You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
saintsfan1622000

Do you support adding Arms Race to ranked?

Arms race in ranked?   

54 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Do you support adding Arms Race to ranked?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2018 at 04:01 PM

36 comments in this topic

[NGAGE]
Members
343 posts
11,066 battles

The dev blog says the next season of Ranked will be Arms Race only. What are your thoughts? 

I'm personally infuriated. 

Cancel this silly change and let's have a normal season of ranked for season 11. Do that and I'll spend 5K gold on the perma camo for the Conq. 

Edited by saintsfan1622000

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,674 battles

It will keep things interesting and fresh, that's for sure, but we're definitely moving a long way away from what it used to be.

I think this would be fine for a high-tier Ranked Sprint competition, and I hope that's what it becomes; I don't like it from a regular Ranked viewpoint, not least because I'm not sure I can afford to run T9 ships that hard and for that long, even the relatively credit-forgiving Musashi.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

I though Arms Race was a garbage game mode. Don't really want to see it in any form, but... I also think ranked is kinda garbage too so... guess I can't say I really care about the marriage of the two lol.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,736 posts
11,088 battles

Sure why not it can not get anymore soul crushing than it all ready is.

snl saturday night live 1990s alec baldwin good times GIF

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
9 minutes ago, Sinboto said:

I mean it's a bit gimmicky but I don't see why not. 

A bit?   :cap_hmm:

[KSD]
Members
901 posts
5,279 battles

the post says that the arms race will be only played with tier 9. so maybe WG will introduce 2 types of ranked. the normal ranked as tier 10 and for those who wanna play arms race, tier 9.

The whole details havent been posted yet, and the clan battle season is still going on. So going by previous trends, ranked will be the next update or the one after the CB ends. so it still has 2 months so thats quite a way away

[SQUAD]
Members
8,017 posts
8,371 battles

Honestly, I'm not thrilled about this. Ranked was already difficult enough with people having at least a basic understanding of things. I wanted T9 Ranked, but this isn't what I, personally, had in mind.

More, wth the plethora of premiums at T9, we'll quickly be getting the P2W screams, and they'll have a point, just like they did when Ranked was T7. The T9 premiums are clearly better than the tech tree ships. People who had money to convert XP into free xp are at a serious advantage. People who could spend cash to stock up on free xp signals are at a serious advantage.

Missouri, Black, Jean Bart, Mushy, Kron, they're already strong as heck in Randoms, in Ranked, I'm afraid they'll be overpowered, and this is going to cause a lot of problems. As usual, WG really didn't think this through.

This is my personal opinion, I could be totally wrong. However, I remind you of how OP the T7 premiums were in their season.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
9 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I though Arms Race was a garbage game mode. Don't really want to see it in any form, but... I also think ranked is kinda garbage too so... guess I can't say I really care about the marriage of the two lol.

Arms Race isn't as bad as Twilight mode (ignoring the Halloween trappings).  However, both seem to be trying to push teams into brawling, which I really hate.  I think that what we're seeing is WG servicing the Russian server population, which from what I think we've heard from time to time, seems to prefer a short range brawling style of combat, whether it's in Tanks or Warships.  I can't rip WG for servicing their largest customer base.  But in the end, I do loathe being forced by the game to brawl.  Naval combat isn't about brawling.  And I prefer a more historically respectful view of the game.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,369 posts
7 minutes ago, lungiwear said:

the post says that the arms race will be only played with tier 9. so maybe WG will introduce 2 types of ranked. the normal ranked as tier 10 and for those who wanna play arms race, tier 9.

The whole details havent been posted yet, and the clan battle season is still going on. So going by previous trends, ranked will be the next update or the one after the CB ends. so it still has 2 months so thats quite a way away

Ranked has been struggling for numbers for several seasons now, I'm doubting they'll run two versions, when they have trouble getting enough players for one.

[DEP]
Members
221 posts
15,837 battles

Rather see twilight mode without all the halloween crud. It forces players to engage. Far better game mode than arms race with random boosters that do nothing but screw with the game. This isnt mario bros.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

Members
22,338 posts
5,780 battles
19 minutes ago, paradat said:

Sure why not it can not get anymore soul crushing than it all ready is.

snl saturday night live 1990s alec baldwin good times GIF

Heh, I can just hear them interviewing Betty White, with her saying that she hasn't had a cherry in her muffin since 1939....

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I foresee a lot more broken keyboards and rage posts than the average season. Ranked is already frustrating and a pretty tuff grind. The only thing that could make it worse is to introduce the chaos of arms race.

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
2 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Honestly, I'm not thrilled about this. Ranked was already difficult enough with people having at least a basic understanding of things. I wanted T9 Ranked, but this isn't what I, personally, had in mind.

More, wth the plethora of premiums at T9, we'll quickly be getting the P2W screams, and they'll have a point, just like they did when Ranked was T7. The T9 premiums are clearly better than the tech tree ships. People who had money to convert XP into free xp are at a serious advantage. People who could spend cash to stock up on free xp signals are at a serious advantage.

Missouri, Black, Jean Bart, Mushy, Kron, they're already strong as heck in Randoms, in Ranked, I'm afraid they'll be overpowered, and this is going to cause a lot of problems. As usual, WG really didn't think this through.

This is my personal opinion, I could be totally wrong. However, I remind you of how OP the T7 premiums were in their season.

I think that you're overstating things here.  I don't think that the tier 7 premiums were OP in general.  It was really just the Belfast that was the culprit.  I don't think that the Sims, for example, was OP at all.  A very nicely competitive DD that could do well, but hardly a DD that dominated battles in the way that Belfasts did.

I do think that the tier 9 premiums are probably stronger as a whole than their tier 9 tech tree counterparts, compared to tier 7 premiums vs tier 7 tech tree ships.  That said, there are some strong tier 9 tech tree ships that should be able to hold their own, such as the Iowa and Alsace for BBs, or nearly all of the tier 9 tech tree DDs.

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,084 battles

Tentatively no.

I think we’ll have to see how it turns out before passing judgment, but I don’t think something so gimmicky deserves to be in a competitive gamemode.

[187]
Members
1,263 posts
7,830 battles
29 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

So... your just commenting to hear your head rattle?

[CUTER]
Members
809 posts
20,959 battles

Looks like I get to take a 6 week break from "competitive" ranked play!

Edited by Kongo_Pride

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles
20 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't think that the tier 7 premiums were OP in general.  It was really just the Belfast that was the culprit.  I don't think that the Sims, for example, was OP at all.  A very nicely competitive DD that could do well, but hardly a DD that dominated battles in the way that Belfasts did.

One point that is worth making is that Sims (while not OP.. or even that good at all) does have a build in base xp modifier that makes it very easy to save a star with it. Atlanta has the same modify but not as easy to take advantage of.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
713 posts
5,624 battles
13 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

One point that is worth making is that Sims (while not OP.. or even that good at all) does have a build in base xp modifier that makes it very easy to save a star with it. Atlanta has the same modify but not as easy to take advantage of.

What's this about a base xp mod? I have both and had no idea.

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
24 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yes, I'm aware of it, Wuff.  And while it does affect the after battle results, it has no direct impact on your in-battle effectiveness.