You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

New CVs....trade in to begin again or learn at high tiers?

20 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
873 posts
3,387 battles

Personally (assuming rework arrives safely in 8.0 with the UK CVs) I intend to experience all the 3 lines have to offer. Having leveled the IJN and US lines to high tiers I still intend to learn the new play style from tier 4 and only warily step into the tier 8 premiums after some experience there. Having a few times rushed into lines before the true experience came I would not dare touch a CV at high tiers immediately and believe the trade in is the sensible path. In my limited experience the tiers level to fast in WoWs (seemingly much slower in WoT...bout even with WoWP) to maintain a reasonable contribution to a team. 

[TDG]
Members
1,617 posts
7,837 battles
4 minutes ago, Sumwunskum said:

Personally (assuming rework arrives safely in 8.0 with the UK CVs) I intend to experience all the 3 lines have to offer. Having leveled the IJN and US lines to high tiers I still intend to learn the new play style from tier 4 and only warily step into the tier 8 premiums after some experience there. Having a few times rushed into lines before the true experience came I would not dare touch a CV at high tiers immediately and believe the trade in is the sensible path. In my limited experience the tiers level to fast in WoWs (seemingly much slower in WoT...bout even with WoWP) to maintain a reasonable contribution to a team. 

This seems a reasonable approach that I also intend to use.

[FYL]
Members
471 posts
1,977 battles

I found the higher tiers were better - if you could start at t10, you might have quite a bit of fun with the rework. The play never really changes significantly from t4 to t10, but t10 planes are tougher and faster, so actually survive a LOT more damage. T4 on the other hand is incredibly unsatisfying and so slow its boring - you don't even have torps to practice on yet, so you'd have to wait for those. Other than that, avoiding extra ships and knowing to move slightly erratically to defeat AA is all you need. There isn't any other defensive things you need to do for your planes and the controls are pretty simple - also, higher tier planes are easier to hit with. They tend to have more projectiles and allow your aim to move more before before losing accuracy, so the gameplay is easier as well at t10. 

And lastly, learning at t4 will make you more of a hindrance. Getting killed without doing anything at t4 means you aren't contributing for 2-3 minutes because of the travel time. With the Midway, you are constantly in combat even if you throw away planes.

The only other possible concern would be managing your actual CV-ship, but it sounds like that's automatic now anyway.

Edit: Clarity

Edited by Tanuvein

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles

I suggest playing a few in each tier starting with tier 4 before moving up to get a handle on the new system in the less punishing low/mid tier environment.

[WOLF6]
Members
873 posts
3,387 battles
2 minutes ago, Tanuvein said:

I found the higher tiers were better - if you could start at t10, you might have quite a bit of fun with the rework. The play never really changes significantly from t4 to t10, but t10 planes are tougher and faster, so actually survive a LOT more damage. T4 on the other hand is incredibly unsatisfying and so slow its boring - you don't even have torps to practice on yet, so you'd have to wait for those. Other than avoiding extra ships and knowing to move slightly erratically to defeat AA is all you need.

Yes good point. Well the t8 premiums are there. I wonder if its going to be the new AA/specs/modules etc are going to more a part of the learning curve too. Impacts everyone.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
35 minutes ago, Sumwunskum said:

Might want to wait until closer to Update 8.0 to see if there will be any compensation for keeping the ships that is better than selling and re-grinding. Right now it is pretty vague except for you can sell CVs top down for compensation.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,600 posts
8,217 battles

rework cvs in t4 and 6 require minimal player ability or input, t8 and 10 slightly more (but not much). Frankly, if you just want the ships, free xp them all. Even if you play like a potatoe at t10 in your cv, because they will now have less influence tm on battle outcomes, nobody will care.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,900 posts
10,901 battles
1 hour ago, Sumwunskum said:

I wouldn't trade them in, but parking the high tier ones outside of Co-op and working on some low tier CV's or grinding up the Brit CV line is probably a good way to learn. I'll probably be giving my Ryujo and T6 Ranger a workout for a while.

If they don't change from the special test, you'll want to skip tier 4 anyway, they weren't even functional CV's, they were things designed to torture the players using them.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,807 posts

You left off "take the refund and spend it on ship lines you HOPE Wargaming isn't about to ruin next".

• Boring 1

Members
2,065 posts
3,885 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I suggest playing a few in each tier starting with tier 4 before moving up to get a handle on the new system in the less punishing low/mid tier environment.

Tier 4 is...kind of a bad example.  I mean I agree with the basis of what you are saying,  but on the TST server T4 was not fun for me at all,  while T6 and up were actually entertaining.  But it just seems like kind of a meh thing to be like "Grind up to T6 to see if its REALLY enjoyable",  especially when that puts you in those T4 ships for so long.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles
11 minutes ago, Palladia said:

Tier 4 is...kind of a bad example.  I mean I agree with the basis of what you are saying,  but on the TST server T4 was not fun for me at all,  while T6 and up were actually entertaining.  But it just seems like kind of a meh thing to be like "Grind up to T6 to see if its REALLY enjoyable",  especially when that puts you in those T4 ships for so long.

The reason I suggest tier 4 is because it is CV's at their most basic and we have not really seen what they are going to play like in a true PvP environment. I think it is the best tier to get your feet wet with and am not suggest a long stay,  just a few matches and move up through your port.

[WOLF6]
Members
873 posts
3,387 battles
22 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

You left off "take the refund and spend it on ship lines you HOPE Wargaming isn't about to ruin next".

You really are upset about this rework aren't you? Never seen so many posts. I want you to embrace the rework to your bosom and be happy again! :Smile_hiding:

Yeah Coop is a very good idea and always should be the training ground for new ships. I did hear something small on the grapevine that tier 4 was being looked at.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,900 posts
10,901 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

The reason I suggest tier 4 is because it is CV's at their most basic and we have not really seen what they are going to play like in a true PvP environment. I think it is the best tier to get your feet wet with and am not suggest a long stay,  just a few matches and move up through your port.

I suggested doing tier 6 because they at least have all the tools. They have "attack aircraft", torpedo bombers, and dive bombers. "Attack aircraft" for harassing DD's, resetting caps and other utility use, Torpedo bombers for causing damage, and Dive bombers as extra aircraft to drop patrol fighters (maybe in the US Navy's case start fires).

The tier 4 CV's, as I last played them, were "Attack aircraft" and Dive bombers only. The dive bombers didn't have patrol fighters to drop (not that flooding the air with patrol fighters at tier 4 is a good idea), and if you were stupid enough to go IJN, you couldn't do any meaningful damage as almost nothing at tier 4 has enough armor to arm the AP bombs. If they even had a flight of 3 torpedo bombers that made a single aircraft attack with one torpedo per run, they might at least be a useful learning tool. As it stands right now, they're a waste of a tier.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,807 posts

You really are upset about this rework aren't you? Never seen so many posts.

Yes.  More than I think you'd believe.  RTS-light carriers and the USN fighter-heavy builds are what got me hooked on this game to begin with.   Lost the fighter part a little, now losing it entirely, along with that interface.

And as for the number of posts, well, every time I get a reply that says "if you can't support the rework then shut up", it makes me want to post all the more on the matter.

[RLGN]
Members
717 posts
5,732 battles

As I've said before, I intend to trade in back down to the Langley for the bonus FXP influx paired with the practice of regrinding.  I don't want to just start off playing it at a higher tier, it'll give me a chance to relearn.  I didn't get very far in the IJN CV line so I'll probably just stay at tier 6 there and keep going, especially because personally I don't want to play an IJN CV without TBs.  Call it a personal flavor issue.

Members
2,094 posts
1,237 battles
4 hours ago, Sumwunskum said:

You really are upset about this rework aren't you? Never seen so many posts. I want you to embrace the rework to your bosom and be happy again! :Smile_hiding:

Yeah Coop is a very good idea and always should be the training ground for new ships. I did hear something small on the grapevine that tier 4 was being looked at.

He's not the only one.

Why should we 'embrace the rework and be happy'? It solves none of the issues that have been raised for years, dumbs down the gameplay significantly, and continues to demonstrate how clueless WarGaming is about game balance and historical knowledge. They don't even understand how to drive the meta.

Have we solved the skill gap problem? Nope. Aiming your shots will be significantly harder. Managing DoT efficiently will be the same. Multitasking will still be required because your CV is still on the map. Coordination with fellow CVs will also be required. Location of fighter consumable will also be required.
Have we solved the permaspotting problem? Nope. Skilled CV players can still keep DDs spotted...in fact, it is easier now.
Have we solved the interface problems? Nope. We can't even control our hulls while our planes are aloft...hope you enjoy the DDs going to snipe the CVs every match. That's going to be the new meta.
Have we solved the massive alpha damage problems? Nope. American HE bombs can citadel cruisers. Full health battleships can be torped to death in under a minute.
Have we solved the disproportionate influence on the game problem? Let's see...spotting (not solved), damage (not solved), skill gap (not solved)...

...nope.

This 'rework' isn't going to make the game better. Anyone who thinks otherwise is drinking the WG Kool-Aid.

As for me...I'm getting compensated for my CVs. If I have to 'regrind' later, that's more fun for me.

I am of the somewhat heretical opinion that the game is to be played for fun...and that the journey of the grind is way more fun than racing up to Tier X...where the meta is stale and boring, the teams are full of wallet warriors, and I have to worry about the financial aspect of the game.

Ain't nobody got time or money for that crap. Whales think they do but they are fools.

[WOLF6]
Members
873 posts
3,387 battles
13 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

He's not the only one.

Why should we 'embrace the rework and be happy'? It solves none of the issues that have been raised for years, dumbs down the gameplay significantly, and continues to demonstrate how clueless WarGaming is about game balance and historical knowledge. They don't even understand how to drive the meta.

I was just being satirical in regards to the way many are saying that even though many dislike the rework....tough luck and learn to love it...which I don't necessarily believe. Personally, I think it has potential but I would never attempt to force others to my view.