You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

PSA: Snowflakes for coal.

46 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles

The amounts have been posted up by others elsewhere, but I felt that it was worth drawing your attention to the following:

A Tier 5 tech-tree ship will bring a one-time payment of 300 coal and a Tier 6 tech-tree ship will bring in 400.

This is no more than you would get out of playing to 2000 XP on one night and choosing "more resources". i.e. with one good random battle immediately upon login, you could guarantee as much coal as one of these ships would bring.

This is something you should consider before spending free XP or credits on unlocking or re-purchasing a T5 or T6 ship solely for this event. No, I wouldn't let it stop me if I were that close to getting the Musashi for coal and a few more T5 ships would help me across the line. But you have to consider for yourselves whether the credit expenditure is worth it for your circumstances.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

For people with more time than sense it's a gold coal mine though.

Oh yeah, if I were sitting on more credits and FXP than God and I had nothing better to do with them, I'd be going for broke. But for those with not that many credits in their bank and already looking nervously to acquiring their next tech-tree ship up the line, it's worth tipping them off that it might not be worth blowing a million credits for a drop in the bucket.

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,474 battles

Well when the news of a collectors club went around I began buying back all the ships I have earned because I thought it might lead to special sales or ships for collectors. Turns out the collectors club will rain coal and steel on its members without being a official club.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,158 posts
14,281 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh yeah, if I were sitting on more credits and FXP than God and I had nothing better to do with them, I'd be going for broke. But for those with not that many credits in their bank and already looking nervously to acquiring their next tech-tree ship up the line, it's worth tipping them off that it might not be worth blowing a million credits for a drop in the bucket.

I am in a serious credit crunch do to my grind to get all the DD lines done. I had almost 200 Million when I started but now as I close in on the end (3 to go / 1 at T8 and 2 at T9) I am down to under 10 Mill. If I had all those extra credits now I would rebuy a lot of ships for the coal and steel. I don't so I can't LOL. I will sell off some I have that I only kept for this event and use those credits to help finish the DD grinds which will net me more Steel as a byproduct. For a Co-op main getting Steel when I can is big as I want the T10 French Bb. Might never get there but every little bit is a step closer.

Good PSA though because it is not worth a player bankrupting themselves for a little Coal or Steel at the expense of their credit reserves and tech tree progression (especially if they are a Co-op main like me where credits are hard to come by). I am at the end game so if I go broke it is fine. I have almost nothing left to buy anyway outside of a couple DD's (expensive ones though - ouch!).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah I am going to pretty much sit tight. See where I am with coal and steel. If I am close to something I want in the Arsenal I might buy a ship or two to get me there. Otherwise it will just be business as usual lol.

But as you said there is plenty of coal to be had through the daily containers.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

it is not worth a player bankrupting themselves for a little Coal or Steel at the expense of their credit reserves and tech tree progression.

Yeah. I free-XP'd past the Izyaslav last night and blew a million-ish on Podvoisky so I have very few credits left, but OTOH I now have another ship that's eligible for dailies and I have progressed up the tech tree. So from that viewpoint it's worth it.

I bought Omaha and Nicholas back not long ago when they were half-price, and if I sell them I will probably get my money back (especially since I've played a few games in each in between), so there's that.

I need to take a holiday from acquiring new tech-tree ships. I ground all the way up to Emile Bertin without buying upgrade modules or retraining captains, I'm so damn broke at the moment. No more until after I grab Dreadnought and I can afford to let the Dailies go to hell. Fortunately, the PEF quest (if I complete it) should provide plenty of opportunity for credit grind missions (especially in that last phase), so there is that, and depending on how much of Mighty Prinz I get done, I may even grab a few duplicate ships. There won't be much time for that, but fortunately I have everything except Hatsuharu already in port, and out of those, only Nurnberg currently does not have a permacamo. So I am not missing out on very much if I fail there.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles

If you have the +5% Coal and/or +5% Steel Clan building(s) then you will get this.

Coal

Tech tree ships T5 get 315 Coal per Snowflake

Tech tree ships T6 get 420 Coal per Snowflake

Tech tree ships T7 get 787 Coal per Snowflake

Tech tree ships T8 get 1,050 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T2-T4 get 315 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T5 get 420 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T6 get 525 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T7 get 1,050 Coal per Snowflake

Steel

Tech tree ships T9 get 52 Steel 

Tech tree ships T10 get 105 Steel

Premium ships T8-T10 get 210 Steel

Steel Monsters gives 4,200 Steel.

In the Name of His Highness gives 2,100 Steel.

Nerves of Steel PEF only campaign gives 2,120 Steel.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

If you have the +5% Coal and/or +5% Steel Clan building(s) then you will get this.

Assuming of course that clan bonuses count. In any case, I have taken the pessimistic position here for those who aren't in clans at all.

We will find out one way or another tomorrow. :Smile_coin:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,158 posts
14,281 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah. I free-XP'd past the Izyaslav last night and blew a million-ish on Podvoisky so I have very few credits left, but OTOH I now have another ship that's eligible for dailies and I have progressed up the tech tree. So from that viewpoint it's worth it.

I bought Omaha and Nicholas back not long ago when they were half-price, and if I sell them I will probably get my money back (especially since I've played a few games in each in between), so there's that.

I need to take a holiday from acquiring new tech-tree ships. I ground all the way up to Emile Bertin without buying upgrade modules or retraining captains, I'm so damn broke at the moment. No more until after I grab Dreadnought and I can afford to let the Dailies go to hell. Fortunately, the PEF quest (if I complete it) should provide plenty of opportunity for credit grind missions (especially in that last phase), so there is that, and depending on how much of Mighty Prinz I get done, I may even grab a few duplicate ships. There won't be much time for that, but fortunately I have everything except Hatsuharu already in port, and out of those, only Nurnberg currently does not have a permacamo. So I am not missing out on very much if I fail there.

I am in that going from T8 to T9 and T9 to T10 range on the last 3 DD's. It's 20-30 Million +/- to buy them, upgrade them, and fully equip them - EACH! Oh to have ships that cost a million or less again. LOL 

I am so broke. BUT, once they are done I have nothing left to buy until a new line comes out so I will have time, hopefully, to rebuild credits (hello...Missouri...hello...fire up the boilers and mount the flags boys). Plus I have a few T8 and T9 DD's I don't like that I will sell once the snowflake thing is done for them which will help a lot. Only reason I still have them.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

nothing left to buy until a new line comes out

British carriers in late January. Missouri's got some work to do.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,158 posts
14,281 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am not a CV player. The current gameplay is not my thing. Not sure the new rework is either. A new line for me is  BB, Cruiser, or DD.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The CV rework is coming out on Update 8.0 on Jan 23rd. UK CVs may very well come out later.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
20 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am not a CV player. The current gameplay is not my thing.

It wasn't mine either - I'm not a multitasker and I know it - but my nine-year-old wanted to see me play carriers (I should let him have a few more goes before the rework drops) and I figured it was worth it to understand things from the CV player's perspective. So I free-XP'd to the Langley and then to the Bogue (the latter so that my dabbling could contribute to the Cossack and Dreadnought campaigns) and I seem to do sort of alright in co-op. Part of me is going to miss the RTS variant; the other part knows that the multitasking CV unicums would eat me alive at higher tiers and in randoms. At least with what's coming, they as well as I will be obliged to do only one thing at a time.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,158 posts
14,281 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It wasn't mine either - I'm not a multitasker and I know it - but my nine-year-old wanted to see me play carriers (I should let him have a few more goes before the rework drops) and I figured it was worth it to understand things from the CV player's perspective. So I free-XP'd to the Langley and then to the Bogue (the latter so that my dabbling could contribute to the Cossack and Dreadnought campaigns) and I seem to do sort of alright in co-op. Part of me is going to miss the RTS variant; the other part knows that the multitasking CV unicums would eat me alive at higher tiers and in randoms. At least with what's coming, they as well as I will be obliged to do only one thing at a time.

I have tried it a couple times but due to my MS (vision issues, some issues with my hands, and at times it takes longer for the brain command to reach those hands than I like LOL) playing the current CV just wasn't doable outside of training room. The last time I tried it both gams I hit a friendly with torps because I couldn't see the friendly green icon on the CV UI map. So I just stopped. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So I just stopped. 

Fair enough, and good reasons. Sorry to hear things are that bad for you.

I used to wonder how the hell anyone could possibly get team damage in a CV without manual attack. Until the day I actually did it. :Smile_teethhappy:

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,733 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Coal

Tech tree ships T5 get 315 Coal per Snowflake

Tech tree ships T6 get 420 Coal per Snowflake

Tech tree ships T7 get 787 Coal per Snowflake

Tech tree ships T8 get 1,050 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T2-T4 get 315 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T5 get 420 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T6 get 525 Coal per Snowflake

Premium ships T7 get 1,050 Coal per Snowflake

Steel

Tech tree ships T9 get 52 Steel 

Tech tree ships T10 get 105 Steel

Premium ships T8-T10 get 210 Steel

Steel Monsters gives 4,200 Steel.

In the Name of His Highness gives 2,100 Steel.

Nerves of Steel PEF only campaign gives 2,120 Steel.

Let's see 

Tech Tree:

T9: 20 X 52 = 1040

T10: 21 X 105 =  2205

Premium:

T8: 15 x 210 = 3150

T9: 4 x 210 = 840

Steel Monster: 4200

In the name of his Highness: 2100

Nerves of Steel:  2120

Total: 15655

Difference: 2100 - 15655 = 5345

Am I right that you can run the Highness and  Nerves of Steel at the same time if you buy PEF?

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Fair enough, and good reasons. Sorry to hear things are that bad for you.

I used to wonder how the hell anyone could possibly get team damage in a CV without manual attack. Until the day I actually did it. :Smile_teethhappy:

You can do it with auto-attack as well. In fact in a co-op game the Langley CV driver attacked a DD coming right at him and ate two of his own torps! :Smile_teethhappy:  Got the bot DD tho. :Smile_izmena::Smile_honoring:

[INTEL]
Members
1,393 posts
10,071 battles

Play a ship and hock it (sell it).  Use credits to buy a new snowflake. Play it then sell it.  Buy back hocked ships when you can afford it.

Also, go into your Inventory and sell off any unneeded consumables, hulls and upgrades.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
3 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Am I right that you can run the Highness and  Nerves of Steel at the same time if you buy PEF?

You'll have the ship; I don't see why not.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
4 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Let's see 

Tech Tree:

T9: 20 X 52 = 1040

T10: 21 X 105 =  2205

Premium:

T8: 15 x 210 = 3150

T9: 4 x 210 = 840

Steel Monster: 4200

In the name of his Highness: 2100

Nerves of Steel:  2120

Total: 15655

Difference: 2100 - 15655 = 5345

Yes, if you buy PEF instead of earning it in the Highness campaign, then you can start the Mighty Prinz campaign and Nerves of Steel missions early. If you go ahead and complete the Highness campaign and earn PEF after you have bought it, you get 6,800 doubloons which is right around $30-31.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/gold/1209/ 6,500 doubloons is $29.79 right now in the shop.

Edit: Earliest you can earn the PEF is Jan 9th when Directive IV drops.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,474 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Play a ship and hock it (sell it).  Use credits to buy a new snowflake. Play it then sell it.  Buy back hocked ships when you can afford it.

Also, go into your Inventory and sell off any unneeded consumables, hulls and upgrades.

You're right and this is what this thread is about. Since if a person does as you suggest they sell the ships back for half the credits they spent on it effectively losing half their credits. Is this worth it for small amounts of coal that can be earned easily probably not.

[INTEL]
Members
1,393 posts
10,071 battles
Just now, Mainerd said:

You're right and this is what this thread is about. Since if a person does as you suggest they sell the ships back for half the credits they spent on it effectively losing half their credits. Is this worth it for small amounts of coal that can be earned easily probably not.

It's worth considering if you are credit poor but not FXP poor.  I suspect there's a minority of people that are in that situation.  Even then they have to be OK with burning through the FXP just for coal.  Not a good deal, but a method to get a ship for coal that's not available for FXP.