You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Invisi-fire with Cleveland

9 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,769 battles

I have a base Cleveland with 50% retrained captain with CE, and my post fire detection range is 14.2 km now, which matches the baseline fire director's range. Taking another 10% off this number (adding a CE Module) gets the post fire range down to 12.78 km. Then there is another 6% on the CE captain skill to reach, which takes it down to 12.01 km. With a long range fire director at 15.6 km, there is about 3.6 km of invisi-fire buffer, which seems DD like. So I'm not sure about these values.

Add in the 20% spotter range (no radar), and the resulting temporary 18.72 km gun range, and the invisi-fire buffer is close to 7 km.

Again, this seems excessive, so would appreciate someone with the ship decked out as above advising.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,979 posts
2,721 battles

Detection after firing is the same as gun range, no matter what that range is. If you change your range, your detection changes. Open water stealth firing is technically impossible now.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,455 posts
13,904 battles
12 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Open water stealth firing is technically impossible now.

Excepting rare cases when kiting something just outside your gun range or abusing island waifus - but the latter isn't really OWSF.

However, what you said about detection ranges is true. The detection radius is your gun firing range at the moment you fire, whether this is modified from stock by upgrades, modules or a spotter being active. Your gun bloom is equal to your firing range when firing.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,979 posts
2,721 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Excepting rare cases when kiting something just outside your gun range or abusing island waifus - but the latter isn't really OWSF.

The kiting mechanic is why I qualified the statement. The situation has to be just right for that to work, and usually it only works for a few salvos. Some DD players are the master of it though.

BTW, that is a cool insignia the Supertesters have there.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,455 posts
13,904 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

BTW, that is a cool insignia the Supertesters have there.

Right? I only have the middle one, there's a more elaborate one with additional colors that the truly dedicated STs get.

Beta Testers
1,606 posts
9,841 battles
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:56 AM, AJTP89 said:

Open water stealth firing is technically impossible now.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, AJTP89 said:

The kiting mechanic is why I qualified the statement.

"Technically," your qualification is inaccurate in a way.  Prior to the change, only certain ships were able to get enough concealment modifiers that their detection after firing range was still lower than their maximum gun range, thus, allowing a small buffer where they could fire in the open, hit a target, and that target could not see them.  It was only possible for a select number of ships because, for most ships, the detection after firing range increase made is so that, no matter how low you got your concealment, your detection after firing always exceeded your maximum gun range.  That increase was also enough that most ships could not even make use of the kiting mechanic to do so.

The Open Water Stealth Firing change did, indeed, make it impossible to get any ship's base concealment low enough to open water stealth fire because your detection range after firing now always equals your maximum gun range.  On the other hand, that same change made it so that no ship in the game has a detection after firing range that exceeds their maximum gun range.  And therein lies the irony because that, in turn, means that every ship in the game can now use the kiting mechanic to fire in the open without being detected.

Thus, while the change did eliminate the most convenient way to do it for those few select ships that could make use of that mechanic, it actually made it so that any ship could do it by kiting, including those for whom even that was impossible before the change.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,138 posts
17,505 battles

Ahh, the days of Stealth Fire.  I still remember being in a Stock, Pre-Buff Colorado getting tag-teamed by a Zao and Ibuki.  Good times! :Smile_teethhappy:

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles
On 12/18/2018 at 2:46 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ahh, the days of Stealth Fire.  I still remember being in a Stock, Pre-Buff Colorado getting tag-teamed by a Zao and Ibuki.  Good times! :Smile_teethhappy:

That's the real olden times, lol. Unless you were rocking the fail div. Akizukis were the worst opponent with stealth fire. Could just spam you to death from what was it...8km? Something ridiculously close.