You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shoggoth_pinup

Exeter coming!

32 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles

Ohh, I am so happy! A RN CA is already enough to make me happy, but a CA with smoke?! I think it might be the first CA to have smoke! I can just imagine what she'll do to the poor cruisers that show broadside, especially at T5!

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,895 posts
27,673 battles

Where did you read that? Sounds interesting.

Exeter had 3x2 203 mm guns, semi-decent AA and torps too in real life.

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles
14 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

It will have smoke it says so on the dev blog.

Which is what I said in my post.

13 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Where did you read that? Sounds interesting.

Exeter had 3x2 203 mm guns, semi-decent AA and torps too in real life.

The dev blog.

[CVA16]
Members
2,802 posts
10,545 battles

Smoke being somewhat a double edged sword though with 8" guns. Exeter could very easily be visible in its smoke after firing to ships it cannot see when they fire back at it from outside the smoke (DDs and CLs). Really  has to make sure there are no ships nearby when smoked up. Now as a way to avoid the "turn-of-Death" that most cruisers are faced with when they realize they must turn tail and run, this could be great. I assume it gets Brit cruiser acceleration.

[UTWE]
Members
223 posts
2,935 battles
1 minute ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Which is what I said in my post.

I was confused because you said. "It might be the first CA with smoke."

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles
Just now, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I was confused because you said. "It might be the first CA with smoke."

I'd rather not have to confirm if there are any other CAs with smoke is all, so I left room for that to be the case. It wasn't it having smoke that was a maybe, but other premiums instead.

[UTWE]
Members
223 posts
2,935 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I'd rather not have to confirm if there are any other CAs with smoke is all, so I left room for that to be the case. It wasn't it having smoke that was a maybe, but other premiums instead.

Right-o! all good.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles
7 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Smoke being somewhat a double edged sword though with 8" guns. Exeter could very easily be visible in its smoke after firing to ships it cannot see when they fire back at it from outside the smoke (DDs and CLs). Really  has to make sure there are no ships nearby when smoked up. Now as a way to avoid the "turn-of-Death" that most cruisers are faced with when they realize they must turn tail and run, this could be great. I assume it gets Brit cruiser acceleration.

Maybe they'll give her a smoke like the RN DDs. That could be interesting.

[KAPPA]
Members
122 posts
5,112 battles
2 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That, or if the smoke gets nerfed away.

7 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

That could actually be a pretty good safety net.  Be a vessel that would teach new players how to play heavy cruiser and give them a bit of a safety net.

If it stays, that is.  But yeah, with smoke how it is anymore, it's not even that big of a buff.  Could make her division real well.

[CVA16]
Members
2,802 posts
10,545 battles
4 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Maybe they'll give her a smoke like the RN DDs. That could be interesting.

I would assume it will be the same RN CL smoke. Just with the added danger that you are far less safe shooting from within than a DD or CL. However, as I said, the ability to disappear in a somewhat squishy cruiser is generally a good thing. Just have your hydro up 'cuz torps are on the way!

Interesting to see how this would stack up against the Furrytaco. The taco wins on torps (Exeter probably gets single fire, but shorter range) but what else?

Edited by Sabot_100

[TOG]
Members
3,026 posts
16,277 battles
12 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

If it's like the CL smoke, expect to get torped within 20 seconds or lit up by radar if you plan to pew pew in the opening-mid phases of the match. I'd prefer the British DD smoke where you use it break contact.

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles
Just now, Bill_Halsey said:

If it's like the CL smoke, expect to get torped within 20 seconds or lit up by radar if you plan to pew pew in the opening-mid phases of the match. I'd prefer the British DD smoke where you use it break contact.

At tier 5, radar isn't nearly as big of a threat. A threat, yes, but only from premium ships.

[CVA16]
Members
2,802 posts
10,545 battles
Just now, Bill_Halsey said:

or lit up by radar

I ASSUMED aT5, so very limited radar exposure. Now if it is T6, thing could be a bit dicey more often. Thinking Huanghe type ship.

[KAPPA]
Members
122 posts
5,112 battles

Stats from the devblog:

ST, British cruiser Exeter, tier V

Hit points – 29 400. Plating - 13 mm.
Main battery - 3x2 203 mm. Firing range - 14.3 km.
Maximum HE shell damage – 2850. Chance to cause fire – 15%. Maximum AP shell damage - 4550.
Reload time - 12.0 s. 180 degree turn time - 22.5 s. Maximum dispersion - 131 м.
HE initial velocity - 855 m/s. AP initial velocity - 855 m/s. Sigma – 2.00.
Torpedo tubes - 2x3 533 mm. Maximum damage - 15867. Range - 8.0 km. Speed - 61 kt. Reload time - 72 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.
Instead of choosing between wide and narrow spreads, captains can choose to fire off individual torpedoes or expend the entire launcher at once.
Maximum speed - 32 kt. Turning circle radius - 650 m. Rudder shift time – 8.4 s. Surface detectability – 11.0 km. Air detectability – 7.1 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 6.1 km.

Available consumables:
Slot 1 - Damage Control Party
Slot 2 - Repair Party
Slot 3 - Hydroacoustic Search
Slot 4 - Catapult Fighter / Smoke Generator

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with the best available modules mounted. These stats are subject to change during testing.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

48362924_2250378101955191_37351110762414

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
14,867 posts
11,351 battles

I expect the smoke to be the same as RNDD smoke.

a few puffs to turn around and run away, not something you can camp in

[CVA16]
Members
2,802 posts
10,545 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

I expect the smoke to be the same as RNDD smoke.

a few puffs to turn around and run away, not something you can camp in

Why? Why not the same as other RN cruisers. Think that would make it too good? You could be right.

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

Why? Why not the same as other RN cruisers. Think that would make it too good? You could be right.

8 inch guns have horrible detection in smoke, so the RN DD smoke could actually be a buff depending on why you want it. Most see about an 8km bloom in smoke if memory serves.

[KAPPA]
Members
122 posts
5,112 battles

Well...  she's slightly better than Furutaka in the stats that are listed, I feel.

RoF is quite higher, so even with lower Alpha Strike, she still has better DPM (in HE and AP), and that's with a longer range as well.  Dispersion is slightly worse, even accounting for range, but is balanced out a bit by slightly higher shell travel speed.

Torpedoes are a happy medium in damage, range, and speed compared to Furutaka's two options, and the single torpedo firing is a good option.  Furutaka does have the quad, so higher torpedo chance, but still, single shot RN torpedoes are quite useful even so.

The top speed is lower, but not atrociously so.  Turning circle is tighter, but that rudder shift is sluggish in comparison to Furutaka.  Concealment is 1.2 km better, though, so with a good captain (being a premium) she'll be better off in that regard.

It's not listed, but the AA should be about the same, thereabouts.  If she does get a fighter, it'll be limited charges, so smoke may be limited to 1/2 charges without buffs.  That, plus repair party, gives her some staying power.  So probably limited charges throughout.  (with Premium + Superintendent, that will become less of an issue).

Also, the bloom for firing the guns in smoke is 6.1 km, so that could be workable.

-

In all, a slower, but likely beefier (Repair Party) vessel that leans more on DPM than Alpha, doesn't maneuver as well, but might have slightly better armor to compensate.  I'd say better than Furutaka simply due to its premium status and likely having better captains, plus a more comfortable main gun system.

Edited by red_crested_ibis
  • Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
441 posts
5,151 battles
16 minutes ago, red_crested_ibis said:

Also, the bloom for firing the guns in smoke is 6.1 km, so that could be workable.

...Poor Neptune can't even keep up with a T5 CA? How sad. Well, at least it won't be as horrible as Neptune's 6.6km. That was the first ship I gave a hard pass on... Just wasn't fun.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[TACG]
Alpha Tester
361 posts
3,123 battles

Most of British heavy cruisers had armor that was somewhat comparable to their own light cruisers; however, I'm intrested in seeing this in the game.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
684 posts
5,939 battles

Looks interesting.

Id like to know what the firing from smoke range would be as well, considering its a CA.

But honestly, I cannot wait to see this vessel enter the game!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,151 posts
4,367 battles

I'm excited! There's always room for more cruisers in my book, and Exeter is a fine piece of history that could herald the coming of an RN heavy cruiser line, or at the very least give their existing cruisers some variety. I just can't wait to run into one with my Graf Spee.