You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
icehaddock

Have you seen change in your WR since 0.7.11? (Win rate ramble)

30 comments in this topic

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
119 posts
6,519 battles

Hi Guys,

Didn't think I would write this post but I've become so frustrated with the game since 0.7.11.  Of course it could all be a coincidence but I still need to to get out my frustration as well as find out if there is a possibility that something changed with matchmaking algorithm as of 0.7.11

I'm an average+ player  Played 4000+ games for 3 years.  My early past sins kept my winrate low but as of about 1 year ago, I finally started to understand game mechanics and became map aware.  Throughout last year my win rate started creeping upward and last 9 month my average monthly winrate was in the high 50's (~57-58%).  And this allowed my overall winrate in Random to finally break 52%.  I broke 52% just before 0.7.11 hit and then everything fell apart

For the last 21 days and 103 battles, my winrate is 38%.  Night after night after night I lose more than I win.  Some nights are brutal as in 0 win in 9 or 10 games.  I'm not playing any differently.  I'm still killing ships. I'm still challenging caps and I'm still creating damage, I'm still reading the enemy moves correctly.  it is just that my team melts away.  Either right from the get go or it throws the game and lately I have seen too many times 8 ships occupying 4 squares on a map and giving the enemy map control. This happens in tier 8 and tier 9 and even tier 10 gameplay  (^*(&()&*(*)&%$^#^%

Ok after all the ramble...... :(  here are some questions to my fellow captains.

1. Do you know if Matchmaking algorithm takes into account player strength when putting together teams. 
  2. Is it possible that because I broke briefly the 52%win rate that MM puts me now in higher category with more weaker players.  Basically I'm now expected to carry the team.  Basically I'm not good enough for my current rating so I deserve to be taken down a notch
  3. Do you know if Matchmaking algorithm changed as of 0.7.11
  4. Do I just need a break

I am personally leaning towards 4.  I have probably spent too much money on this game.  Was planning to spend more this Christmas ..... But I'm just not having any fun playing anymore except Clan Battles . Tired of being the last man standing on the losing side night after night. I think I need a new game and put my time and money elsewhere for awhile

[NGAGE]
Members
3,071 posts
8,073 battles

My WR is slightly lower in the past 21 days than it was in the 21 days prior to the recent patch, too.

Probably because I have played almost 1/2 solo games and have a lower winrate in solo during that time than my overall WR apparently :Smile_sad:

[YORHA]
Members
4,019 posts
6,982 battles

1) The general consensus is no.  Only WG knows for sure.

2) I had the exact same experience, but again the general consensus is no.  Only WG knows for sure.

3) Other than trying to fix tier VIII MM probably not but only WG knows for sure.

4) Just keep playing and forget about WR.  Focus on your performance.

Ps:  Status ruin the all fun in this game.

Edited by JCC45

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
562 posts
5,924 battles
3 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

The general consensus is no.  Only WG knows for sure.

2) I had the exact same experience, but again the general consensus is no.  Only WG knows for sure.

3) Other than trying to fix tier VIII MM probably not but only WG knows for sure.

Same experience here.. I want to think it's because the player base is getting more competitive. And even in my own clan, CB has made a very positive impact in terms of swaying and culturing a competitive attitude within the clan mates.

Beta Testers
1,229 posts
15,123 battles
29 minutes ago, icehaddock said:

Hi Guys,

Didn't think I would write this post but I've become so frustrated with the game since 0.7.11.  Of course it could all be a coincidence but I still need to to get out my frustration as well as find out if there is a possibility that something changed with matchmaking algorithm as of 0.7.11

I'm an average+ player  Played 4000+ games for 3 years.  My early past sins kept my winrate low but as of about 1 year ago, I finally started to understand game mechanics and became map aware.  Throughout last year my win rate started creeping upward and last 9 month my average monthly winrate was in the high 50's (~57-58%).  And this allowed my overall winrate in Random to finally break 52%.  I broke 52% just before 0.7.11 hit and then everything fell apart

For the last 21 days and 103 battles, my winrate is 38%.  Night after night after night I lose more than I win.  Some nights are brutal as in 0 win in 9 or 10 games.  I'm not playing any differently.  I'm still killing ships. I'm still challenging caps and I'm still creating damage, I'm still reading the enemy moves correctly.  it is just that my team melts away.  Either right from the get go or it throws the game and lately I have seen too many times 8 ships occupying 4 squares on a map and giving the enemy map control. This happens in tier 8 and tier 9 and even tier 10 gameplay  (^*(&()&*(*)&%$^#^%

Ok after all the ramble...... :(  here are some questions to my fellow captains.

1. Do you know if Matchmaking algorithm takes into account player strength when putting together teams. 
  2. Is it possible that because I broke briefly the 52%win rate that MM puts me now in higher category with more weaker players.  Basically I'm now expected to carry the team.  Basically I'm not good enough for my current rating so I deserve to be taken down a notch

I am personally leaning towards 4.  I have probably spent too much money on this game.  Was planning to spend more this Christmas ..... But I'm just not having any fun playing anymore except Clan Battles . Tired of being the last man standing on the losing side night after night. I think I need a new game and put my time and money elsewhere for awhile

Play these ships more.......

these.JPG

[-BRS-]
Members
2,493 posts
15,728 battles

I've been having great days and bad days

About the same as normal

Flying solo can be hit-or-miss but if I division with some teammates lot of times I'll be pushing 80-90% wr

Edited by silverdahc

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
629 posts
5,577 battles

Mine hasn't moved cause I've taken a short break. But since the 7.11 patch I haven't noticed a major change in my win rate it's sits at around 56 and has pretty much stayed there.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,511 posts
14,640 battles
  1. No. 
  2. No.
  3. Probably not, but if so it would be a small tweak.
  4. See note below.

Note:  Whenever you get three loses in row, take a break.  Also, switch tiers and ships.

Also note that any lose (or win) will move your accumulated WR by only 0.025%.  It's a two edged sword.  The more you play, the less a loss hurts your WR....but the same applies to how much a win will help it.

Recognize that even if you win 60% over the next 4000 games, that will move your WR from 52% to 56%.  

Don't get too wrapped up in the overall win rate...or even win rate over a hundred games.  Look at your last 1000 games.  That's enough games for the rough spots to even out, and far enough out to shred the days you were clubbed as a seal.  If you see bad trends over the last 1000 games, then you probably need a break.  If you're doing better than your overall average....the last 100 games is just a phase.    

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts

lol, just another proof win rate is not about you, you only count for 1/12th +- pocket change, it's the MM that's win rate god that dictates if you win or lose, so don't take win rate too seriously, instead focus on something like damage which is what you can control 100%

Edited by Happy668

[RE]
[RE]
Members
81 posts
2,714 battles

Mine has fallen as well since 7.11 dropped,  but I also just bought a Des Moines and haven't figured the ship out.

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
119 posts
6,519 battles
15 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

lol, just another proof win rate is not about you, you only count for 1/12th +- pocket change, it's the MM that's win rate god that dictates if you win or lose, so don't take win rate too seriously, instead focus on something like damage which is what you can control 100%

If MM is truly random, then solo Win rate would be KPI (key performance indicator).  Good team players carry more and thus influence the game more and thus have higher WR

If find focusing on damage is selfish.  A player who focus on damage rather than the game objective often causes his team to lose and thus less XP and credit earnings for his teammates

[RKLES]
Members
8,925 posts
10,828 battles

Last 21 days would include Thanksgiving break, some weekends, Clans Wars which would affect Random battle quality since many veteran players play clan battles), and now we are in Christmas vacation. So increased amount of time off school in last 21 days...

I could be wrong and it could be a MM change last 21 days for you, but I more like think it’s my above theory as to why.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts
3 minutes ago, icehaddock said:

If MM is truly random, then solo Win rate would be KPI (key performance indicator).  Good team players carry more and thus influence the game more and thus have higher WR

If find focusing on damage is selfish.  A player who focus on damage rather than the game objective often causes his team to lose and thus less XP and credit earnings for his teammates

damage win games, kill more red ships than losing your own, most of the time you win the game. yeah capping matters, but kill>cap. of course some player will argue about repairable damage blah blah, if they want to nick pick everything then i don't have the time nor desire to argue

Members
89 posts
8,847 battles

My WR has tanked over the past 2 weeks.   I'll take some of the blame as I learn 3 new ships lines (RN CL, RN DD and PA DD), and I make my share of mistakes.  But it isn't all me.  I've had a huge increase in detonations (was one every month to now a nightly occurrence), there are more bots playing, and some truly awful team play out there.  Its like weekend play every day, with some unbelievably bad plays, like DDs that refuse to cap ("I'm afraid of capping" said one DD), IJN that refuse to use guns (Kagero at full health destroyed by a Benson at 900 hp), or yolo rushes for no reason (full health Baltimore that just needs to live 1 minute for a win.... yet rushes a FDG and dies).  Its downright depressing that after I finish my initial objective, to look up and see we've lost half the team already.  What happened on the other cap that cost us half the team?  

Edited by robotdaddy
Added last statement

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
510 posts
21,764 battles

When I want to win I can usually. When I want to use a ship and learn its strengths and weaknesses I don't really care about my win rate. Please see below. At the end of the day its just a game.

Have a great day and Merry Christmas to you all!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,275 posts
10,908 battles
2 hours ago, icehaddock said:

Hi Guys,

1) The MM only factors ship type and tier.
2) WR goes up and goes down even for the unicums, roll with it.
3) No
4) Quite likely, as you said in the beginning of your post you are getting frustrated and I know from experience that is not when you should be playing. You don't necessarily need to leave the game for your break. You can drop down to the lower tiers, you can go play co-op, but most of all you need to relax your mind as far as the game is concerned.

[KSD]
Members
901 posts
5,279 battles

It is the season of clan battles and you will see a lot of players that dont regularly play WoWs just be active for CBs. this includes potatoes and unicums.

also since I see that you play most during night time, thats when CB are generally going on, and clan members to bide some time to accomodate rotation in CBs make divisions and random battle. they heavily turn the tide of the battle if theyre slightly competent.

I think  I was playing with a stressed out mind the past couple of days (lots of travelling, no sleep etc etc) it affected my gameplay a bit. made mistakes, and on top of that most of my team just wanted to suicided, so not great teams either. most of the win, I had to carry

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,734 posts
11,087 battles
All Ship TypesDestroyerCruiserBattleshipAircraft Carrier 1 Day 7 Days 30 Days 837 Days All
 Warships Today Rating  747 -0  1,269 +0  1,250 +1  1,226 -8  1,234  
 Battles 1   56   361   5,502   8,684  
 Win Rate 0.00% -0.006% 66.07% +0.068% 58.17% +0.109% 55.40% -0.443% 55.65%  
 Average Damage 38,460 -1 64,902 +92 65,057 +621 54,834 +7,081 50,739  
 Average Experience 902 -0 1,897 +2 1,777 +9 1,610 +87 1,559  
 Survival % 0% -0.0% 59% +0.1% 52% +0.3% 44% -2.2% 45%  
 Average Kills 0.0 -0.00 0.9 -0.00 0.9 -0.00 0.9 -0.08 1.0  
 Average Plane Kills 5.0 +0.00 0.3 -0.01 0.8 -0.02 1.1 -0.30 1.2  
 Kills / Deaths 0.0 -0.00 2.3 +0.00 1.9 +0.01 1.6 -0.22 1.7  
 Average Tier 9.0 +0.00 8.3 +0.01 8.2 +0.06 7.4 +1.10 6.8  

[ADPT2]
Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

damage win games, kill more red ships than losing your own, most of the time you win the game. yeah capping matters, but kill>cap. of course some player will argue about repairable damage blah blah, if they want to nick pick everything then i don't have the time nor desire to argue

Damage is just part of the overall picture.  You can do 10,000 points of damage to 7 different ships and that's far less effective than someone that does 70,000 damage to 1 ship because the ship that took 70k is likely dead where the 7 that took 10k apiece may not even have had a sizable dent taken off their totals. Any one part of the equation in isolation does not tell the whole story.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,925 posts
10,828 battles
2 hours ago, robotdaddy said:

My WR has tanked over the past 2 weeks.   I'll take some of the blame as I learn 3 new ships lines (RN CL, RN DD and PA DD), and I make my share of mistakes.  But it isn't all me.  I've had a huge increase in detonations (was one every month to now a nightly occurrence), there are more bots playing, and some truly awful team play out there.  Its like weekend play every day, with some unbelievably bad plays, like DDs that refuse to cap ("I'm afraid of capping" said one DD), IJN that refuse to use guns (Kagero at full health destroyed by a Benson at 900 hp), or yolo rushes for no reason (full health Baltimore that just needs to live 1 minute for a win.... yet rushes a FDG and dies).  Its downright depressing that after I finish my initial objective, to look up and see we've lost half the team already.  What happened on the other cap that cost us half the team?  

Yeah just like in tanks when weekends or holidays arriv II often suspend hazardous ship or tank grinds. Also use the more OP vehicles at my disposal with full knowledge I may have to carry the team.

And yes it is shocking how many people can lack the will or perhaps intelligence to win. I will gladly take slightly less damage on my score if it will mean a win, especially when wins pay far more than doing a last ditch suicidal act to get a few more damage points in. And losing have the team to 1-2 enemy ships or tanks has happened more times than I care to think about. Sometimes people on your team just die off too quickly for you to even carry them, since only so fast your weapons can possibly load

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
119 posts
6,519 battles

Thank you all for good input and replies.

The consensus appears to be that the MM is the same and the reason for my demise with WR is either because a)My frustration is affecting the quality of my gameplay.  b) CB season means more division play and I am to unlucky ending up with the wrong teammates

To rectify my situation is to a) play at different times b) stop grinding during this holiday season and only play the ships that I already know , c) play more in division myself

Thank you all and merry Christmas!

Edited by icehaddock

[BS]
Members
1,378 posts
7,635 battles

Look at this crap, my average winrate week to week was 55-60% for months... it just tanked right around the patch, been crappy for weeks now. The match making patent Wargaming has says something about making it harder for the player if they win too much so they don't get bored. Phff, nice excuse, they just don't want you advancing too fast and losing out on money from you (like grinding with special signals, won't need as many). I've been playing my Vanguard and Jean bart which have those 25 200% xp boost personal missions, hmm.

image.thumb.png.b9bdec36b0fda019d6fdd7bca2b721b2.png

Edited by HorrorRoach

Members
1,801 posts
9,372 battles

Mine WR spiked up slightly immediately after the patch.

earlywin.thumb.jpg.df8af2e01fa87f95465dbc6d93899895.jpg

Past week or so, it took a nose dive. But this was due to starting 4-5 new ships. And the tech tree ones being stock. Also playing DDs again. So I need to get reacquiatned with DD play and just in general feel out the 4-5 new ships Im playing now.

lateloss.thumb.jpg.f33e9595626965d8de4aea7ddea831a0.jpg

I can pretty much maintain a 60% solo win rate now adays. To exceed 70%+ I would probably have to actually division for once.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

Members
1,801 posts
9,372 battles
1 minute ago, TwoLate51 said:

I'm a potato you all cuss at me in games but I'm getting better.

Tryiing to get better, that's all I really can ask for in my teammates. Good work sir.