Sign in to follow this  
donaldEpott

Float Plane Recovery

9 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
5,012 posts
11,255 battles

I think he is implying a ship should have to come to a complete stop to recover its float plane, or lose it.

[KAPPA]
Members
713 posts
5,628 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I think he is implying a ship should have to come to a complete stop to recover its float plane, or lose it.

Here I was imagining skipping your cooldown for picking it up.

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles

If the OP wants to go all IRL for float planes, no captain in his right mind is going to have a gassed up aircraft on his ship when the shooting starts. Your own guns would likely blow it up. It would certainly obstruct lines of fire for many ships. You launch it or dump it. But this is a game. Of course they do only seem to put a Big Gulp worth of fuel on each plane since they can only stay airborne for a few minutes...

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,178 posts
3,846 battles

The video shows the typical method for ships of the WW 2 era.

They put a Hein mat in the water.  This is for the float plane to drive itself onto where hooks on the float hook the mat and will then tow the plane with the ship.  The mat was a German invention.

The ship then either turns some at low speed like the one in the video, or steams into the sea (the direction of the waves) to create a calm wake for the plane to taxi up to the ship on.  The plane then hooks the mat.

Once the plane is hooked, a crane lowers it's line and the plane is attached.  It is then hoisted aboard.

The ship is in "restricted maneuvering" while recovering the plane.  That is, it can't change course or speed much during the process.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,235 posts
17,583 battles

I remember reading in "Japanese Destroyer Captain" the author mentioning an early war incident that caused great concern for the Japanese.  They had been fighting an ABDA force (American British Dutch Australian).  Earlier in the engagement orders were given to launch some catapult aircraft to aid in the effort.  The fighting happened and the ABDA force withdrew.  The IJN force commander then orders it was time to recover the aircraft.  The CA that was doing the recovery process was stationary.  All the sudden one of the other ships alerted the rest that the ABDA force was back.  The ABDA force never really withdrew because all they were doing were some very erratic maneuvers.  There was a lot of fear.  Their CA was stationary and the process was very long for recovery, and they were about to enter a surface engagement again.  The ABDA force was defeated still and the IJN CA doing the plane recovery got very lucky.

Modder, Beta Testers
1,576 posts
2,652 battles

My grandfather served on a LCI in the South Pacific.  He rarely talked about the war but one time I was building a OS2U scale model and told me of the time a battleship was a little careless and catapulted its spotter plane right at his ship.  The Kingfisher managed to avoid crashing full into the LCI but it did clip the mast, my Grandfather hit the deck "like an extra coat of paint."

[PNG]
Members
4,564 posts
11,890 battles
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:31 AM, Shoggoth_pinup said:

What question? You never actually asked one.

The  question that I imply is just how recovery is done. I know that it was asked several times back in beta and I was just posting this to show how it was done. No I am not implying that it should change anything in game.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this