You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OttoVonPrien

With New CVs will we be compensated for lost commander xp?

38 comments in this topic

[KMS]
Beta Testers
73 posts
12,047 battles

I don't remember reading about what will happen to all those CV commanders without a ship. Did I miss it?

If they just go to reserve, Besides the cost of retraining and reskilling I will be screwed as I will never have a ship to put them on.

I have every American tree ship but one (except for 3 sold tr2-3 ships) and  will get that last  tr 10 in a week or two max.

already have a commander for it and a bunch of excess reserve 10  to 6 pt captains.

So WG to be fair all that  "lost" cmdr xp needs to become free cmdr. xp

My Japanese situation is similar, with reserve already overflowing with more commanders than ships left to buy.

will that issue be addressed? anyone know?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
12 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

I don't remember reading about what will happen to all those CV commanders without a ship. Did I miss it?

If they just go to reserve, Besides the cost of retraining and reskilling I will be screwed as I will never have a ship to put them on.

I have every American tree ship but one (except for 3 sold tr2-3 ships) and  will get that last  tr 10 in a week or two max.

already have a commander for it and a bunch of excess reserve 10  to 6 pt captains.

So WG to be fair all that  "lost" cmdr xp needs to become free cmdr. xp

My Japanese situation is similar, with reserve already overflowing with more commanders than ships left to buy.

will that issue be addressed? anyone know?

Not announced as far as I know, but with how widespread the CV changes are, I would be very surprised if there was not a free Cmdr respect when the CVs come out.

• Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,360 posts
5,726 battles

I'm guessing there will be a free respec when the new carriers are released, given the skill tree changes across the board. As to whether elite captain XP Will be given out to help with retraining orphaned captains, they've done so with line splits in the past, so there's a reason to hope they might do so again. 

• Cool 1

[KMS]
Beta Testers
73 posts
12,047 battles

My BIGGEST complaint is that just a free retraining & reskilling Captains will do nothing for me, I Have all the US ships but 2CVs and 10 pt capts in reserve, so I will Never be able to use them and the cmdr xp will be lost forever unless I can move it to free cmdr xp.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,200 posts
6,652 battles

I read something on the forums today stating that all CV captains would have their skills reset.

So it appears we are NOT getting a global respec with the CV rework. Damn.

[BUOY]
Members
295 posts
9,255 battles
3 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

My BIGGEST complaint is that just a free retraining & reskilling Captains will do nothing for me, I Have all the US ships but 2CVs and 10 pt capts in reserve, so I will Never be able to use them and the cmdr xp will be lost forever unless I can move it to free cmdr xp.

Put your 'spare' captains on your favorite boats, but with a different spec.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
23 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

There will be a second tree of US and IJN CVs coming out. So you will have 4 CVs at first and then 3-4 more later.

19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I read something on the forums today stating that all CV captains would have their skills reset.

This would stink. I would want to reshuffle some of my builds and people that don't have AA builds, would probably want some AA build skills if CVs are more prevalent.

thirZsi.jpg'

DCCA, BFT, AFT and MFCAA are all changing significantly from what they are now, so we should be able to respec DDs, CL/CAs and BBs as well. AFT is a priority over MFCAA as it increases the range of all AA guns now, whereas MFCAA only affects large caliber AA. But depending on how AFT increases the performance and MFCAA changes the priority sectors, that might need to be reversed. Same with BFT. Right now BFT affects all AA, but after 8.0 it will affect only close range AA and that could be significant. DCCA will be a BIG change for those that use it with spotter planes now as after 8.0 it will no longer work on spotter planes, but only on catapult fighters.

@Radar_X, @Gneisenau013, @iKami, @turbo07, the CV compensation in the article below mentions CV Cmdrs getting the skills reset, but nothing for other Cmdrs. Will there be a reset for other ships as well?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/carrier-underwood/

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

BFT and AFT are getting shafted, and each should drop 1 level, to a 2 point and a 3 point skill respectively.

Depending on what they affect and by how much, it might be nice.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,200 posts
6,652 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Right now BFT affects all AA, but after 8.0 it will affect only close range AA and that could be significant.

I must shamefully admit, the only reason I spec into BFT is to increase the rate of fire of (most) destroyers. Which reminds me, I will soon be in the lofty realms of German destroyers that can't make use of it for one variant of their main armament. Given the usefulness of German DD hydro, however, a build that looks something like PT + LS + SI + CE for the first 10 points (identical to my British cruiser build, LOL) might be more valuable and universal.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
7 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

AFT will no longer extend AA range.  That's a huge loss.

BFT will only affect short-range AA, not medium or long.  Again, a huge loss.

That's going to be my loudest and biggest feedback in the PTS... it's one thing to lose a game mode I haven't been able to play since they ruined USN carriers, it's another thing entirely to lose my ability to fight off carriers when they show up.

[A_51]
Members
796 posts
17,906 battles
48 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That is truly lame.  I'm guessing most of us have not specced our commanders or or ships for AA because carriers have been so rare in the game.  If a lot more people start playing carriers due to the rework, we're going to be in a bind, having to pay in doubloons to reset our commanders and in credits to switch out modules.  I will be very disappointed with WG if you turn out to be correct.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
2 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

That is truly lame.  I'm guessing most of us have not specced our commanders or or ships for AA because carriers have been so rare in the game.  If a lot more people start playing carriers due to the rework, we're going to be in a bind, having to pay in doubloons to reset our commanders and in credits to switch out modules.  I will be very disappointed with WG if you turn out to be correct.

Whereas I have BFT and AFT on almost every captain, unless the ship has no AA, no secondaries, and guns too big to benefit.

Which means my standard build it going to be totally screwed over by the "rework". 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles

9 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:
18 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:
20 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

BFT and AFT are getting shafted, and each should drop 1 level, to a 2 point and a 3 point skill respectively.

AFT will no longer extend AA range.  That's a huge loss.

BFT will only affect short-range AA, not medium or long.  Again, a huge loss.

That's going to be my loudest and biggest feedback in the PTS... it's one thing to lose a game mode I haven't been able to play since they ruined USN carriers, it's another thing entirely to lose my ability to fight off carriers when they show up.

But AFT will increase AA performance, by what we don't know. What will be considers short range for BFT and where will it cut off? Also how much of an increase to close range AA will BFT get, we don't know. I definitely think ALL Cmdrs should get a reset, but depending on what BFT and AFT do after the rework, it might not be warranted to drop them a point as well.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

But AFT will increase AA performance, by what we don't know. What will be considers short range for BFT and where will it cut off? Also how much of an increase to close range AA will BFT get, we don't know. I definitely think ALL Cmdrs should get a reset, but depending on what BFT and AFT do after the rework, it might not be warranted to drop them a point as well.

That "performance increase" would have to be HUGE to make up for the loss of the 20% range increase. 

"Short range" AA is pretty much anything smaller than the 37mm and 40mm "medium" AA guns. 

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That "performance increase" would have to be HUGE to make up for the loss of the 20% range increase. 

"Short range" AA is pretty much anything smaller than the 37mm and 40mm "medium" AA guns. 

Are we sure on that? I think the cut-off will be somewhere around 25mm to 57mm, but where? That can make a big difference depending on the ship.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
16 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Are we sure on that? I think the cut-off will be somewhere around 25mm to 57mm, but where? That can make a big difference depending on the ship.

The Bofors 40mm has been, somewhere in this whole thing, mentioned as a "medium" AA weapon.

[PTRGT]
Members
218 posts
28,517 battles

Wait to they discover you can no longer select incoming Aircraft for your AAA to target with you mouse. You have to select buttons on you keyboard for left or right side of your ship (port or Starboard) constantly adjusting as planes cross over our circle around you.

So while CV people are "Too stupid" to handle 2 things at once how are the  non CV ship captains smart enough to Fire at ships, dodge torps from DD or CL adjust to deal with aircraft  and then pick what side the planes are coming in and select the correct AAA all at the same time?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
9 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

Wait to they discover you can no longer select incoming Aircraft for your AAA to target with you mouse. You have to select buttons on you keyboard for left or right side of your ship (port or Starboard) constantly adjusting as planes cross over our circle around you.

So while CV people are "Too stupid" to handle 2 things at once how are the  non CV ship captains smart enough to Fire at ships, dodge torps from DD or CL adjust to deal with aircraft  and then pick what side the planes are coming in and select the correct AAA all at the same time?

Yeah.

The whole "multitasking is too hard" thing is nothing more than a transparent excuse.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,467 posts
4,377 battles
10 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

I'm guessing this is done to create an illusion of "minimizing the RNG." AA has been pretty much all RNG up till now, but with this whole "choose a sector around your ship" it would feel like the ship captain is actually doing something... when it's still all RNG, lol.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
6 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

It was never that CV people are "too stupid" to handle 2 things at once, but that only 4-5% of humans can *actually* multi-task. The rest of us just switch tasks rapidly and think that is multi-tasking. Switching tasks is not as efficient as working on one task or even actual multi-taskers doing multiple things. Rapidly shifting tasks, makes all the tasks suffer. When you get to the upper tiers of CV and have 5+ squadrons, it is very easy to drop one and realize that it has been waiting for your commands some seconds to minutes later.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Largely irrelevant.  (And 50/50 there will be a study tomorrow that invalidates this study, as is always the case with psychology, and anything about diet.)

Regardless of whether a person can or can't multitask, the supposed multitasking problem has been used as an excuse for this rework -- while at the same time other ships are being given additional tasks to consider in the middle of combat.  

It's either a complete and total disconnect inside Wargaming, or the entire multitasking thing is just another excuse/lie.

• Boring 3

[PTRGT]
Members
218 posts
28,517 battles
17 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

It was never that CV people are "too stupid" to handle 2 things at once, but that only 4-5% of humans can *actually* multi-task. The rest of us just switch tasks rapidly and think that is multi-tasking. Switching tasks is not as efficient as working on one task or even actual multi-taskers doing multiple things. Rapidly shifting tasks, makes all the tasks suffer. When you get to the upper tiers of CV and have 5+ squadrons, it is very easy to drop one and realize that it has been waiting for your commands some seconds to minutes later.

That's Wargaming smokescreen to repeated requests from the CV Test server to let us control our CV's and planes at the same time. That was one think request over and over again by the testers!.

Currently when I see the collision avoidance message pop up or notice a incoming air attack on my CV and I would just adjust the speed or hit the Q or E key for order a hard turn with it currently.that was all we were asking for but they said most player can't handle multi tasking.....

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,809 posts
48 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

That's Wargaming smokescreen to repeated requests from the CV Test server to let us control our CV's and planes at the same time. That was one think request over and over again by the testers!.

Currently when I see the collision avoidance message pop up or notice a incoming air attack on my CV and I would just adjust the speed or hit the Q or E key for order a hard turn with it currently.that was all we were asking for but they said most player can't handle multi tasking.....

Yeap.

One has to wonder why it is that they think it's better to make the carrier itself largely automated, than it is to do the simple thing and let players control the carrier without ditching a flight that's 90% to the target. 

It's not like any other ship has to recall shells or torpedoes that are 90% of the way to the target if they want to turn their ship.

It almost seems to imply that the aircraft, and not the ship, are the player's "focal point", with the ship just a placeholder to allow other players to attack the player's presence in the game directly.   And that would be a direct contradiction to the assertion that's been made that this makes carrier play "more like other ships" and "more engaged in the gameplay" -- another example of the rework doing exactly the opposite of what WG tells us it's supposed to be doing.

• Cool 1