You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Attention BBs!

33 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,374 posts
5,428 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Get in there and do some close-in brawling; it's fun!

But it might scratch the paint! We can't have that.:Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 2
  • Boring 3

[RLGN]
Members
10,106 posts
19,503 battles
1 minute ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

The DDs on the red team approve this message.

Except the AP changes are meaningless when battleship secondaries are ripping into destroyers at 10k+, (Here’s looking at you Mammie,) and doubly so when battleships actually hunt destroyers who are too aggressive for their own good.

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,002 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

shot-18_12.17_21_44.01-0299.thumb.jpg.11de2ba3be939b7e0d530044a9742b72.jpg

Not for everyone.

[KAPPA]
Members
714 posts
5,649 battles
12 minutes ago, Bianchi4Me said:

I'm game to try it.  What's the best tier 5 or 6 tech tree BB to use as a platform for a secondary gun build?  

Anything before T7 wouldn't be able to get much out of manual secondaries, making a secondary build largely pointless. And even then, I'm not sure if the tech tree gets good secondaries till T8, and even then just on the KM BBs. The others catch up at T9, though, if memory serves. Thus, the best at T5 and 6 are, in all likelyhood, not gonna be very good. Maybe if you close the distance into extremely close ranges, but the range just isn't there yet.

That said, if one ignores the tech tree part, Mutsu's torps might compliment such a thing very nicely. And if one goes even lower you have Mikasa at T2 and Ishizuchi at T4, both of which having pretty nasty secondaries, assuming you get in range.

However, a wild guess at the best secondaries on a tech tree T6 BB would be Bayern, though I don't remember them being especially noteworthy.

Although, maybe Kongou at T5 might do the job. Regardless of what secondaries she may or may not have, she has speed others lack, making getting in that range extremely doable.

Members
2,143 posts
1,247 battles

Tier V

Konig: 22 guns - range 4.5km
Kongo: 22 guns - range 4km
New York: 6 guns - range 4km
Iron Duke: 20 guns - range 4.5km
Bretagne: 30 guns - range 4.5km

Can't go wrong with Konig (for the armor advantage while brawling) or Iron Duke or Bretagne for shear firepower. Kongo is hard to get into range...and your armor scheme can be punished by an enemy captain who knows how to snipe citadels at close range (you won't run into these often at this tier). New York should not be specced for secondaries.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,347 posts
17,682 battles
19 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Anything before T7 wouldn't be able to get much out of manual secondaries, making a secondary build largely pointless. And even then, I'm not sure if the tech tree gets good secondaries till T8, and even then just on the KM BBs. The others catch up at T9, though, if memory serves. Thus, the best at T5 and 6 are, in all likelyhood, not gonna be very good. Maybe if you close the distance into extremely close ranges, but the range just isn't there yet.

That said, if one ignores the tech tree part, Mutsu's torps might compliment such a thing very nicely. And if one goes even lower you have Mikasa at T2 and Ishizuchi at T4, both of which having pretty nasty secondaries, assuming you get in range.

However, a wild guess at the best secondaries on a tech tree T6 BB would be Bayern, though I don't remember them being especially noteworthy.

Although, maybe Kongou at T5 might do the job. Regardless of what secondaries she may or may not have, she has speed others lack, making getting in that range extremely doable.

IMO, the best Tech Tree Secondary Spec BB Candidates are:

Tier V+ German BBs

Tier IX-X French BBs

USN BBs, with the exception of Premium Massachusetts, have very mediocre Secondaries, IMO.  The main problem with USN BB Secondaries are ROF and range.  Only Mass is the one that fixes those problems.  Even Montana, who finally takes care of the ROF issues, has poor Secondaries range compared to the likes of High Tier German BBs, Alsace, Republique.

French?  I know some have taken Lyon in Tier VII with Secondary Spec but I never felt comfortable doing that in a PVP setting because of her soft protection.  Even then, the range is good for Tier VII, i.e. around 7km, but you'll be dealing with long range secondaries from the likes of Bismarck, etc.  Richelieu and Jean Bart have terrible Secondary gun positions, terrible gun arcs.  Otherwise, Jean Bart has the same potentially good Secondary guns as Alsace.  Alsace has a potentially very good Secondary suite.  Long range, very fast firing guns.  But the heart of her Secondaries are 100mm guns and will have tremendous problems penetrating without IFHE.  IFHE Secondary Builds are extraordinarily expensive builds to implement, leaving very little points for anything else.  However, some Secondary Spec Alsace users just skip out on the costly 4pt IFHE and just get DE instead and make it a fire starter.  Republique is pretty beastly in her Secondaries.  Better yet, they're mostly 127mm guns and don't need IFHE to do their work like the 100mm ones do.

RN BBs, except for Premium Tier VI Warspite, are straddled with terrible Secondary guns like USN BBs are.

IJN BBs?  Range and ROF are a problem for most.  Some are a bit too squishy to bring into a brawl.  Fuso in Tier VI for example has tons of guns but she is also very easy to punish in a brawl.  Nagato has decent range in her Secondaries and a good number of guns, but she is in a tier bracket with the likes of Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Alsace.  Some guys do Sec.Spec Amagi.  She's actually decent in that but the range is nothing special in Tier VIII, especially compared to Ze Germans.  Izumo, Musashi, Yamato get longer ranges for their Secondaries.  But in today's game with all these specialized brawlers, the citadel "cheek" on Yamato-class, I'm not so sure Secondary Spec and trying for brawls is a good idea.

The German BBs are purpose built for the brawl.  Numerous, good Secondary Spec candidates, far more than the other BB Lines and you don't need Premiums to do so like the USN BBs.  Even better, they got turtlebacks that make them more annoying to try to citadel.  Tier VII on, they have thicc 50mm decks where lots of HE shells fall on and non-pen against you.  They also tend to have respectable to good speeds.  The catch is their protection scheme is specialized for the brawl, so those vertical AP Bomber attacks are dangerous.  Of all the BB Lines in the game, German BBs are the only ones that are exceedingly vulnerable to air attacks as a whole.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
37 posts
3 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

I had a match on the Montana once where some DD hiding in smoke kept firing HE rounds at me and setting me ablaze.

So I rushed his smoke with my Montana going at full speed.

He fires his torps, I dodge most of them and tank a few of them with premium consumables.

The DD, which turns out to be an Akizuki, then becomes visible once I got close enough. He tries to run away.

My Montana goes full broadside and unleashes a barrage of HE shells and secondary gunfire. Needless to say, the poor DD didn't get away.

It was a good match. Brawling with the Montana is indeed fun!

[TBOW]
Members
1,753 posts
12,135 battles

Brawling is how I got my first 200K+ game the other day in the Black Mass.  The poor Amagi I chased and Abused was like 97K of that.

2018-12-03_15-37-41.thumb.jpg.7954d693aaa1405dcdd7ac9a0dd9300f.jpg

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,655 posts
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

shot-18_12.17_21_44.01-0299.thumb.jpg.11de2ba3be939b7e0d530044a9742b72.jpg

Especially in a  Massachusetts:Smile_trollface::Smile_playing:liked her so much I got her sister too and on purpose:cap_rambo:

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
18 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Especially in a  Massachusetts:Smile_trollface::Smile_playing:liked her so much I got her sister too and on purpose:cap_rambo:

Watch some of Flambass' videos on the Mass, he really does well with it.

[TDRB]
Members
2,540 posts
7,327 battles
7 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Brawling in a BB is fun. But one must have situational awareness. Charging in blindly will make red team DD's very happy. Charging in at the right time makes a brawling BB very happy.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Brawling might be fun, but its not very effective. Most of the times it gets you killed.

Members
22,445 posts
5,792 battles
6 hours ago, Bianchi4Me said:

I'm game to try it.  What's the best tier 5 or 6 tech tree BB to use as a platform for a secondary gun build?  

I would say Konig at T5, Warspite at T6.

Although, with the removal of AP for secondaries, Kongo, Fuso, and Bayern might be in there too.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,879 posts

My favorite BBs overall are the Gneis, Scharn, and Tirp.  I get into torp and secondary range when the opportunity arises, like when a torpedoless ship presents itself alone... nothing quite like making a ship two tiers higher who thinks he's all that pay for letting me get too close.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,189 posts
10,549 battles
8 hours ago, Bianchi4Me said:

Konig. Max the range on the secondaries and then build for survival. 

WASD like a drunk.