penalties in the game Is to limit your torpedo lanes and restrict torpedo Spam, Which I'm OK just because you can launch them every so often does it mean you should

Again same. Specific situation in which the team-mate effected acknowledged the torps being launched, etc, then later turned in. Does not answer the query. 

[-BRS-]
Members
2,545 posts
15,796 battles
5 minutes ago, mlsbionic said:

To tell you the truth I don't always look at team chat as much as I should many times I'm very focused on the battle in front of me life-or-death dodging in-and-out,  And even if I see that you fired torpedoes from behind I may lose track and wander into the path.

I have learned from my own mistakes and be super careful of were and when I launch torpedoes and you too must learn this to

Games not gonna change for you

you must change for the game  It's really a simple as that

If their team mates in front of you that might intersect your path don't fire them

Edited by silverdahc

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
Just now, dionkraft said:

LOL1 MisBionic your missing the whole point as MANY have pointed out. ITS YOU who is responsible whether you wrote a paragraph of warnings or not. Its YOU who is NOT seeing what is in front of you. Its YOU who took a risk and ate the BIG ONE.  The Solution is VERY easy. LOOK Around and see if there is a RISK..If any Don't SHOOT.  Thats what everyone does...SO get with the program and stop whinning. 

How does this answer the query? The question at the end. This in no way answers it.

Members
2,837 posts
5,852 battles
Just now, mlsbionic said:

How does this answer the query? The question at the end. This in no way answers it.

The answer you speak does not exit but in your mind..but its clear to everyone else...GOT IT?

Members
22,452 posts
5,792 battles

I see no reason to change it. Unless you are doing it way too often, all you do is turn pink.

Also, TK damage is handled by an automatic system. The review you describe would need actual WG people to review it, and I think a lot of people would be convinced it wasn't their fault, and go to the review.

They use an automated system to avoid needing extra staff in the first place, because they cost money.

If somebody gets sunk by your torps, that and all it entails is their punishment for not seeing your torps.

Edited by Skpstr

[BOTO]
Members
373 posts
9,454 battles
1 minute ago, mlsbionic said:

You should remove this comment, as it does not apply to tthis topic nor does it answer the query. I wrote a very specific situation. The person knew, acknowledged that they knew that I launched and where before a minute later turning in. So.....

Just now, mlsbionic said:

This isn't what you stated in your original post.  If you're claiming that the ship that eventually ran into your torps specifically acknowledged that they were aware that you launched then there is some blame to hold on their part.........depending on why they turned.

To answer your question "Should WG change the punishment process for something like this? I'm thinking work into the violation code an outside of 6 Km it takes effect."

I would have to answer with NO.  For one thing I'm pretty sure this would be something that could only be handled after the fact which would be time consuming for everybody involved.  You made it clear in a response to @Lert that this rarely happens and therefore you should just live with the violation and move on.  If the very rare violation bothers you that much.........then don't launch torps in that situation.  Simple.

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

To tell you the truth I don't always look at team chat as much as I should many times I'm very focused on the battle in front of me life-or-death dodging in-and-out,  And even if I see that you fired torpedoes from behind I may lose track and wander into the path.

I have learned from my own mistakes and be super careful of were and when I launch torpedoes and you too must learn this to

Games not gonna change for you

you must change for the game  It's really a simple as that

I understand your point, but this doesn't answer the question. Also, if I'm taking the time to announce where, direction, specifically calling out the one off chance player, I think I'm being pretty careful. I bet I'm going more than you or the normal player does. Wait, I know I am because I've never seen another player go as far as I do with warnings, etc.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,567 posts
13,975 battles
2 minutes ago, mlsbionic said:

Specific situation in which the team-mate effected acknowledged the torps being launched

So which happened first? Did he acknowlege the torpedoes before you launched them? Or did you launch them before he acknowledged them? Judging by your OP, you launched them before you warned, and you warned before he acknowledged, meaning that you have a habit of launching torpedoes from behind teammates.

That's ok. That habit will solve itself eventually.

• Cool 2

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
2 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

The answer you speak does not exit but in your mind..but its clear to everyone else...GOT IT?

No you just don't want to participate in the discussion I'm trying to have. You're trying to make it how you want it. Answer the question or please leave my post. thank you.

[SBT]
Members
94 posts
4,041 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I see no reason to change it. Unless you are doing it way too often, all you do is turn pink.

Also, TK damage is handled by an automatic system. The review you describe would need actual WG people to review it, and I think a lot of people would be convinced it wasn't their fault, and go to the review.

They use an automated system to avoid needing extra staff in the first place, because they cost money.

It wouldn't be too hard to write code to automatically judge the query. I understand the point about staff though, it's a good point.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,540 posts
14,692 battles

Announcing only works if the player affected CONFIRMS!!!  "Hey JoeBlowDD, I'm launching down the 3 line to your right...OK"?  Before launch, I have to receive an OK from JoeBlowDD.   Otherwise, I hold.

NEVER assume an announcement is heard or understood.

Otherwise, if you want to avoid FF, you must either hold fire or launch on a vector that cannot be dynamically intercepted by any friendly.  If a friendly cannot dynamically intercept a launch, it is IMPOSSIBLE to hit a friendly.

In reality, there is a tradeoff.  That's part of the game.  Does the potential benefit outweigh the risks?  This is where launching within dynamic range of friendlies becomes a factor.  It's a decision that only comes with experience.  But one thing is certain.  The shooter owns the FF.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
2,545 posts
15,796 battles

Simple answer if there's somebody in front you that's  A team mate don't fire torpedoes you own them you own the button that pushes the torpedoes off your ship

If you TK them doesn't matter what they do it's your fault Don't fire torpedoes from behind