You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fast_Battleship_Iowa

Anti package thief glitter bomb

19 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
1,672 posts
8,823 battles
22 minutes ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this video, having had encounters with package thieves and revenge plots of my own before!

3D printing has been a milestone for projects like this. The time machining this product would have have taken awhile. Porch Pirates are a scourge for sure.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,279 posts

Hehehe, yeah, saw this earlier. Rober does damn fine work

[HINON]
Members
10,639 posts
37 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I know it's a thing in the U.S, but is it that widespread? Just curious.

It's become more common recently and is quite the plague especially in large cities in California like San Francisco along with smash and grabs of items in vehicles. Very few perps get caught so the risk is low while the reward is pretty high.

Edited by RipNuN2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,186 posts
10,885 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's become more common recently and is quite the plague especially in large cities in California like San Francisco along with smash and grabs of items in vehicles. Very few perps get caught so the risk is low while the reward is pretty high.

One thing I noticed in the video and in other security cam footage is the homes are built extremely close to the street most of the time this is happening. One thing you can to is to give instructions to not leave the package if no one is home, it is far easier to go to the local UPS or other delivery service the next day than to get your goods replaced.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,148 posts
15,261 battles

I approve of this project. My sister lives in a fairly large city in the Eastern Time zone of the USA and has had stuff stolen off her front step. She is a work at home mom of one so is always on hand to get her mail. An the mail personal are good about not leaving stuff out in sight. Why they would steel flower pots and seasonal deco is still puzzling. 

But as more people buy more stuff off the internet and just sits on their front porch before they get home, you can expect this kind of crime to increase. 

This is such a big problem Amazon is sitting up Lockers at stores where you can have you stuff delivered and can pick up after work. Saw one in a Whole Foods, you entered a code into the computer interface and it would open the locker with you stuff in it. Heck a few years ago 7-11 came out and said you could have your package sent to your local 7-11 where they would hold it for you. 

Personally I would build a strong box bolted to my house with a padlock and tell the delivery people to drop the loot in the box and snap the lock before they leave. Because I don't want to spend my money just so some scum can steel it from me. Thankfully I live in a rural area and the mail man is cool, he doesn't leave stuff where it can be stolen. 

[WOLF2]
Members
412 posts
12,892 battles
7 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

This is not the only video like this on youtube. I've watched a number of them.

[SOUP]
8,279 posts
9 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Not that I've seen, we here in Canada have to either pick it up at the post office or have to sign for the package or it won't be delivered

[HYDRO]
Members
2,783 posts
4,568 battles
10 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Not that I've seen, we here in Canada have to either pick it up at the post office or have to sign for the package or it won't be delivered

Same in my country. Seems in the U.S.A it's not that much the case :Smile_bajan2:.

Members
1,944 posts
2,492 battles
13 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Just now, warheart1992 said:

Same in my country. Seems in the U.S.A it's not that much the case :Smile_bajan2:.

Same here as well.

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

You can specify that a signature be required but for the most part packages are just left on the doorstep. Relatively few package actually are stolen versus the 20 million or so delivered each day in the US by Fed Ex and UPS. Requiring signatures for each and every package delivered would slow the delivery system down immensely. 

[WOLF2]
Members
412 posts
12,892 battles

I used to own a mail services business called The Mailbox. One time I had a customer call and complain about a package they had shipped UPS through me. The UPS driver threw it over the fence into the back yard which ordinarily would not be a problem but this package contained a bunch of sausage and there was a dog in the back yard which ate it all. 

Another time a customer called to say the package they had shipped through me had not been delivered. After contacting UPS, who contacted the driver who made the delivery, UPS told be to tell the recipient to look behind the big bush near the front door.  Ya, how many people look behind their bushes to see if they have  received a package but it is a good way to keep the package from getting stolen.

UPS drivers are under a lot of pressure to get their deliveries and routes done on schedule so they cannot spend much time on each delivery.

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles
17 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

US here, sign for package seems to depend on the cost of it.. Or the shipper's instructions. Not sure exactly how much it has to be, I've had to sign on some stuff worth $25 and other times $100+ packages have just been left on my porch. I'm pretty sure you can adjust whether it has to be signed for some delivery services.

Edited by Fast_Battleship_Iowa

[SOUP]
8,279 posts
9 minutes ago, Fast_Battleship_Iowa said:

US here, sign for package seems to depend on the cost of it.. Or the shipper's instructions. Not sure exactly how much it has to be, I've had to sign on some stuff worth $25 and other times $100+ packages have just been left on my porch. I'm pretty sure you can adjust whether it has to be signed for some delivery services.

General rule up here is if it's too big for your mailbox, you have to sign for it, regardless of price. People saying it wastes time and slows down delivery baffle me... which is better? Having the delivery person be delayed a couple minutes occasionally to get a signature of a confirmed delivery? Or having your product stolen with no hope of return and unlikely to get a refund?

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles
4 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

General rule up here is if it's too big for your mailbox, you have to sign for it, regardless of price. People saying it wastes time and slows down delivery baffle me... which is better? Having the delivery person be delayed a couple minutes occasionally to get a signature of a confirmed delivery? Or having your product stolen with no hope of return and unlikely to get a refund?

Maybe I've just gotten a lazy delivery person, but occasionally I've had some boxes so big they were practically crammed into my mailbox. Never had anything damaged thank god, but I've had some where I had to loop some cord around the back of it to dislodge the box.

[WOLF2]
Members
412 posts
12,892 battles
12 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Unless it's changed since 2008, when all UPS deliveries were guaranteed to be delivered by a certain time of the day or by the end of a certain day,  UPS drivers are under a lot of pressure from their superiors to maintain the schedule on their routes.  If the drivers leaves a package on the porch and the recipient claims they didn't get it UPS will pay a claim on the contents and refund the shipping cost, and,  the driver is not in trouble. If you pay for a guaranteed delivery by 12 noon and it gets delivered at 12:01pm you can get a full refund of the shipping cost and the driver might get in trouble for not keeping their schedule. In the long run it costs less money paying claims versus paying refunds for late delivery.

Every now and then my drivers would have a 'time efficiency  expert' with him on his route who would follow his every footstep and show him how to save time on their deliveries.  Whenever I saw the driver pull up with someone else in the truck during the non-Christmas season I knew not to make small talk with him.

Edit: I should have used a gender neutral term since not all my UPS drivers over the 23 years I was in business were men.

Jennifer

image.png.82a361a1d60a6a3ab89567381ccd5bc5.png

image.png

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto