You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Iowa Vs Missouri

30 comments in this topic

Members
332 posts
6,903 battles

I have the Iowa and have never really clicked with her in terms of play style. Discounting the massive credit earning of the MM does the fact that she has a radar really effect how the play style enough to make her a much better ship to play then the Iowa? Seems to me that if you don't like the Iowa then the MM plays pretty much the same with just an added radar

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
41 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

... does the fact that she has a radar really effect how the play style enough to make her a much better ship to play then the Iowa?

If anything the radar encourages you to move in closer, where she is more vulnerable. The radar can have an effect on the match when used right, but it's still mounted on an Iowa hull.

41 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Seems to me that if you don't like the Iowa then the MM plays pretty much the same with just an added radar

Yup.

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
715 posts
5,649 battles

Honestly? If I could slap a spotter plane on Mo, I'd be happy. I mostly use her in co-op, and with the BBvsDD nerf, her radar is a wee bit pointless unless you use it really well. Like, I mean premeditated loli smashing levels of well, with your guns trained right and HE loaded, which basically requires expert loader on John Doe/Halesy to do in a timely manner. Spotter at least lets me see over islands better so as to blast those poor cruisers, where as radar is useless in most battles I actually use her in, what with AI sucking at using smoke.

That said, she also has better frontal cit armor, if memory serves.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 1

[KEGEL]
Members
163 posts
7,252 battles

Credit earnings, radar & consumables aside, the Mo is a little bit better than the Iowa on several points;

better rudder shift @ 0.1

Better AA @ mid range, 317 vs 302dps.

Better armour on the fore & aft citidel plates (368 & 297 vs 287 & 216 on fore. 368 & 16 vs 287 & 16 on aft)

Mo has 38mm on the upper torp belt, Iowa has 32mm.

Mo also has slightly different hidden stats on the gun dispersion. Can't tell you if it's worse or better tho.

Mo does lose out on HP & short range AA (176 vs 195dps)

Edited by SlightlyComatose
Error RE armour thickness.
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,369 posts
17,682 battles

If one didn't like how Iowa played, Missouri isn't really different outside of her Radar.

Someone long ago, when Missouri was about to be pulled from the game for purchase, asked if he should get Mighty Mo.  He let it be known right away he hated Iowa.  As expected, everyone in his thread told him to go for it, talking about the valid virtues of Missouri.  Me?  I was the only one in that entire thread that told him not to.  Missouri is nice, Missouri's got Radar, but she doesn't play fundamentally different than Iowa outside of that Radar consumable.  If the OP hated Iowa, he wasn't going to like Missouri.

He went and got Missouri.  And he hated it.

What a surprise.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 2

[TBOW]
Members
1,755 posts
12,135 battles

Question is does it fit your play style?  If you can answer yes to that it might be right for you.  Now I ask this why do you hate the Iowa?  I did not enjoy Iowa for the few few game, it yet different front from North Carolina, which I enjoyed.  You need to think ahead when time permits what are you going to do next, do I need to disengage/go gun silent?  What I did come to appreciate was the Stealth those 2 can achieve, not as good as the NC, but still for such a large ship.  Iowa is not for everyone, and everyone plays a bit differently.

[O_O]
Members
5,020 posts
11,294 battles

I have up to North Carolina.  As soon as I could afford her, I got Missouri.  For a couple of reasons, I HAD to have her (credit earning potential, history of the ship, my home state).

I enjoyed North Carolina, and I enjoy Missouri.  Even though I have Iowa researched, I have yet to buy her.  That is primarily because I am always starving for silver, even with Missouri and several other high credit ships.  I don't run premium time and I am grinding several lines...and Tier 9s and 10s are friggin' expensive!

Even though I enjoy NC and MO, the rest of the USN BB line is low on my priority list.  Mainly because the next ship IS Iowa, and to grind through her I will be playing basically the same ship as Missouri but without the credit assistance.  I'll get to it eventually, but as I said, having Missouri really took away any urgency.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That said, she also has better frontal cit armor, if memory serves.

Yeah, she does. In a way that won't matter in 95%+ of games.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,369 posts
5,824 battles

The MO radar's real usefulness took a hit with the smoke fire nerf. Having a US dd smoke you up for a minute and a half meant you could push in more aggressively, since you could see out with radar but no one could spot you. With the smoke nerf it's a lot more situational. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,219 posts
14,367 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I have the Iowa and have never really clicked with her in terms of play style. Discounting the massive credit earning of the MM does the fact that she has a radar really effect how the play style enough to make her a much better ship to play then the Iowa? Seems to me that if you don't like the Iowa then the MM plays pretty much the same with just an added radar

They play identical if you take radar out of it. The very minor differences they have mean very little in actual game play outside of Missouri being able to bow tank slightly better. As another player mentioned if I could swap radar out for a spotter I would. I prefer that part of Iowa over Missouri.

It's the credit printing that makes Missouri so different. You can earn 1 Million + with it even in Co-op. It is the thing that makes it different. Some people think Missouri is OP/more powerful than Iowa and it just isn't outside of situational radar use.

If you played Iowa, like it, and do well in it then Missouri will be a good fit. If not it won't as HazeGrayUnderway said.

I love Iowa and really enjoy it. But, I have Missouri as well so why would I play Iowa when I can play the same basic thing that is a Premium? I can use any Capt I want on Missouri and the credit earning is just leaps and bounds better. I still play Iowa now and then but 95% of my T9 US BB play is Missouri.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You can earn 1 Million + with it even in Co-op.

If you stack premium time, creditboosting camo, all the credit boosting signals and play a damn good game. Don't expect to rake in 1m on mediocre matches without stacking bonuses.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,219 posts
14,367 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

If you stack premium time, creditboosting camo, all the credit boosting signals and play a damn good game. Don't expect to rake in 1m on mediocre matches without stacking bonuses.

I have made 1 million + on mediocre games in Co-op but with credit boosting flags yes and premium time. The point is it is capable of it where as I have yet to even sniff that figure in any other premium or tech tree ship. It's 500-600K without all of the flags and such which is still darn good.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The point is it is capable of it where as I have yet to even sniff that figure in any other premium or tech tree ship.

My point was that just saying she can do it without saying it's with a lot of boosters creates false expectations.

7 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It's 500-600K without all of the flags and such which is still darn good.

Well, yes, the single best credit earning ship in the game makes darn good credits, yes.

Missouri can make millions of credits. If you put enough effort into her and massage the odds with flags, camos, premium time, etc. But it's not like millions just start raining down whenever you press battle, regardless of circumstances. She's the best credit making ship in the game, but even then, she's only a little bit ahead of other options like Musashi, Kronshtadt or Kobayashi equipped Roma or Kii. Missouri makes more than those, yes, but not heaps and buckets.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,219 posts
14,367 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

My point was that just saying she can do it without saying it's with a lot of boosters creates false expectations.

Well, yes, the single best credit earning ship in the game makes darn good credits, yes.

Missouri can make millions of credits. If you put enough effort into her and massage the odds with flags, camos, premium time, etc. But it's not like millions just start raining down whenever you press battle, regardless of circumstances. She's the best credit making ship in the game, but even then, she's only a little bit ahead of other options like Musashi, Kronshtadt or Kobayashi equipped Roma or Kii. Missouri makes more than those, yes, but not heaps and buckets.

:Smile_sceptic:

Ok Lert. 

Man you are a prickly dude always looking for a fight.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

:Smile_sceptic:

Ok Lert. 

Man you are a prickly dude always looking for a fight.

Or, I wish people to be informed about what they're asking about and not have false expectations leading to disappointments and whine threads.

But, sure, make this personal. Sure.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,219 posts
14,367 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Or, I wish people to be informed about what they're asking about and not have false expectations leading to disappointments and whine threads.

But, sure, make this personal. Sure.

LOL it's the way you post man. You are very ornery and you remind me of the old guy sitting on his porch yelling at all the kids to get off his grass. You also are a self admitted troll at times. Never know when you are trying to be helpful or trying to be Lert. :Smile_glasses:

And FWIW I just had this mediocre Missouri game. Yes, I have PT and I used flags and camo (the French event ones that give +30%) to boost credits. Was still a 407K+ base credit game for an average game at least by my games in the ship. Flags and camo's are much easier to come by these days then they were where when I started so I don't think it is unreasonable to say a lot of players with Missouri will have flags and camo to help boost the credits. And again this is in Co-op. This would be well over 2 Million in PVP. 

PR5B3kE.jpg

jDzvSCx.jpg

liB3wkC.jpg

uOSjg4v.jpg

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

LOL it's the way you post man. You are very ornery and you remind me of the old guy sitting on his porch yelling at all the kids to get off his grass. You also are a self admitted troll at times. Never know when you are trying to be helpful or trying to be Lert. :Smile_glasses:

I am definitely ornery, grumpy and a troll. I admit that, 100%.

I try to be helpful a lot of the time. But I don't need to try to be Lert, that just comes natural.

Nice game, btw. I'd be interested in seeing the 'credits and XP' tab of the post-battle results, to see how the credit earning is calculated for this match.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,219 posts
14,367 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

I am definitely ornery, grumpy and a troll. I admit that, 100%.

I try to be helpful a lot of the time. But I don't need to try to be Lert, that just comes natural.

Nice game, btw. I'd be interested in seeing the 'credits and XP' tab of the post-battle results, to see how the credit earning is calculated for this match.

I don't have the SS with the tab open to show the break down, and it is too late to get it sorry, but as said it was 407K base credits and then it's 712K+ with all the boosts. I do have the base SS though and will provide below.

I know it takes a lot of boosters to do it but the game itself was one anyone could do in Co-op and if you have the PT, flags, and camo these results are not hard to get. This makes Co-op game #6 in Missouri where I exceed 1 Million. Most is 1.3 something. Got a lot of 700-900K ones too.

VoovzkD.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
19,369 posts
17,682 battles
13 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

And FWIW I just had this mediocre Missouri game. Yes, I have PT and I used flags and camo (the French event ones that give +30%) to boost credits. Was still a 407K+ base credit game for an average game at least by my games in the ship. Flags and camo's are much easier to come by these days then they were where when I started so I don't think it is unreasonable to say a lot of players with Missouri will have flags and camo to help boost the credits. And again this is in Co-op. This would be well over 2 Million in PVP. 

1000+ BaseXP games in Co-op are exceptionally rare.

Hell, 800 BaseXP games are already very rare.

It's because Co-op is done so quickly that the true averages are much, much lower and it gets cut even less when you got more players on the team.  I have had matches finish in 3 minutes 38 seconds.  Others typically finish in 4 minutes or barely past 5.  With players, everything dies so quickly that people often are lucky to get 300, 400 BaseXPs through no fault of their own and every bit of aggression trying to get kills / damage / caps.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,570 posts
13,983 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't have the SS with the tab open to show the break down, and it is too late to get it sorry, but as said it was 407K base credits and then it's 712K+ with all the boosts. I do have the base SS though and will provide below.

Nah this is fine, thank you. It really shows how much of a difference all the boosters make, more than doubled the base income. Me asking for that screenshot is more about drawing attention to the relative amount the modifiers from signals and camos boosted the income by than the actual totals. To me this is part of WoWS's problems - high tier play is too profitable with all the bonuses, flags and camos WG keeps throwing at us.

I'm primarily a PvP player and, while admittedly a whale with a lot of premium ships, am sitting on 700m+ without ever really actively pursuing credits. Hell, I have 1038 Zulu signals sitting in my inventory and I think the only reason they're on like 2 or 3 of my 124 ships is because I'm too lazy to remove them.

Making it trivially easy to earn credits in high tiers when stacking the appropriate modifiers leads to a lot more end tier play, which is part of the cause for all the complaints about T8 play - and now WG is left scratching their heads how to make T8 encounter T10 less.

But that's just me pontificating on a problem not related to the original post and question in this thread. Shows why they stopped selling Missouri though - they woefully misjudged the credit coefficient on her, and now it's way too late to change it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,219 posts
14,367 battles

Back to back although admittedly the 25K credits for the daily mission thing is what pushed it over. Would have been a little better game but I slid out of the cap (hard to stop Missouri fast LOL) right as I was about to take it. Just went for the CV at that point to end it.

I for one am glad we have these camo's and flags available. As a Co-op main they are a huge help in a mode that pays so poorly. These 2 games aren't even running my Gamesco camo's I hoard and sweat and groan when I use them LOL

55e6s5R.jpg

L8ZpQV3.jpg

bh49bdC.jpg

vnrxC3m.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,290 posts
10,126 battles

I feel we both play about the same. The radar can encourage certain behavior but we both handle the same.

[TBOW]
Members
1,755 posts
12,135 battles
5 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

The MO radar's real usefulness took a hit with the smoke fire nerf. Having a US dd smoke you up for a minute and a half meant you could push in more aggressively, since you could see out with radar but no one could spot you. With the smoke nerf it's a lot more situational. 

See I never played her like that.  I prefer Stealth, and getting up to the range of a smoke cloud and going surprise, especially to Cruisers that like to hide in smoke.  There is something to being able to for lack of better term, pull someone's shorts down.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,782 posts
11,127 battles

Iowa is getting a better heal in 7.12. Does not look like Missouri gets it. So there is that.

also better rudder shift.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,369 posts
17,682 battles
2 hours ago, paradat said:

Iowa is getting a better heal in 7.12. Does not look like Missouri gets it. So there is that.

also better rudder shift.

The buffs are only for the Tech Tree USN BBs III-IX, not the Premiums, not even Montana in Tier X gets them.

Hell, originally in the DevBlog WG was going to do it only for the A-Hulls but then decided to implement more when it rolled out in PTS.