You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GrimmeReaper

Have You Ever on Purpose Taken The Torp (Been the Meat Shield) for Your Div Mate?

21 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
1,746 posts
12,115 battles

I think title is self explanatory.  I did the other day, and why you ask, cause my div mate is better than me, and him being a live saved the game, so I made sure to eat a couple.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,556 posts
10,398 battles

No but I shoot him to trigger AR.

I have more faith in my Div team mate than my entire team, so I'm confident he can dodge  torps

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

Not in Randoms but have done it in Ops to save the green bots that must survive.

[FML]
Members
2,463 posts
11,867 battles

I have taken torps for a random friendly - it rare that I am in the right position and have sufficient awareness, but if I'm in a UK CL or something with excellent healing, and the BB behind me is low HP, I'll eat a torp to keep him alive - prolly done it about 4 times in 10k battles or whatever. 

The exception is if the BB has been whinging or otherwise border humped the whole battle being useless - in which case obviously my HP is more valuable to try and force such a team to win despite their best efforts to throw the battle.  

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
845 posts
13,962 battles

Yes few times, but usually noébody appreciate it. It looks you are a fool and catch one and your team mate avoid it. He ll never know you take one for him so he stays alive with more hp.

[RLGN]
Members
719 posts
5,732 battles

Not for a div mate, but a couple rare times where torp soup was coming and I was near dead I ate it for a nearly full health ship nearby.  Once had a destroyer with less than a hundred hp park in front of the two torps that were gonna hit my Yamato once - made sure to give compliments.  Of course on the flip side I have used the slowly sinking hulks of allies and enemies alike to limit my torp exposure.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,522 posts
13,924 battles

My div mates are meat shields for me.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
804 posts
4,640 battles

I've done it in CB before however, one of my teams DD's ate a salvo from Montana for me which kept me alive after the end of a really close game back in season 2. That won us the game.

[-SF-]
Members
277 posts
3,635 battles

Did a few nights ago in my Massachusetts, was at full health and the cruiser I shielded was below half. Only took the one torp though. 

[ARRSE]
Members
73 posts
1,048 battles

I've done it two or three times for a CV in randoms - those occasions when a DD has got all the way through to the CV and just wont die to gunfire.

I can't recall ever getting thanks for it, though. Probably because so many CV players completely lack situational awareness around their own ship.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,850 battles

In randoms maybe once or twice.  But the last time.......

There I was in my Mino sitting in smoke lobbing shells close to a contested cap when all of a sudden I am being ping'd by what I suspect is Hydro. I pop my hydro and full speed ahead to get out of there.  No ships close to me, and I eat a volly of shells that get almost half my HP.  I hit heal and see inbound torpedoes, another volley of shells, GD Des Moines, and there fast reload gets me below 20%.  torps and DM shells, the outcome is inevitable they only question is which will get to me first.  I reverse my rudder, turning my broadside to meet my fate head on and to catch just one more torp that was going to get the BB on the other side of me. 

The BB understood what I did, thanked me and gave me a +1 Karma.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,421 posts
2,416 battles

I did it in coop in a game where there was just me (Wyoming) and a CV player as human.  Bots that can see both go for the CV over a BB.

[H_]
Members
1,906 posts

Yes, as a member of a division from the clan.  In the Yammy, the division often uses the Yammy for just that purpose being on the opposite side in an echelon moving into secondary ranges.....  A Yammy can take a lot of torps and it's secondaries range beyond the 10K average ranges.......  We won't do that if the bad guys what 12 or 20K torps though and you know that up front usually......  Put a Yammy and a Bismark together in a staggered echelon and anything at 10 K gets sand blasted pretty well...  Add an Atlanta or any other high speed gun boat in the echelon and it's a lot of fun sawing through a cap..... 

Beta Testers
1,535 posts
9,492 battles

It's happened a couple times - once simply because they had more health, once because it was a race to cap each others cap point, and the few points I had were less important than the ship about to get torped.  That is - him getting hit meant a loss, me getting hit just made it a bit closer.

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles

A few times.   Once I was down to 22 HP in a bottom tier Cruiser and intentionally ate 8 torps for our T10 BB (who went on to carry the team to victory).   But it has to be earned.

[S0L0]
Members
1,047 posts
5,606 battles

Not regularly, but often enough it's not really remarkable, either.

If one torp is going to kill me, may as well eat all of them and protect the other players, and sometimes damage sat kicks in and I survive crazy things like an entire Minotaur torpedo stream...

Matt

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,513 posts
14,648 battles

Several times unintentionally...only one time that I can remember where it was a sacrifice move.